It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jay Carney (Obama's Press Secretary) is floundering under pressure, say Washington insiders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Many did not like the previous press secretary - Gibbs - for his sometimes in-your-face, combative nature, but Carney seems totally the opposite. Is it possible, though, that Carney more accurately reflects the true nature and style of his boss, president Obama?

source

He gathers himself, embarks on a stuttering reply, pauses for what seems like an eternity, then starts gabbling, tripping over his words, rephrasing what he’s just said, then looking plaintively back at the questioner as if to say, “How did I do? Was that okay? Or would you like me to try again?”
“I think he’s doing very badly,” says a political contact based in Washington. “And I’ve heard others say that he’s really struggling.”

This is a pivotal moment in Barack Obama’s presidency, a moment when the eyes of the world are locked on Washington. In the global battle for hearts and minds, it is essential that the leader of the free world exudes an air of calm authority at this time. Yet the White House’s handling of the media in the aftermath of Sunday’s events has been breathtakingly amateurish, planting seeds of doubt about the legality of the operation and about Osama bin Laden’s death that would not otherwise be there. The constantly changing narrative – or “fact pattern”, as one White House official described it – suggests that the president and his advisers have been caught on the hop and have no clear strategy for dealing with the fallout from bin Laden’s death. This is epitomised by the halting, timid delivery of Jay – “How’m I doin’?” – Carney, who must bear some of the responsibility for this communications failure.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Glen Beck needs a job.
Bump

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's hard telling a bold-faced lie. Even if you have a little card with all your answers right in front of you. He looked like he was sweating bullets yesterday. Perhaps, hes having problems coming to terms with what he was told. I expect him to resign soon if this pressure keeps up and who could blame him.
edit on 5-5-2011 by ProjectBlue because: sweat not "sweet", goodness.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

Glenn Beck as Obama's press secretary? That would be funny!

I can see it now:

"The president wants me to tell you about this...but I'm going to tell you about this other thing instead!"

On the bright side, we'd probably hear a more positive spin on conspiracy theorists than we are right now.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
From the Bio of the Author of your Blog link:

Toby Young is the author of How to Lose Friends & Alienate People (2001) and The Sound of No Hands Clapping (2006).

I'm not attacking the messenger, I'm attacking the source. The blog author is a hired smear monger.

Notice NOT A SINGLE NAMED SOURCE? What "Washington Insiders?" More supposition, inference and conjecture. Do you still beat your wife? (Fallacy example)

I think he’s doing very badly,” says a political contact based in Washington. “And I’ve heard others say that he’s really struggling.”

Ummmmm. no source, no validity.
Hearsay. What a crock.

Funny, I expect more from you Centurion but I understand the Obama bashers are desperate as they swirl down the toilet drain.

edit on 5-5-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

How hard can it be to utter two words all day??

........................" NO COMMENT ".........................

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
From the Bio of the Author of your Blog link:

Toby Young is the author of How to Lose Friends & Alienate People (2001) and The Sound of No Hands Clapping (2006).

I'm not attacking the messenger, I'm attacking the source. The blog author is a hired smear monger.

Notice NOT A SINGLE NAMED SOURCE? What "Washington Insiders?" More supposition, inference and conjecture. Do you still beat your wife? (Fallacy example)

I think he’s doing very badly,” says a political contact based in Washington. “And I’ve heard others say that he’s really struggling.”

Ummmmm. no source, no validity.
Hearsay. What a crock.

Funny, I expect more from you Centurion but I understand the Obama bashers are desperate as they swirl down the toilet drain.

What's that old English saying, "The proof is in the pudding.?

It MEANS that if the guy is doing poorly it certainly should be self-evident to one and all. Does the blogger have a point or imagining and making up things?

(I personally don't care one way or another.)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I thought this guy, John Brennan, not Carney is who fuxed it up.

5/2/11

But obviously, they used him to make the first statements the day after Obama made the announcement Sunday night because they weren't very confident in Carney.

Brennan is the one that said it was a prolonged firefight, that Osama used a woman as a human shield, reached for a gun, and that he was living in a million dollar plus house. All of which are not true, but they weren't lies, that was just the government trying to give us information fast, and we should thank them for it.

edit on 5-5-2011 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The press conference about not releasing the photos had me tearing out my hair and saying "IS EVERYONE JUST GOING TO LET THIS SLIDE?" He was trying to tell reporters who were trying to make sense of the conflicting statements the white house released that anything outside of the little white house script would compromise americas ability to carry out these missions in the future or something to that effect. They were literally asking stuff like you said this, then you said this, which one is accurate which one can i report?

I was curious what type of information this guy is privey to before he goes out there. Do they just give him a script and that is all he knows about the topic? Is he fully breifed before he goes out there?

Seems like the more intelligent way to do it is give him as limited information as they want the press to have, pat him on the *#($&, and send him out to do the press conference.

After watching these things it seems like the former.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This entire thing...it is unbelievable. Literally. None of it. Not one bit.

They have been caught lying so many times, about so many things, that I do not believe anything that we are told. Remember Pat Tillman? Obama isn't the only liar around these parts.

Don't believe a single thing that you are told when it has a governmental source. I bet that even when they address an envelope, they lie.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I've watched Carney a handful of times and he does seem like he can't really handle the posistion. Its like watching a lamb surrounded by a bunch of wolves when he does a press conferance.

If Obama wins a second term I predict Carney won't be there with him. He might not last the rest of the first term.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
No official facts or official proof or cited references are necessary in this case. Just watch his daily pressers and you will see a man who is about to quit his job or !@#$ his pants. He will not last another 2 months. The press pool, tired of being bullied by Gibbs, will be all over Carney like white on rice and Carney will implode. I've seen it happen to managers who were over their heads and in too deep. The man can't keep up with the lies because is not an inside man like Gibbs was. Gibbs is probably second in line to Valerie Jarett in the pecking order of Obama's top advisers. Carney....No. He is just a reporter with a new job title. Time magazine, ABC news, etc. Gibbs is a "strong man", plotter and a political insider who has been with Obama since 2004.

There is a reason Gibbs left. He has to campaign again for his boss and he is no longer restrained by his job title. That's what Gibbs does. His press job was just interim until the next campaign cycle.

Carney is just another cog in the works and his appointment kind of has me stumped.
edit on 6-5-2011 by jibeho because: clarity

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Is it possible, though, that Carney more accurately reflects the true nature and style of his boss, president Obama?

That is funny, you learned that from FOX news

"Well Chip, some might say that obama is a Muslim Kenyan born in Indonesia"

"Why yes Laura, many people say that Obama is a Muslim Kenyan born in Indonesia"

"I don't know Chip and Laura, although it is entirely possible that Obama is a Muslim Kenyan born in Indonesia"

Maybe Jay Carney should go... He sweats too much

edit on 6-5-2011 by Janky Red because: JR's an AHOLE

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

I randomly watch C-span for about 5 min every now and then and definitely noticed this! He stutters a bunch and exudes very little confidence in what he is saying.

Too much pressure for a young guy possible.

He looks like he went door to door for Obama in '08

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
No official facts or official proof or cited references are necessary in this case. Just watch his daily pressers and you will see a man who is about to quit his job or !@#$ his pants. He will not last another 2 months.

Wooooo.......a "prediction" We'll see Jibe, but duly noted for posterity. Granted he's not quite as hot as Dana Perino but he does an adequate job. He had big shoes to fill with Gibbs (my Hero) departure. Some people misconstrue hearing facts they don't want to hear with poor performance.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by jibeho
No official facts or official proof or cited references are necessary in this case. Just watch his daily pressers and you will see a man who is about to quit his job or !@#$ his pants. He will not last another 2 months.

Wooooo.......a "prediction" We'll see Jibe, but duly noted for posterity. Granted he's not quite as hot as Dana Perino but he does an adequate job. He had big shoes to fill with Gibbs (my Hero) departure. Some people misconstrue hearing facts they don't want to hear with poor performance.

The poor perfomances we're talking about are more like the uncomfortable feeling you get watching someone else screw up. Like watching your kid stumble over their lines in the school play.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Update - from the latest PR fiasco involving obama's Israel speech:

TUESDAY:
Q: 'There's a draft of the speech floating around that says the president will urge Israel to withdraw to the pre-1967 borders'...

CARNEY: 'That report is completely false'...

THURSDAY:
OBAMA: 'We believe the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines'...

top topics

join