It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

it's the right thing to do because crimes are wrong. hell why even prosecute those caught shoplifting then? i mean it's covered in their shrink margins right? so no one was hurt. basically what you're telling me is, stopping crimes like this costs too much, or may get you hurt so better to just let them happen.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Sucks, but thats business

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Number 1 the guy shouldn't have been fired.

Number 2, the guy shouldn't have tackled the thief. Who cares? Best buy loosing out on a small sale? Ooo... big whoop. (although his passion is admirable, and if it was a local company, more power to him!)

Number 3, like stated, corporate item - who gives a flying #?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
it's the right thing to do because crimes are wrong.

Really? All crimes are wrong?

In Devon, Connecticut, it is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.

So the only "right thing to do" is prevent anyone from walking backward after sunset? Or is it possible that just because it is a crime, does not make your particular action against it the "right" one?

hell why even prosecute those caught shoplifting then?

Because they were caught comitting a crime.

i mean it's covered in their shrink margins right? so no one was hurt. basically what you're telling me is, stopping crimes like this costs too much, or may get you hurt so better to just let them happen.

Yes. I am telling you that Bestbuy knows how much lawsuits cost and how much laptops cost and they decided you need to keep your hands off. I do not see why you are so confused.

Let me try this way.

Let's say you and I are neighbors and while I am away one night, you see someone breaking into my home. Do you believe the "right thing to do" is some form of intervention? Be it calling the police to personally going over there. Anything. Would you feel the "right thing to do" is to at least try and intervene in some manner?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

In Canada, a few years ago, a man was sued because he broke two ribs of an old man while reanimating him, after his heart stopped... Can you believe that?

When I was 18, my boss sent me on a special shift to one of her many stores. She told me there were gangs, and to do everything in my power to stop thievery.

I was alone at the cash register when these three men get in. One goes to read magazines, another one came to ask me questions, his hand in his coat, and the last one was filing his pockets with whatever he wanted.
Oh, I had my hand on the 2 foot long wrench under the counter. But I showed with my eyes that I knew what was going on, no threat, and they left quickly.

Was I to get killed to stop a 30$ steal worth of candy?

Also, following a break-in at the transport company my dad was working at, he arrived at the same time his boss did. They started following the thieves as they had left traces in the inch thick snow.
Then my dad's boss stopped and facepalmed himself saying; "Shoots! We should have emptied more vans before calling the cops!"

Liability, security... profitability?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I don't. You're innocent until proven guilty. But he should not have lost his job.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Sad world isn't it..

There are too many lawyers and financiers..
They are both needed but not in the numbers we are seeing..

They really produce nothing and only add to cost..
Now they make things up to keep themselves rich...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Text Blue I am reminded of a similar story posted here last year of where three security guards chased and captured a criminal even though it was off there duty site. They were praised on here as heros. I ask, what is the difference? It is within us all, this feeling of right and wrong. So why should we punish someone for standing up for what is right? I made the same mistake when I worked at K-Mart. The loss prevention personel were too busy eye-balling the women that came into the store to stop a thief. I stepped up to the plate and did what needed to be done to prevent the thief from getting away. At that time I was not terminated for the actions I took. Instead, I was praised for protecting the company's products. Since when is it alright, or become common place, for us to step aside when we see something criminal? Have we lost our since of justice in this corporate age? There is a big difference between those that act, and those that don't. It's called a conscience. When someone is comiting a crime, it is our duty as a member of humanity to take a stand and stop it. But then again, I have old beliefs. In today's world, there is no place for honor.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Slightly off topic..

This reminds me of when I used to work part-time at an electrical retailer (15 yrs ago). Two guys come into the store, walk over to the TV section, unplug a 40" TV, pick it up and walk out of the store unnoticed by staff.

A member of staff was outside the store having a cigarette, and sees the guys coming out with the TV and asks the if they need a hand. They smile and let him help load the TV into the back of their car.

Was he sacked? No.

Did he become a laughing stock? Yes.

edit on 6-5-2011 by dsm1664 because: sp

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Maybe thief and management are cooperating for some reason, and they hired some guys to steal stuff out of the store and the "good emplpoye interfered?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Employees just shouldn't get involved, and sue the store they work for if they are punished for not doing anything.

There was an incident here in Canada maybe a few years back when a gas station employee tried to stop a guy from stealing gas (We used to be able to fill up the tank, THEN pay in Canada but not anymore) and was run over or dragged to death by the driver.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
It sounds like he was fired for tackling him. They probably some company policy, and he probably should have just got a good description and license plate number then called the police.
edit on 5-5-2011 by warpboost because: (no reason given)

I doubt they would have done anything with that information.

This was about 15 years ago, but I had just entered a department store as a guy was running out with a TV. There were at least 10 people around the exit area, and his accomplice was in a car just outside the door, with the engine running. It would have been incredibly easy to get descriptions of both guys. He threw the TV in the back seat, jumped in, and they took off. The store manager had chased the guy right to the door.

A woman told the manager that she had gotten the license plate number, but the manager would have none of that. His reaction? "Well he's gone now." He just walked away, presumably to call his insurance company.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I know where I am going if I'm broke and need some Christmas gifts! When being a hero means getting fired there is something seriously wrong. I wonder if the thief can sue for the emotional stress he suffered being apprehended red handed, you must understand it's pretty stressful on the mind having your crime stopped.
Can't wait for the day when the police adopt the same policy.
edit on 6-5-2011 by Dhimmie because: Love

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Bizarre. One of my best friends has been doing loss prevention all his life.
The stories he's told me are out of this world.
On several occasions he's had weapons pulled on him and one time a guy pulled a gun and tried to fire it at his partner. Luckily the gun didn't fire because the idiot either didn't chamber a round or the safety was on. In any case they beat the crap out the guy.

The employee is certainly lucky he didn't get hurt. Someone desperate enough to steal is certainly desperate enough not to get caught either. I don't think this guy should of been fired for what he did thought.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Thats just the way it is, and it is why stores have specific loss prevention agents.

I bet the real truth is, the loss prevention agents are union and that employee stepped over the union line and did their job for them while the agent was sitting on their ass in the back room. Union workers from my experience tend to have the attitude that they will work when they get around to it or when it fits their schedule.

Aye that is the number one problem I have with Unions. Most of their workers have a bad work ethic.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I worked at BB for about 4 years doing service work.

This is one of (maybe the most) leftist liberal companies in the US. They try to do all kinds of "team building"
garbage with one hand and then divide with the other.

They have TONS of special interest groups.

LGTB, Hmong, Black, Mexican, Female, you get the point. Nothing for white folks. Hell, by now they may have one for thieves LOL!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
so its solved then, people of the world.

DO YOUR JOB or WHAT YOUR TOLD, NOT WHATS RIGHT.

that honestly seems to be the final lesson that we see everywhere. like the guy that was arrested for saving a drowning girl in a river, that i seen posted here on ats a while back.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join