It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO sightings: the "Will Smith effect" examined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Independence Day came out and the figures went up - as they did when Mulder and Scully investigated the X-Files. Are UFO sightings really linked to Hollywood and TV?

There's certainly a UFO peak in years with a big Will Smith sci fi movie out - particularly 1996 with Independence Day and 1997 with the first Men in Black movie.

David Clarke, a UFO expert (he's also the UFO consultant at the National Archives) has spent years immersing himself in Freedom of Information requests to get whitehall to release the UFO files and he has supplied us with this data.

UFO sightings datas used for the infographic

Source

Original source - Flickr

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Your insight and comments are astounding! I completely agree!

As for the linked content, thats pretty dang cool. I like infographs! Interesting to see how pop culture effects our perceptions. Though I think thats a tally mark for the "Mass Hysteria" theory of UFO sightings.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If you analyze it carefully, it may be linked but when I see The X-Files, and it's very low, but it was actually an extremely popular show during the 90's.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is an important thread. I hope it doesn't vanish out of sight and mind, before anyone else after me gets to see it.
I had numerous anomalous ufo sightings in the late 1970's, --after-- Close Encounters Of The Third Kind came out. I used to know of this link which was a 1950 Rand Report document on "The use of superstitious beliefs for the purposes of psychological warfare" and I revisited the link some time later, and it didn't work anymore.
The friend and I who had the sightings, watched Spielberg's movie, and I'm afraid to admit, wished we could see real ufos. Then we got our wish. I always never discounted that advanced earth based exotic high technology from like, the Skunkworks, could, on purpose, in a black PSYOP, mimic Alien visitation, to cause strong belief.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Well, Close encounters was a big film back in the day so maybe some people saw what they wanted to see, after the watched the movie.

new topics

top topics

join