It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever donated plasma?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Im broke...gas is killing my budget and I am looking for work..right now I need a some money so I have decided to sell plasma.

Have you done it? If so what's it like?

This is pathetic..Im totally embarrassed to even have to ask these questions

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

i tried once then bailed out once they told me they werent paying, not that i wouldnt donate for free but i really needed money,still do lol

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I did one time. Filled the bag up in record time, nurse pulled out the needle, I sat up, and passed out.

Last time I did it.

Daughter does it often, but not for the cash, and she has no issues.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yes, I did it in the mid 90s about 4 or 5 times. Back then, I presume it is the same, when you donate plasma, the machine must pump the blood from your arm, centrifuge it to separate the plasma, then pump the blood back into your arm.

The last time I did this i commented to the nurse who ran the needle that it was really painful and something must have went wrong. But she shrugged it off. All was manageable during the withdrawal cycle, but when the machine started to pump the depleted blood back into my arm, I felt a great pain.

I looked down to see my arm swelling at a furious pace. The sight brought me to such a panic that I could not manage to speak for a few seconds, instead opting to slap the nearby attendant repeatedly on the back to get her attention while she was attending to my neighbor. When she saw the swelling arm, she turned off the machine and the pain subsided.

The attendant said she had went through the vein and that she would try again but I refused and was not paid.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I donate blood regularly. Have done plasma and it's similar, but takes a lot longer. The first time is the longest. Personally, I find he finger stick test the most unpleasant part of the process when donating blood or plasma, and it's about the equivalent of being snapped with a rubber band.

I donate blood maybe twice a year, and plasma if they call me, which has happened maybe 4 times in the last 20-some years.

I've never sold blood or plasma, so I'm not sure if, or why, that process would be any different.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

OP don't be embarrassed, it is a very tough time right now (as you know) and lots of people are broke!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Drink alot of water before you go because the plasma will come out faster and easier.
It isn't pleasant, but if you can withstand a needle and watching your blood be spun around in a weird machine then go for it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I give every 8 weeks - unit of plasma, unit of blood, unit of platelets.

No problem except my arm feels a b it cold when the're finished for a while and I'm thirsty as well.

All that being said, I don;t think (in the US) they pay fo rdinations any more - as I recall they stopped around 2000 or so. I do it because - it saves people and I'm really into Orange juice and Mini Oreos.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
they make us work ourselves to death for nothing and then tell us our blood isn't worth anything. i wonder how much it would cost if you needed a transfusion. seriously though they want it for free only to sell it back to you when you need it. i'll never give my blood for those profitiers. it only helps those who can afford it not those who really need it
edit on 5-5-2011 by JRage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I use to donate while I was in college. I always needed money and so did just about everyone else that I knew at the time. So, we would all load up each week and just make it a regular group thing.

This was about the only way we could pay for the cover charge and $5.00 long Island's at the nearest club.

I never had a bad experience but, I did usually feel really, really cold when it was over.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wait... there was a thread not too long ago that addressed possible long term health problems from donating plasma.... hang on... I'll try to find it....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
OK... here's the thread:

Plasma donation may result in premature natural death

If I was considering donating plasma I would want to get as much info as possible....

Good luck and I hope you're able to get back on your feet....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by obixman

Thanks for all the replies! We aren't as bad off as some(we still have our home, cars(older cars we own/no payment) etc..just costs going up and student loan debt is killing us at the moment.)

They do pay money here at the local university. 200 bucks/month-but i don't know the details beyond that. I know students donate quite a bit. I NEVER considered it because I had things in order..meaning a budget i counted on, savings, retirement..it's just the little things that are really squeezing us right now. If only food wasn't a requirement..I just can't bring myself to live on box food and top ramen..

I'm so stressed over the whole issue that today I drove out of the kroger parking lot with my hatch door on the station wagon open...people on the street must have thought I was drunk or something..when I get stressed out my brain malfunctions or something and I feel loopy and confused---

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Hey, just to let you know, I sell plasma twice a week. Tues and Thurs. You can do it twice within a 7 day period. The first time usually does take the longest because they tend to run a physical on you. Nothing big. As previously mentioned, make sure you get plenty of rest, drink LOTS of water and eat a good meal. (no dairy or fatty stuff!) If you do these things, the process will go really fast. I donate 880Ml and it takes me about 45 minutes to do. I bring home $220 a month doing this and I use it for gas and movies.

The finger stick isn't too bad. I too think it's the worst part but it's super fast. lol Then when you actually do start donating, take a deep breath right as they stick you and it's not so bad. You pump your fist repeatedly as the cuff is tight and then you relax as the cuff relaxes. Super easy! You get to watch tv, or read while you're doing it.

Also, not every place pays. The Red Cross and Oklahoma Blood Institute don't pay here so I go to a paying facility. Make sure you check it out.

The guy who talked about the needle going through and his arm swelling, that is called infiltration. It is painful and the bruise is amazing! lol But it's only happened to me once in the entire 6 years of me doing this. And I was at OBI for that experience, not the place I get paid at.

So there is some food for thought. Hope I have helped. Don't worry about. The needle isn't pleasant but I mean c'mon... you're getting paid to save lives and relax for a bit. You can handle it.

Also, I like your avatar! RON PAUL 2012

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I use to do it twice a week about ten years ago when I was in the Navy. The first time was the longest but it seems like the more you do it, the faster the process. When I went, they played movies that weren't out in theaters anymore but not on dvd yet. Depending on the tech that hooks you up will depend on how comfortable you will be. I still have a scar from the needle from one of the last times I did it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
^^ same as above

Twice a week when I'm in a cram and need cash. I usually try to avoid it though.

get $20 for first visit $30 for second visit. So $200/month.

biolifeplasma.com

Owned by baxter!

I really don't like doing it, I am concerned about the two things they put back in me. They claim it's sodium chloride and I can't remember the 2nd one.

Good luck!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
My friend used to do it twice a week for beer money.
He didn't have any complaints except that it felt weird when they pumped it back in because they replace the plasma in the blood with a solution that is cool.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I donated years ago for the extra cash. It was $20 for first donation and $40 for the second to be paid for both on second donation. After that it was $20/donation. I went for a few weeks but the wait was kinda long and some really dirty looking people were there and I noticed they didn't wipe or cleanse the donation chairs after each person.

The thing that finally got me was when they got in new machines the last time I donated and the nurse had to try 2 or 3 times to get it to work. Finally after she got it working, I was watching the blood go back in down the tube from the machine and a LONG line of air was in the line heading to my arm, like 1/2 the long tube was air in between blood. I sort of yelled at the lady to turn and look and she was talking with her head away from me saying "you'll be alright, just relax" as some sort of cued response to anything asked. I yelled in panic and she turned and quickly used a some sort of clamp thing right as it was about to enter my arm. I was about to pull it out. She squeezed the line and dragged it back with some clamp thing and said in a flat tone, "yeah that wouldn't have been good. Let me try again" I said no thanks and never went back.

I've recently thought about doing it again in light of how the economy and cost of living is going up. I think about that day and it's kept me from going back but I should get over it and just watch what is happening.

top topics

join