It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw "The Village" And it makes me wonder.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
IF U HAVENT SEEN THIS AND WANT TO, DO NOT READ]

I saw The Village today. It made me start to wonder.

At the beggining of the film, its revealed that the setting is in the 1800's. And there are apparently monsters that live in the woods surrounding their settlement. And, there was an oath made, because these creatures were hostile, nobody was to go into the woods. And "yellow" was a safe color, and "red" was a bad color. Red attracted them. I never got that part though. And u had to get permission to leave the village.

IF U HAVE NOT SEEN THIS MOVIE AND WANT TO SEE IT, READ NO FURTHER.

It turns out, that the creatures that lived in the woods were false. The blind woman, the main character, was brought into a shed that was "forbidden" which contained all of the monsters costumes. And they possesed one kind of technology. Audio. Thats where the noises they made came from. So bassically, the whole "monsters in the woods" thing was created so the people of the village could not leave.

Well, the one woman went to get medicine for her dying boyfriend with permission. She knew nothing of this, only of the costumes. And when she exited the woods she was brought upon a concrete road, on which a modern time security car was parked, along with a young man standing near it.

It turns out that all of these people who lived in this Village, were raised in disbelief, and it was made by a few people. The only reason these people were able to start this civilization was because one of the people was son of a rich man who owned the land.

The offspring of these people were raised, in their view, in the 1800's.

So this movie makes me wonder if maybe we are separated from something much bigger. I know it may seem weird, but its confusing, and I find it maybe it would be fun to investigate. I have some proof, though not completely solid.

It was said that this movie was written in the 1970's. But, after the death of John F. Kennedy, the government would not allow this movie to be in production. Its strange.

I think they didn't want it released before because maybe they knew something we didn't.

I think that all of these pictures of outter space we have seen are fake, perhaps. So the government could make us believe the "Earth" is as far as we, us the people, can go.

Aliens from outter space? How do we not know these Aliens aren't Us? Or creatures that live among us? Beyond the boundaries we realize. They could be coming here to see if we know they are there, or they are curious about us. Maybe they hear rumours where they are, about people living in abandoned places, and want to see if its true.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
It sounds like a pretty good movie. The concept is interesting as well. Keeping the majority of the population in ignorance about what really is going on is what those in - the - know are doing right now. I think that is what this movie is trying to get at.

This movie, from what you wrote, seems to be hinting at the reality that there is something more we are not privy to. Examples: Aliens, conspiracies behind impactful events like JFK assassination, 9/11, etc.

I think it sounds like an excellent film. Probably very relevant as well to our times, since so many people are 'asleep'.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I thought the movie was.... ok. To be honest, I would have rather just heard about it over the net. You could pretty much know what the "big twist" was going to be by watching the commercials.

But, yeah, I definitely know what you mean. Those people lived all their lives thinking they lived in a completely different time period, while all the time, only miles away, a normal civilization was going about it's normal life. Seems like it could possibly happen. But wouldn't they hear something from the surrounding people? Wouldn't someone stumble across them? Wouldn't an airplane fly over head at some point in time?

I don't think that WE are living in a VILLAGE type atmosphere, but they very well could be one amongst us.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
If someone could send M. Night Shaylaman back to the 1800s where he can't make anymore bad movies, that'd be greeeaaaat.

Aliens who disintegrate in water come to Earth and run around naked. Riiiiiiight.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio
I thought the movie was.... ok. To be honest, I would have rather just heard about it over the net. You could pretty much know what the "big twist" was going to be by watching the commercials.

But, yeah, I definitely know what you mean. Those people lived all their lives thinking they lived in a completely different time period, while all the time, only miles away, a normal civilization was going about it's normal life. Seems like it could possibly happen. But wouldn't they hear something from the surrounding people? Wouldn't someone stumble across them? Wouldn't an airplane fly over head at some point in time?

I don't think that WE are living in a VILLAGE type atmosphere, but they very well could be one amongst us.

Actually, during the movie, its stated that "It took forever to convince the government to send planes over there." And this thread isn't about the movie itself. Its a discussion about possible being isolated. o.o

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reminds me of 'The Truman Show' movie

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
The concept of the movie is to show how an authority can keep a society in ignorance and can stop them from progressing by using fear against them.
The fear doesn't even have to be from a real threat. Just one that has been instilled over a long course of time.

There are plenty of examples of this occuring outside of a Hollywood movie.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Flinx found a hilarious NY Post review of the movie (posted in the Politcal Debate forum), originally here: Village Fails to Deliver The Shivers

If you scroll down about half way through the piece, you'll get your modern political allegory all laid out for you.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This movie is one of those films that I rather read a book about it than watch the movie of it.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This movie is one of those films that I rather read a book about it than watch the movie of it.

It isn't based off a book. At least I don't think it is???

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I know and what a pity I would have love to read the book

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This is getting WAY off topic. o.o

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I have not yet seen The Village but now I plan to.

I had dismissed it as some cheesy scary monster flick because of the trailer. But the above description of the plot as well as the NY Post review posted by Rant clearly shows that it is one of those movies that examines constructed realities; movies like The Truman Show, Brazil, The Matrix, Gattaca, Bourne Identity, Manchurian Candidate (the original 1962 banned for over 25 years version!), 1984 etc.

The New York Post article (I know, I know, its the NYP
) hits on a constructed reality paralleling our current everyday lives under constant security threat.

I tend to think that this kind of movie serves as a warning that our everyday realities are constructed out of our perceptions of the information (whether written, seen or experienced) we let into our lives. These kinds of movies tend to tap into our natural fear or, for some; desire that something exists that is bigger than us. Some people read a book like 1984 and see it as a warning lesson and others read it and say to themselves what a great manual!

So the moral of these constructed reality tales is?

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I think you played right into their hands. The thing that they wanted you to be thinking as you walked out of the theater was What if we are living in the village? What if we are part of something bigger? Its completely possible, youre right, but it is far from groundbreaking.

As for the audio, I missed that point. I though they assigned one elder to go out into the woods and play dead pig in a red cloak and have them blow through bugles/whatever?

On the whole, I was mildly disappointed with the movie. I though it ok on its own merit, but I was expecting to see something completely different based on what I saw in the previews (Come on, go into the woods already!).

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Finally somebody who see's it my way! Yay! It could be possible. Ya never know till somebody find out.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
i liked the movie. it was a bit more complicated than some others of m. night shyamalan, but that just made it better. did anyone else notice the sub-theme about evil, which tends to show up in one form or another in shyamalan films - this time it was in contrasting different examples presented as if to say, "which one of these is pure evil?" and the examples were 1) the crimes that were committeed against the adults that compelled them to escape there, or 2) was it the 'creatures', or 2) was it noah? i bet on noah, who has the creepiest evil because he has no conscience or guilt.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
On a side note, I don't really think this movie was written in the 1960's or what ever you posted above. M. Night Shyamilan Wrote, Directed, and Produced this movie. I'm pretty sure he's not 50+ years old, which is how old he would have to be to have written this in the 1960's.

As far as the movie goes, it wasn't that great, but the twist at the end was awesome. That is what M. Night is most known for. The movie wasn't by any means "scary". What is scary, is the fact that this very type of thing could be done to a mass of people. I don't think it could be done to the human race by the governments of the world, as originally posted. Yet I think if you had the time and resources to trick the next two or three generations of your family, it could be easily pulled off in this fashion. Think of the possibilities. You could condition your children and theirs that they were ancient cavemen, having to spear an animal to death for food. So many ways you could trick them, and they would have no idea it was "wrong" until you unleash them on today's society.

God

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I heard an interesting rumor (which is most likely all bunk, but interesting none the less) that this movie was about our government.. or anti-bush? I didn't quite follow what the person was saying. Here's the jist of it, however:

You have Red as the "bad color" .... red is the highest level of threat on the Homeland Security Advisory System.
You have yellow as the "safe color"... which only kept the people kind of safe. Yellow is an Elevated alert. Not quite as bad as red, but not entirely safe either.
And (to add to what some others have already said) you got the false "fear" thing in there. Fear is being used to control the people of the village.

The government changes what level we're at... severe, low, guarded, etc. We may not even be at risk at all. They just keep us afraid to keep us in line. Or something like that.

Sounds like something Micheal Moore would say. (or has said) haha
Interesting idea, though.

-G-

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
i saw it and when the main girl climbed over the fence i was like "what the hell?"

SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE ELDERS MADE THE WHOLE THING UP?

i think that they wanted to get away from their past

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I.M.H.O. a very bad movie and a waste of money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join