It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN Scientist Closer To Discovering Whether Anti-matter Obeys Gravity, HoverBoard POSSIBLE!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

CERN Scientist Closer To Discovering Whether Anti-matter Obeys Gravity, HoverBoard POSSIBLE!

www.news.com.au

THE scientists who brought you the device that may one day destroy the world by sucking it into a black hole have a whole new terror to reign upon you.
Everyone knows gravity attracts matter — it's one of the reasons why we stick to the ground.
But how does gravity feel about antimatter?
According to the scientists at CERN — the same organisation responsible for the Large Hadron Collider — we're about to find out...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-5-2011 by discl0sur3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
We live in exciting times. More tangible results coming out of CERN. Not only are they on the verge of discovering the mythical Higgs Boson particle (aka God Particle) which is a hypothetical massive elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics, they've also taken MASSIVE strides in the direction of Anti-matter.

If this theory is proven, the implications would be overwhelming. That hoverboard that you dreamed of owning as a kid after watching Back to the Future could be sitting under your Christmas tree some day soon!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I don't see why anti-matter shouldn't obey the laws of gravity. It's just the opposite charge of 'regular' matter. Nothing changes in the mass.

With all that being said, I wouldn't want to have a skateboard powered by anti-matter. Just think of taking a spill and the board produces a leak. It would be 'bye-bye' neighborhood.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
lol partial post in and out at times
On topic though it seems gravity is a force that is influenced by another energy maybe magnetism of some sort. So this main force if fully understood could be reversed causing any matter to repel magnetic force. Things may only need to be designed that can adjust frequency to local magnetism scale. Craft would go thru space as it encounter magnetic fields of celestials the craft would sense and adjust to the magnetic pull of celestial -galaxy-black hole-dense dark matter fields and reverse it = of more depending on travel time/speed. This magnetic force would be similar to the force that pushes galaxies apart instead of them being pulled together (what is that?) Antimatter and gravity. It would seem the antimatter would create its own space around itself but some gravity influence would still be present in order to keep the antimatter particals managed in uniform antimatter sequence. W/ out gravity influence the antimatter would mix into something else from not having the basic partial support structure to manage the particles to work together. So in short antimatter is reacting to gravity.

My 2 cents

edit on 5/5/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Your title is a little misleading. They haven't yet confirmed it. S&F anyway it's an interesting subject.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
as stated in the article it would be the desired outcome if it did try to float away. the existence of an opposite force to gravity could help explain the "dark-energy" problem and possible explain the expansion of the universe. if anti-matter had a pushing force it would be interesting to say the least. it will definitely be hard for them to tell though as we are on the planet earth which has a rather large pulling power and they are creating a small blob which probably won't be able to create enough of a pushing force for it to be observed here.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
S&F for this thread. This project has always worried me a bit but the possibilities and the science could be the most exciting and inspirational outcomes for expansion of our minds and exploring our universe that we have seen in centuries.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

is it just me or isn't the whole reason to make anti matter for space shuttles propulsion and what not. Skateboards lol yeah i saw the movie too and yes it would be cool but im no longer 13. What would be even cooler would be a televised trip to mars or even more distant planets with the stuff.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by thegiftbearer

Yeah, I am trying to picture it in my head. Does that mean, that the outer reaches of the universe would be filled with a vast shell of antimatter?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GalacticJoe

thats the question though. we don't know much about antimatter and its properties and why we observe so little of it after there supposedly being nearly an equal amount realeased at the big bang. thats why this is seems so exciting, since we can start to study it since we can condense it for short periods of time.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I don't see why anti-matter shouldn't obey the laws of gravity. It's just the opposite charge of 'regular' matter. Nothing changes in the mass.

With all that being said, I wouldn't want to have a skateboard powered by anti-matter. Just think of taking a spill and the board produces a leak. It would be 'bye-bye' neighborhood.

No it wouldn't... if you've ever had a CT scan, these use antimatter as well...

you'd only loose as much matter as you have anti-matter....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TraptInTheSystem
Your title is a little misleading. They haven't yet confirmed it. S&F anyway it's an interesting subject.

The title didn't say the confirmed it... said they were closer to discovering...

Reading is Fundamental

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TraptInTheSystem

Lol, not my title my friend. It's pasted from the original article

Thanks for the S&F

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

is it just me or isn't the whole reason to make anti matter for space shuttles propulsion and what not. Skateboards lol yeah i saw the movie too and yes it would be cool but im no longer 13. What would be even cooler would be a televised trip to mars or even more distant planets with the stuff.

Haha...thanks for pointing out the obvious. I mentioned in the OP that the implications of this discovery is overwhelming, the hoverboard was just used as an illustration referencing the article.

I envision free energy as well as propulsion systems based on this technology, a hoverboard would just be....well, fun

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Im so geeked! I just want a pair of anitgrav-antimatter boats. When I am sick of floating around I can switch them to destruct

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

That was the first thing I wondered out loud too - but then it got me thinking:

If particles of the same mass but opposite charge produce an anti-gravity effect, this should hold all sorts of clues into the missing link between electromagnetism and the force of gravity. Oh snap!

Originally posted by GalacticJoe
Does that mean, that the outer reaches of the universe would be filled with a vast shell of antimatter?

I think you could look at it more like pouring water into oil. Little "drops" cling together to form galaxies, while simultaneously being repelled by all the water (expanding anti-matter) around them.

Also this makes me wonder: antimatter reacting with matter annihilates both but produces energy. If antimatter exhibits antigravity, wouldn't antimatter reacting with other antimatter (through collisions stronger than the force of antigravity) possibly produce "antilight" as well? I don't just mean "darkness", but something that when it encounters regular light, annihilates both into darkness.

Couldn't this then simultaneously explain dark matter (why it's invisible to us), dark energy (i.e. antilight and antigravity), and the expansion of the universe despite gravity?

Seems to me there is some very exciting symmetry here, and this research is loaded with potentially profound implications on all of physics, not just hoverboards!

Will be very curious to see what they uncover.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared
Also this makes me wonder: antimatter reacting with matter annihilates both but produces energy. If antimatter exhibits antigravity, wouldn't antimatter reacting with other antimatter (through collisions stronger than the force of antigravity) possibly produce "antilight" as well? I don't just mean "darkness", but something that when it encounters regular light, annihilates both into darkness.

Couldn't this then simultaneously explain dark matter (why it's invisible to us), dark energy (i.e. antilight and antigravity), and the expansion of the universe despite gravity?

Gonna quote myself because something else just came to mind along this front:

If you have antimatter particles repelling each other because of antigravity, then the universe should indeed be getting pushed out and expanding faster and faster (assuming antigravity gets stronger the further these particles are apart; i.e. opposite to regular gravity).

But what happens where antimatter and matter collide? They annihilate each other. Anti-matter particles by their nature should be very sparse (since they repel each other), and this could help explain why the universe doesn't just get utterly destroyed the moment these two are set loose, but rather coagulates into expanding clusters of gravitional matter surrounded by antigravitional (dark?) matter.

But over time, enough anti-particles should get destroyed that maybe the antigravity they produce gets weakened enough that gravity takes over ---> and so we have "The Big Crunch".

Universe collapses in on itself under the now dominant regular gravity, until it becomes super densely oversaturated and explodes again in another Big Bang.

Creation, Destruction, Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I did read the OP.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Now of course like many things I can only relay what information I have found --- But as I understand it anti matter alone segregated in a vaccuum can be contained --- but if in theory it comes into contact with any type of aka regular matter --- the release of energy from the tiniest particles they have in the LHC would be I think they said millions of times greater release of energy than hiroshima

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
My question is if your body is completely annihilated by antimatter would it also destroy your soul?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join