It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TX Teacher Suspended After Telling Muslim Student 'I Bet You're Grieving'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

A Texas high school teacher has been placed on administrative leave following an incident where he allegedly told a 9th grade Muslim girl in his algebra class "I bet that you're grieving" on Monday following the death of Osama bin Laden. According to one parent at Clear Brook High School in Houston who spoke about the incident to a local ABC affiliate, the teacher also said, "I heard about your uncle's death." The parent said the student "understood that he was referring about Osama bin Laden being killed and was racially profiling her." The name of the alleged victim of the comment has not been released. She is being described as an "American-born girl of Muslim faith."

the reply from the school

In the Clear Creek Independent School District, we believe diversity strengthens our community and seek opportunities to celebrate the different cultures within our schools and neighborhoods. The sentiments allegedly shared by this teacher are not reflective of the staff at Clear Brook High School or anyone within the Clear Creek Independent School District. In accordance with CCISD policy, the teacher has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of a personnel investigation. The student did the right thing and immediately notified an adult regarding the teachers' comments. The principal at Clear Brook High School notified the child's parents and has been in communication with the family.

i truly believe that there are times when peoples idiocy should be put on display as an example.

eta; source
edit on 5-5-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Good, what an ignorant ass. I see this type of crap all the time, why is that some people assume that all Muslims, particularly American Muslims are OBL sympathizers, I've never met a single one.

Most Muslims I know are glad he's dead, he's done more to harm Muslims both in action and reputation than anyone else. It was due to him and his actions (if you believe the official story) that American Muslims have had to deal with insane amounts of racism and bigotry.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
That’s outrageous, and to a girl so young, what’s that about?

It’s the kind of "joking statement" one may say to a friend in jest but to seriously mean it, c’mon.

And then "And his response was, oh, OK, and just kind of smirked and giggled and walked away."

People wonder why education is in shreds and children turn elsewhere for their guidance and role models - good or bad.

Peace

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Pardon my French, but if this turns out to be true as reported, jesting or not, what a dumbass teacher and embarrassment to this country. This person should be fired not suspended. I sure as hell wouldn't want someone this ignorant teaching my children.
edit on 5/5/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I know these type of idiots exist in the world but, wow. It's still shocking to hear, and from a teacher? Scary, really, scary.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is just despicable. Why lash out at a child like that? What a bully. He should be fired.

Not all Christians are like the Westboro Church. Not all Muslims are like Osama bin Laden. The people who make these broad based assumptions are the very heart of the problem, in my opinion. Its like people laughing at Japan for the earthquake and tsunami. Their ethnocentric point of view brings us all down.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
albeit;
i do love it when the student shows better common sense and intelligence.

The parent said the student "understood that he was referring about Osama bin Laden being killed and was racially profiling her."

basically just idiocy on display.
at least we know who won the argument.
BZZZZZZZZZZTTTT
nope, sorry, you are not smarter than a 5th grader.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

What an ignorent pig I hope his career is over. Really so many good people in America why are morons like this always in the news.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm nonmuslim and I joke with my muslim friends about that stuff all the time. But a teacher saying that to a student is going too far. But bringing it to public spotlight is just an attention ploy. I think a private firing would have been the best course of action.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Of course it had to be from the south.

Damn it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
Well at least the girl wasn't Mexican, could be worse, yee haw

maybe this is a conspiracy after all.
today is cinco de mayo!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Union thugs are rarely sensitive.

Poor girl was already in grief.....no need to rub it in.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Carseller4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4Starlight2Decay0
I'm nonmuslim and I joke with my muslim friends about that stuff all the time. But a teacher saying that to a student is going too far. But bringing it to public spotlight is just an attention ploy. I think a private firing would have been the best course of action.

i would prefer wrapping a turban around his head and dumping him off a blackhawk in the desert.
force him to debate the student the entire flight to the afg-pak border.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I read this yesterday, what a dumb teacher.

Publicly draw attention to it, people need to see that this kind of mistreatment is wrong, and not tolerated.

And fire him, even if we only have that one offense, it clearly shows the character and kind of judgement he's teaching the young students.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

Why should this person not have attention brought to the deed? Why would you want it covered up? What do you think this "ploy" is hoping to achieve?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Okay...I am strongly opposed to stripping teacher unions of thier right to negotiate pay and healthcare benefits.

Teachers should be paid like doctors and lawyers IMO. It would draw the best of the best into teaching our children.

BUT...they should definetly be stripped of their ability to NOT BE FIRED. "Administrative Leave???" WTF....
I can predict with certaintity that will be followed by a month of "sensitivity counseling" where the teacher gets paid to sit in a room playing with thier cell phone the whole time...and then goes back to teaching...fire the a******!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11

Okay...I am strongly opposed to stripping teacher unions of thier right to negotiate pay and healthcare benefits.

Teachers should be paid like doctors and lawyers IMO. It would draw the best of the best into teaching our children.

BUT...they should definetly be stripped of their ability to NOT BE FIRED. "Administrative Leave???" WTF....
I can predict with certaintity that will be followed by a month of "sensitivity counseling" where the teacher gets paid to sit in a room playing with thier cell phone the whole time...and then goes back to teaching...fire the a******!

Looks like you want to have it both ways. Unions create untouchable, highly paid thugs. Very sad.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What and ass. I also hope his career is over.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Originally posted by maybereal11

Looks like you want to have it both ways. Unions create untouchable, highly paid thugs. Very sad.

Looks like you leave no room for anything but binary debate and thinking.

If Walker and his idiot crew had proposed reforming teacher appeals processes their would have been little outcry from the public...instead he looked to abase the teaching profession as a whole.

I know...I know...those kinds of ideas require actual thought rather than blind allegience to an idealogy....but here is to hoping that segment of your brain will spark to life some day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join