It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen volunteer for 3rd Grade cannot give out Easter Eggs, only “Spring Spheres.”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a820247bb4c.gif[/atsimg]

“At the end of the week, I had an idea that I wanted to fill a little plastic egg with treats and jelly beans and other candy,” Jessica, 16, told KIRO Radio. She was in the classroom as part of a week-long volunteering project through her private school.
She said the Easter eggs were meant as a parting gift after she was done.
“I was kind of unsure how the teacher would feel about that,” Jessica said, adding there were different cultures at the school and she wanted to clear it first. The teacher asked administration.
“She said that I could do it as long as I called the treat ‘spring spheres.’” she said. “I couldn’t call them Easter eggs.”
Jessica said she thought it was “ridiculous” but she still passed out the eggs to the students.
Seattle Schools issued a statement on its website saying they have received “numerous questions.”
“We have a religion and religious accommodation policy, approved by the school board in 1983, stating that ‘no religious belief or non-belief should be promoted by the school district or its employees, and none should be disparaged,’” the statement said. My vote goes for; round sorta thingies.

'Spring Spheres' - Really!
Eggs aren't even round and there's no story in the Bible about a long-eared, cotton-tailed creature known as the Easter Bunny. Neither is there a passage about young children painting eggs or hunting for baskets with Easter goodies. And rabbits don't lay eggs.
Has everyone gone completely nuts!
People are taking this a little too far. Do we now have to restructure all the holidays around a new politically/religiously correct order?
Saint Nicholas is the patron saint for prostitutes, yet nobody seems to mind decorating the yard, house and tree with his image. . . my brain hurts!

Source:
Weird News

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Welcome to the 21st century my friend. Where oversensitive wussies will sue over anything they think will make them a quick buck.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

deleted
edit on 5-5-2011 by FTD Brat because: double post failtacular

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I personally dont think it matters whether the giving of easter eggs, easter bunnies, etc are related to religion or not. This, as with other recent examples is restriction of our human rights of freedom of expression and freedom of speech.

Its ridiculous.. we have some western countries invading and bombing the crap out of middle eastern countries and yet they worry about the fact that an easter egg may offend them, lol.

Starred and Flagged

Lots of love

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
there's no story in the Bible about a long-eared, cotton-tailed creature known as the Easter Bunny. And rabbits don't lay eggs.

I completely agree with the policy. Religion does not belong in schools. Children need to be taught facts, not fairy tales.

As far as rabbits not laying eggs- There are many other wild and wacky 'Tales' written in that book. Actually, a rabbit laying eggs would be much easier to believe than some of the others.

edit on 5/5/11 by BrokenCircles because: other other

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

There is NO mention of a rabbit laying eggs for kids to gather in the bible!

That is the point, Easter Eggs have nothing to do with the resurrection of Christ or the bible.
Trust me, I do not want religion taught to my kids in school but Easter Bunny, Halloween, Santa Claus is ok while they are still young and somewhat innocent. Don't ask me what age they should be when they should be told the truth. But my 4 year old doesn't believe in Santa anymore since this year she thinks it's me and my wife. And that's cool but she still watches all the x-mas programs on tv, especially the Grinch! And I am not going to take away the fun she has on Halloween or Easter because of some stupid Pagan or Christian belief.
I want them to be aware of all things, rituals and practices and let them choose for themselves someday.
edit on 5/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Is a rabbit that lays eggs a religious icon?
Is the Pledge of Allegiance mind control? Who shot JR?
Its no wonder our education system is failing.
These question are more important than teaching children to think for themselves.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The rabbits and eggs are what they adopted from the Pagan traditions.

They are the fertility symbols. The Christians adopted them while converting the Pagans.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
There is NO mention of a rabbit laying eggs for kids to gather in the bible!
That is the point, Easter Eggs have nothing to do with the resurrection of Christ or the bible.

There could have been at some time in the past. Hard to say for sure, since the book has been re-written and re-written again by soo many different authors over the years.

That really is not the point though. It doesn't matter if it is written in the newest version of that book or not, because it still only symbolizes one thing. What does it symbolize?? A dead guy being tossed into a cave for 3 days, and then coming back to life. A fairy tale.

In order to not have all children growing up, each in their own little 'life-is-always-good' box, they should be taught only facts in school. If parents want to teach their children fairy tales, then that is the parents' job. Religion just does not belong in school.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I personally do not believe it is ok to pass out Easter eggs at a public school. This does in some essences reflect a religious belief. In my home we celebrate Ostara or the Spring Equinox which is in March. The bunny is supposed to signify the coming of spring as this is when they start to run about and the eggs are to also show the signs of spring and the fertility of the Earth. We celebrate by passing out seeds or seedling plants and have a big planting day getting out gardens started.

My 10 year old daughter has been to some of the local churches with her friends as I give her free choice on the beliefs she would like to live with. She asked me this year what Easter was supposed to be. I explained that in many Christian religions it is the day celebrated to honor Jesus Christ as he was resurrected from death three days after being executed for what I called "unfair" crimes. It was too detailed to explain to someone that wanted a simple answer. She seemed to not like the idea and asked where the bunny came from and I told her is is simply a commercialized icon to keep the public shopping.

If one can pass out eggs can I invite all the neighborhood children to dance on the maypole in the backyard during Beltane or to cross the veil for Samhain, perhaps pass out little worry bags with tiny human figurines in them during stressful times? I am sure there would be a long line of ticked off parents at my door. It is a matter of respecting the diversity we have here in America.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The spring festival, the winter festival and the harvest festival go so far back no religion or people can claim it for their own.
At best they could claim a name like Easter but to say its about religion shows how well we educate our educators.
People who will not stand for nothing will fall for anything.
This should have been handled better and has been handled better for hundreds of years and the children still got their treats and no religion was harmed in the process.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by UdderlyInsane

I would not have a problem with letting my daughter hang with you or your beliefs. And she would love to dance around the Maypole.

I want her to learn about all the different cultures in life and ultimately come to her own conclusion. I am agnostic but it took me years to realize this through my own religious search in life. I do not want them to learn about religion in school unless they take a class on it but to me everything is a fairy tale to some extent. The history I learned in school is different then the history taught today, so is science, math, etc..
I just hope she will grow up to question the world around her, what she reads and what she sees by learning how diverse the world is and tolerate that which she disagrees with.
edit on 5/5/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This was posted in this forum in March
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Spring Spheres.

new topics

top topics

join