It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Messenger Spacecraft Images X Pattern On Mercury.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I was surprised that this photo seems to have escaped scrutiny here at ATS.

The scientists involved are saying that this pattern is due to two separate meteor strikes that originate outside the field of view and are coincidental. I tend to agree.

It seems that this is soon going to be a topic on Coast to Coast. So maybe worthy of perusal here at ATS.

What do you think? Odd huh?

www.nasa.gov...

www.boingboing.net... oing%29&utm_content=Google+International

www.news.com.au...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Now we know where to dig for the buried treasure. - LOL

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
That is definitely unusual. Seriously, what are the chances of meteor impacts, assuming that is what they are, forming an almost perfect X?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It looks like more than two coincidental strikes. Look at various areas of descending creator diameters, like a skipping rock on water. There is defiantly not just two such patters of descending holes.

Either that or this is the proof Mercury is the real Planet X.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
LOL it's really cool how so many of these "planetary surface" pictures look like pictures from high magnification microscopes.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
My theory is this....

Late in WW2 the Nazi's were starting to gather on a moon base on the dark side. They crunched the numbers, dug up some good sized moon boulders, and sling shotted them towards Mercury in an attempt to draw a swastika on the surface of Mercury with the purpose of claiming the whole solar system as part of the Nazi Empire. Then the Allies whooped that Nazi ass ending the war, before they could finish their drawing, leaving only the X.

Poor Nazi's, art is never finished, only abandoned.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Doesn't that kinda look more like a cross than an x? How long before someone links this to May 21 2011??? Hmmm.. I guess I just did..

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
With so many millions of impacts on Mercury it's not surprising that you would find a few patterns... especially something simple like an X shape

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

Im just gonna lol on this.
Nice find
S&F Anyone notice the holes seem facing same direction. Um just sayen are they?
edit on 5/5/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

maybe an incomplete hour glass to remind us we should be count and using our time wisely.??

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Actually it would not surprise me to find more of these craters on mercury due to the fact that the sun's gravity pulls at approximately a perpendicular angle to the planet's equator and does so much more strongly than we experience on earth. A whizzing meteor falling into the sun could happen to skip off mercury on the way there, and that's probably just what happened.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Fools, that isn't an x; its a runway marker for landing UFO's.

Look at the half arrowhead pointing down and to the left.

edit on 5-5-2011 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Mercury again huh Frater.

Lots of strange images coming from Messenger.

I am no crater expert, but to me those look like raised cones not craters. The shadows seem to be on the same angle and brighter on the face side of the "cones".

A wrap around effect as opposed to direct light in a crater.

Just my opinion. What caused it, I have no idea and I could be completely wrong.

Zorgon might be the person to ask. Or Phage

edit on 5-5-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Yeah, no kidding. I kind of expected one or the other of them to come by and handle the ignorance. I am a complete novice when it comes to looking at this sort of thing. I don't think that there is anything particularly un-natural going on.

Thanks for taking a look at it. One of the other posters here thought that they looked a little suspicious as well. Maybe it has to do with some unknown process that is part of the formation of bodies in our solar system. It reminded me a little of the 'scars' on Phobos but I am really not qualified to draw a correlation like that.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Yeah me neither, just look like mounds, natural ones.

But straight ones. Seems a lot of straight lines on Mercury. Like the symbol.

By the way that looks natural too, just maybe somebody saw it a long time ago. Which is strange, and the crater there being named after a musician who uses the golden ratio in his music.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
When I saw this I immediately thought of this documentary that was on the history channel a couple of years ago. If you flip the pic upside down, it resembles the "hooked x" that the documentary dealt with. It was basically about a symbol, an X with a hook on the upper right, that this author linked to the Templars, Masons, and the Holy Grail.

www.hookedx.com...

Edit: typo; also, it isn't quite a match, but similar. Definitely interesting and beautiful.
edit on 5-5-2011 by xenthuin because: typo; extra comment

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

Will I do?
This is what's called a crater chain - or, as I once called it, a "chater crain". This typically happens when a soon-to-be-meteorite is broken up by the planet's gravity before impact and leaves a string of craters. In this case, it obviously happened twice in the same area (but likely at two different times), from perpendicular directions, forming an "X" pattern. Crater chains are common, but for them to form an "X" like this is relatively rare...as should be expected.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The image in the op looks doctored for what reason I dont know... Shadows look wrong not everything is depressions yet all the shadows orientate on the right side...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by timewalker

Will I do?
This is what's called a crater chain - or, as I once called it, a "chater crain". This typically happens when a soon-to-be-meteorite is broken up by the planet's gravity before impact and leaves a string of craters. In this case, it obviously happened twice in the same area (but likely at two different times), from perpendicular directions, forming an "X" pattern. Crater chains are common, but for them to form an "X" like this is relatively rare...as should be expected.

Do they not look like they come to a point though? They have tips with shadows dropping from those tips.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

They're craters. The light-source is to the right, as can be seen by the interior of the ridge at the left being illuminated. This casts the shadow at the inside right of each crater. They're crater chains which, coincidentally, overlap in a "X" pattern, with a third chain coming off the bottom of the vertical chain (which is either from a third event separate from the other two or from the same event that created the vertical chain).
edit on 5-5-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join