It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halftime: Did US Special Forces Just Rescue the Dollar?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

"History shows us that the country with the strongest military is always the reserve currency," said Cortes, founder of Veracruz. "I think the ability of those heroes, of SEAL Team 6, to project power globally shows us that U.S. military is uncontested in its dominance and I think the currency will re-assert accordingly."

So domination through fear and force makes sense cause its sure not based on accountability and fair trade.

Still dont see how its helping the dollar.

The dollar [.DXY 73.88 0.85 (+1.16%) ] hit a three-year low against a basket of currencies on Wednesday, as the euro gained to nearly $1.50. Being as the dollar has taken a "huge hit" over the past few months, Cortes thinks there's now a lot of opportunity in being long the greenback. "Wave the flag and buy the U.S. dollar," Cortes said, adding he thinks the dollar will soon hit its base with the end to the U.S. Federal Reserve's bond-buying program, commonly referred to as quantitative easing or QE. "It's very lonely to be a dollar bull right now, but I think it makes sense."

The only thing the USA seems able to do now is print money and hope they can take over another country or two. Rape them like they've done Iraq before the whole thing crashes like Zimbabwe on steroids.

edit on 5-5-2011 by UcDat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

"History shows us that the country with the strongest military is always the reserve currency," said Cortes, founder of Veracruz. "I think the ability of those heroes, of SEAL Team 6, to project power globally shows us that U.S. military is uncontested in its dominance and I think the currency will re-assert accordingly."

I don't think that says much since the US has been the premiere power since the Bretton Woods System.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I will be watching this thread to read how this effects the dollar....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

QE is ending soon which means the treasury will not be buying up our own debt anymore. Who will? Interest rates should tumble and nobody will. Iran/India made a deal to tradie oil for Indian currency reported on a thread here yesterday. This whole QE mess was nothing but a bandaid for a time and now it is having no effect. 2008 will be nothing when the SHTF.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Lmfao.. The u.s dollar will be falling like a strippers g-string again once the hype over old bin dies down.. Haven't accepted u.s dollars for a couple years now and wont accept them.. Keep your worthless coloured paper..

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Interesting theory and would probably have been true if the dollar weren't as bad as it actually is. I was watching the stock market since the OBL announcement and it went down, albeit a small amount, yet down. Today, after the terrible jobs number, it is likely to drop even more. Nope, not even the alleged killing of enemy number one seems to be enough to pump more hot air into the dollar.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
A day late and a (bwahaha) dollar short.

It would take an act of the gods themselves to rescue the dollar.

Just my humble. . . .

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Well, many have been saying things along the same lines. The reasoning is actually sound, imo.

It's very easy to explain.

Look back to the causes for invading Iraq, and all the propaganda behind Iran. It's about keeping the petrodollar going.

It's not merely that we have superior military dominance, it's that we have the will to enforce our interests by ruthless means.

What are our interests? Being mindless consumers. Corporations win, government wins, people don't know better.

How can we continue to be mindless consumers? We keep our status as the reserve currency and export our debt to the world.

How do we make sure everyone goes along with this game? By threating anyone who tries to oppose our will. We do this economically, then when that fails we do it by going to war, or outing a dictator.

As long as we are the biggest bully, we'll be the world reserve currency. If the world gangs up on us all at once, we may not actually be the biggest bully.

You can bet that we're not going to just fold without fighting for our "god given right" to be mindless consumers. No way.

edit on 5-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the compound have only one individual with a weapon? How does that in any way show off our military prowess?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Well, many have been saying things along the same lines. The reasoning is actually sound, imo.

It's very easy to explain.

Look back to the causes for invading Iraq, and all the propaganda behind Iran. It's about keeping the petrodollar going.

It's not merely that we have superior military dominance, it's that we have the will to enforce our interests by ruthless means.

What are our interests? Being mindless consumers. Corporations win, government wins, people don't know better.

How can we continue to be mindless consumers? We keep our status as the reserve currency and export our debt to the world.

How do we make sure everyone goes along with this game? By threating anyone who tries to oppose our will. We do this economically, then when that fails we do it by going to war, or outing a dictator.

As long as we are the biggest bully, we'll be the world reserve currency. If the world gangs up on us all at once, we may not actually be the biggest bully.

You can bet that we're not going to just fold without fighting for our "god given right" to be mindless consumers. No way.

edit on 5-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)
'

Yep sounds about right star for ya and all round

say can you guys give this a bump too its related and I'd like to get some opinions on it
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This one didn't get much love either check it out Max Keiser doesnt pull punches

Heres the thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

maybe they are travelling behind a comet

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by UcDat
The only thing the USA seems able to do now is print money and hope they can take over another country or two. Rape them like they've done Iraq before the whole thing crashes like Zimbabwe on steroids.

"Raped Iraq", huh? You really think that's what happened?

If that were the case, after we overran the oilfields in 2003, the war would have ended. We'd have what we wanted, and the rest of the country could burn.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

and who set up shop after the invasion and not only oil but all kinds of things like rebuilding all the crap they wrecked thats right the usa and those they allowed in. Who paid for it? Well your tax dollars did some but the Iraqians paid their share and will be paying for generations under whatever puppet they prop up to manage it for them...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
what did my last comment slay this topic dead? or do i just stink?

The dollar is surging right now anyone else notice? the news said so lets check
hmmm

GBP-USD 1.6379 -0.0113 GBP-EUR 1.1271 0.0149 EUR-GBP 0.8871 -0.0121 EUR-USD 1.4528 -0.0300 USD-GBP 0.6105 0.0041 USD-EUR 0.6883 0.0139

www.currencyexchangeuk.co.uk...

Not so much in the UK then lets try another
Looks pretty rocky here too.
www.fxstreet.com...

So what do you guys think the dollar poised to rally in a big way or did all that metal Soros and crew dump do nothing but give metals a little dip? I mean silver is down about 30% but I think we'll see it turn around by the weekend same with gold.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think this is something of an exaggeration. The dollar did rally a bit today, but nothing extraordinary, and it still has a long way to go to recoup the recent significant drop.

For example, the GBP drop against major currencies was also caused by poor figures issued yesterday on the Nationwide pmi and the construction pmi, and today on the services pmi. Likewise poor figures earlier in the week from the AUS caused it to drop. A statement about the Euro from the ECB also caused the Euro to plummet yesterday.

So yes, the dollar has rallied approximately 90 points today, BUT a move of 90 points is nothing unusual, and cannot be attributed to the OBL pantomime, who knows if it had an effect, but for sure the economic figures mentioned above DID have an effect.

If the MSM is implying the small rally in the dollar today was predominantly due to OBL, in my opinion they are massaging the truth somewhat.

We will see if there is a real surge over the next few days. The dollar still has a long way to go to recoup.

edit on 5-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

If only the world were as simple as your mind.

Less than 3% of the oil consumed in the U.S. comes from Iraq. And, to address the next line of thought a sentient being would have: less than 5% of Iraq's oil production goes to the U.S. I'd have to call up the specific figures again - but both are single-digit numbers of nigh irrelevance.

Our tax dollars have really only subsidized the development of basic infrastructure - water and power distribution as well as some basic communications. Oil companies and other corporations have subsidized their own involvement.

To which - those companies employ those people and pay them what is a standard and generally acceptable wage for the job and locale. Before you get your panties too much in a bunch - remember that we here in the heartland suburbs often get paid between 30-120% less for the same job, elsewhere in the country (but our cost of living may only be 30% of yours).

Compare that to under Saddam - and we're suddenly not such bad people anymore.

As for whether or not it will strengthen the dollar - to say it will not have any effect would be silly. At the same time - I wouldn't be looking to see a serious turn-around for the dollar, either.

Many factors are affecting the value of the dollar, right now - the most severe of which is senseless federal deficit spending that serves only to increase inflation. While confidence in the dollar will help bolster its value for a short time - it will not turn around a general economic trend.

It would be like suggesting a burst of adrenaline is going to help someone swim after the ship they fell off of. Sure - it will help for a little while - but it's not going to get that person back aboard ship in and of itself.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Hey not like I was saying it was going to work long term but it did get us this far....

and once the USA invades they take over all the oil fields dont matter where their importing the oil too American approved corporations are the ones making the money non? same goes for all the rebuilding after their bombing runs...
and yep i agree the fed and military industrial complex have run you into the ground... I just hope your right and the dollar stays the course and keeps its position as the reserve currency. No matter how crazy I think USA politics are I'd rather them than the Chinese as the world biggest super power.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

U.S. Approved oil companies?

Not really. Oil wells are usually privately owned by smaller companies that simply sell to the "oil giants" like BP, Shell, Exxon-Mobile, etc. These companies have their own oil transit routes, but they also purchase from a lot of independent tanking industries (some of which will sit off the cost and motor around in circles waiting for the price of oil to go up before selling it to the "evil" BP, Shell, etc). Shell, BP, Mobile - those simply own the refineries and distributors in the U.S.

Which... is a bit simple, too - as many of them are privately owned, as well, but work under contract/license with the larger companies. This is why I've seen a few Phillips 66 turn to BPs and a few BPs turn to MFAs - the gas stations are privately owned and simply decide to fly under a different banner from time to time.

The real people who get rich off of oil are the conglomerates that effectively price-fix and charge for out-of-the-well oil far more than go into its production costs and reasonable coverage for market volatility (IE - if business were to suddenly slow down - the killer profits from last month would average out to okay profits for the two months).

Now - with any corporations, you're going to have some monkey business - but the real ones getting hideously rich off of the stuff are the guys paying to build islands in the middle of the damned ocean, because, apparently, they have run out of other ways to spend their wealth.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Lmfao.. The u.s dollar will be falling like a strippers g-string again once the hype over old bin dies down.. Haven't accepted u.s dollars for a couple years now and wont accept them.. Keep your worthless coloured paper..

Originally posted by UcDat
www.cnbc.com...

So domination through fear and force makes sense cause its sure not based on accountability and fair trade.

Still dont see how its helping the dollar.

Originally posted by HoldTheBeans
reply to post by UcDat

QE is ending soon which means the treasury will not be buying up our own debt anymore. Who will? Interest rates should tumble and nobody will. Iran/India made a deal to tradie oil for Indian currency reported on a thread here yesterday. This whole QE mess was nothing but a bandaid for a time and now it is having no effect. 2008 will be nothing when the SHTF.

Why does everyone here hate the US. All the bad talking and name calling. Whats with all this and all the dooms day talk. Why do people want the dollar to collapse. Is US hatred here that strong ?
The dollar is declining not sinking like a rock. The US is doing really well compared to most other countries.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join