It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Squid Killed by Sound?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
"We now have proof" sonar blasts can harm squid, expert says.
news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

that sucks i herd sonar #s with whales as well.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

A new study says low-frequency sounds from human activities can affect squid and other cephalopods, not just whales and other marine mammals, which have long been thought to be vulnerable to such pulses.

Doesn't HAARP use ELF waves? So many low frequency waves all over the place are affecting the eco-system of our only home. Big business isn't going to change much of anything until they have to, which won't happen when their business partners with the gov't.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

As soon as i read 'low frequency waves' i instantly though of HAARP, as did you. Makes you think that maybe it wasnt such a mystery that last year loads of sealife and birds randomly washed up on the shores and dropped from the sky.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Poor squidly diddly

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
From the article:

For two hours the animals were exposed to sound with intensities of between 157 and 175 decibels and frequency ranges of 50 to 400 Hertz.

No kidding that would harm squid! That's REALLY loud, and for two hours... that would probably permanently damage the hearing of human beings. I'd run like hell if someone hit me with 157 decibels of sound! If marine life is really being subjected to that kind of noise, then it's no surprise that it's harmful, and we should be taking a serious look at finding a solution.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Sorry, i can't play video. Where did this squid die/wash up?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917

Sorry you can't watch video (there was no video) and can't read the article that was linked. Don't worry, you are not alone, 1 in 7 are on Food Stamps and the term "Useless Eaters" is becoming the standard and not just an insult anymore. But this proves one thing, anyone can get a computer, Internet Access and have an opinion.

For those very few who read the article and maybe picked up on the significance of what sonic pulses can do in water, imagine what could be done at the right frequency in simple airspace. I don't think we will have to imagine for long.
edit on 6-5-2011 by MajorKarma because: Typos and expanded comment

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorKarma

Originally posted by tinker9917

Sorry you can't watch video (there was no video) and can't read the article that was linked. Don't worry, you are not alone, 1 in 7 are on Food Stamps and the term "Useless Eaters" is becoming the standard and not just an insult anymore. But this proves one thing, anyone can get a computer, Internet Access and have an opinion.

For those very few who read the article and maybe picked up on the significance of what sonic pulses ca do in water, imagine what could be done at the right frequency in simple airspace. I don't think we will have to imagine for long.
edit on 5-5-2011 by MajorKarma because: (no reason given)

sorry majorkarma - that was a pretty uncalled for attack

a oneliner, a link and a photo does not a thread make...

a little context may have been helpful...

can you give some background as to how this article fits with the wider issue?

many thanks

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorKarma

I have a full time job and 4 kids (I am also a single parent, not by choice), and we are not on food stamps or medicaid,

And you see.. I'm one of the lucky ones. I may not have good internet, we don't have cable, my vehicles are paid for and I don't use credit cards (or other credit). Cash only, or I don't buy. We live paycheck to paycheck, but we have NO DEBT except for mortgage of course,

I'll take lack of internet over credit card debt and car payments any day. I wish others could be happy with "less" when they cannot afford "more"

Thank you for your kind words *sarcasm*, I just wanted to take the opportunity to express to others ... "want less, if you cannot afford more".

Again, thank you.

Also, I was at WORK on my break trying to find interesting threads to read when I got home. SORRY I PICKED YOURS! Some people KILL THEIR OWN THREADS!
edit on 6-5-2011 by tinker9917 because: Addition to post

edit on 6-5-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

A new study says low-frequency sounds from human activities can affect squid and other cephalopods, not just whales and other marine mammals, which have long been thought to be vulnerable to such pulses.

Doesn't HAARP use ELF waves? So many low frequency waves all over the place are affecting the eco-system of our only home. Big business isn't going to change much of anything until they have to, which won't happen when their business partners with the gov't.

JibbyJedi, HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) I am certain is capable of producing and focusing any Frequency in the Electromagnetic Spectrum, from the Highest to the Lowest Frequency, some "Frequencies" are "Sympathetic" to life in our "Spectrum"; can be harmless and even beneficial but, there are many frequencies that can and are harmful and destructive to life on this planet.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

Omfg
Can not everybody post be about hope.

is there an ignore feature?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Damn. Looks like Squidwerd finally pissed Spongebob off to the point that he killed him

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Wait,l so the squid was hit with 2 hours of constant radio wave blasts?
Um, yes that will do damage.

Most vessels both on top and bellow the sea do not run on a constant ping, let alone 2 hours. Most commercial craft will ping maybe every 15-30 minutes, and that is from the ocean top.
Vessel under the water or by most percentages military, and ping rarely, to avoid detection.

top topics

join