It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug pacemaker relieves hassle of daily shots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I apologize if this has been posted I searched but found nothing on this.

www.newscientist.com...

DAILY injections can be a pain in the backside, literally. A new drug-release implant that could deliver timed doses for a year may provide some relief.

Inserted under the skin, it features a chip with a number of metal-walled wells containing a drug. ...Each well is wired to a battery. When an electric current is applied to a well, part of the container melts, releasing the drug. The current can be controlled from outside the body or can be pre-programmed (Nature Biotechnology, DOI: 10.1038/nbt1199).

Microchips has licensed the technology to a company that plans to insert a smaller version of the device into the eyes of people with macular degeneration.

It seems like an interesting idea and I can see where there would be some benefits, people with diabetes comes to mind, but I can also see the potential for this causing a lot of harm I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a machine inside me that releases drugs every day. How do people feel about this?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dug88

Apparently the OP has never heard of an Insulin Pump.

This technology has existed for years.

Also, the same exists for pain management, and the delivery of narcotics on a timed basis. Again, for years.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Wow my bad I really should have taken a look at the source the article referenced. My apologies I should have known better than to look at a news article without checking out the journal it referenced. Is there any way this topic can be deleted. I feel quite embarrased about that. Again my apologies.

Although apparently they thought it was new.
edit on 5-5-2011 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

join