It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was a skeptic . Now I'm a believer

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
When i first read this thread, anyone else thought it said " I was a skeptic . Now I'm a blieber "

Justin Beiber GET OUTTA HERE!!!!!

Peace

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Ok took me abit to get my head around what you were trying to say

So if i believe in Aliens/UFO's but don't believe in say Bigfoot
Am i a full skeptic or part time skeptic does it only matter to the topic on hand
or is it like being a atheist dont believe in anything that falls under the same umbrella

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Bossdog82

No one is a full sceptic - that's the thing. We all get distracted by family, jobs, rent, bills, TV, that girl at the office, that guy that eyes up our wife etc.

It's easy to fall into fantasy, it's a simpler and more manageable reality if there is some secret shadowy figures working being the curtains (and there are!).

However the aliens and ufos element of existence seems to fall on real flat footing - there is nothing to suggest we are being visited (and I'd LOVE it if there were; nothing could make me happier). So when a thread comes along with nothing to add to the mix expect "I know something you don't know" and worse still attempts to claim to hold an adult mindset (Proof over imagination) then I feel I have to stop those who perhaps aren't aware of the world as it is - this is a short end to a book buying and perhaps a DVD or two too.

The OP has never been a sceptic because had they it would be impossible for them to drop the ability to analyse all the data available to them and to draw up probability of actuality and then still decide that something is more likely that something else.

A sceptic never knows - that is what it means!

A believer (in any field) claims to know - but what they claim cannot be proven.

I hope this helps and again if you have a belief I am not against you having it - I only have a problem with you stating it as truth without evidence.

A personal belief is always a magical and personal thing, but when you try to walk into a field already ridiculed and full of hoaxes - it plays out best if you are open about everything, without charging, and let other minds know what it was that altered you so they can either correct you or, better yet, learn from you.

Best of luck!

-m0r

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
I'm not going to share how I have reached my conclusions , because I believe that each one of us must seek the truth for ourselves .

The reasons you reached conclusion on must be fairly weak if you're not prepared to tell people what specifically caused this conclusion. I just hope your new belief is not based just on faith like most believers. If the belief is based on faith then you are choosing to believe blindly.

I'm hoping the ''troll' card is not used against my above opinion.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

I think the TopicStarter is a troll by himself

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
So would you say that people who follow a religion after not first following it are not true believers?

Originally posted by m0r1arty

The OP has never been a sceptic because had they it would be impossible for them to drop the ability to analyse all the data available to them and to draw up probability of actuality and then still decide that something is more likely that something else.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Bossdog82

Firstly sceptical thought is the opposite of religion (dogma which cannot be questioned) and furthermore I don't believe there is one person on this planet who is a "true believer".

I think religion is part of every humans knowledge that we can each be better and is adopted as a means to be that bit better. But it is more of a control of the masses rather than a genuine 'manual for life'.

To take Christianity, for an example, Doubting Thomas was the one who questioned Jesus' resurrection and without him there would be no validity as no apparent sceptical analysis of his wounds would be recorded. His scepticism is what the resurrection is founded upon.

Do you understand? Scepticism is what makes us work - without it we really are just cattle.

I am not claiming to be the bastion of scepticism (far from it) however even with a life altering experience I could not drop my scepticism, it is as much a part of me as breathing air it.

It is as much a part of you in the same way whether you accept is as a blessing/curse or ignore it.

Start thinking about the world around you instead of being told how to think by way of benefiting other who would be rewarded by your shortcomings (This goes into every aspect of life and not just UFOlogy).

-m0r

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
"♫Then I saw her face,
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind♫"

In other news, I was skeptical about 9/11 but now I believe beyond all doubt that the government did it.
I could tell you why but ...Nah, i'll keep it to myself.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Just for dicking about reasons here duck;

Originally posted by dethduck"♫Then I saw her face,

You claim to have seen her face, do you have proff?

Originally posted by dethduckNow I'm a believer

Can you possibly explain what it is you now believe, what it was prior and what changed you?

Originally posted by dethduckNot a trace

Surely that's "Without a trace"

Originally posted by dethduckOf doubt in my mind♫"

No doubt in your mind whatsoever?

Well that means you either are a hard core believer but seem to be lacking the social skills to pass on your knowledge or you are just a troll teasing us with your 'beliefs'

Originally posted by dethduckIn other news, I was skeptical about 9/11 but now I believe beyond all doubt that the government did it.
I could tell you why but ...Nah, i'll keep it to myself.

A perfect example of why sceptical minds make conspiracies, and indeed reality, a better place.

Thanks for letting me use that as cannon fodder against those less able and more 'special' than a dead three year old.

-m0r

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

No one is a full sceptic - that's the thing. We all get distracted by family, jobs, rent, bills, TV, that girl at the office, that guy that eyes up our wife etc.

As humans, despite the tools we develop we are still flawed beings. No skeptic is perfectly skeptical. As all humans, skeptic or otherwise, we will be wrong. This is often used as a cudgel against skepticism. Think Stanton Friedman's "Science Was Wrong" book. However, there is great benefit in the acknowledgement that you are not perfect, that you can be wrong. Being a poor scientist, Friedman and those who follow such illogic, do not realize that "we may be wrong" is the most fundamental principle of science. Only through such an acknowledgement can one learn, can one get closer to the truth. Those who cannot accept they may be wrong stunt themselves.

There is nothing that precludes a skeptic from becoming convinced UFOs are piloted by alien beings. There are plenty of skeptics in this forum who are also "believers". While there may be disagreement between and these "critical thinkers" (to differentiate them from other skeptics) and other skeptics, the tools and language they employ are the same. They just come to different conclusions.

This may be semantics but skeptics can know. They know what the best information available demands of them; however (and this is a very big however), when the best information available changes, the skeptic changes as well.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Belive or not belive,what is the difference if THEY have been here sinse the begenning of mankind ?

If Aliens have been here sinse the begenning then they are us or we are them really,at least our whole way of life on this planet is set to there pace,there control,there agenda.What are they doing here for so long and still hideing,what is the purpose in this agenda for so long?They obviously haven't contributed anything other then maybe some tech that we use to kill each other,there sure is not any humanity in there agenda so why is it going to be such a great event if and when they say "here we are".

I lean towards the theory we as a spicies are nothing more then an experiment,it makes a lot more sense and explains why we are the way we are after so long.At the very least if Aliens have been here forever then they are no better then us and with the possiablity of highly advanced tech,thats scary.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull

This may be semantics but skeptics can know. They know what the best information available demands of them; however (and this is a very big however), when the best information available changes, the skeptic changes as well.

It is semantics and that is how we defer things from each other and this is one I'll stand by.

Yes, information changes the sceptical outlook to accept what has been proven as being true, or probable, at any given point but a genuine sceptic will never accept this as fact - a sceptic can never know as change is always likely, perhaps even fundamental change.

This is while, me believing that all aerial phenomena can be explained as scientific, I have to keep an open mind as to how it could be ET visiting and not just all my belief of it not being.

It appears I hold a sceptical view which allows for ET existence whilst many of those who believe it as an absolute fact don't allow themselves the same basic level of d̶r̶o̶o̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ scepticism to think otherwise.

It is like an idiot painting themselves as such publicly and flyering for people to come and see it - does everyone think their online person is anonymous? They are far mistaken if that's the case.

-m0r

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wow you guys did a pretty good job of derailing a thread .
I look foward to contributing to your future posts

Let the games begin

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The U.S. government is too disorganized to keep a secret such as having a U.F.O.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WingedBull

What have you added that actually refutes anything Moriarty said in his post? As you say it is semantics and it is all relative. The word means different things to different people whether they are using it correctly or not.

a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.

It is not someone who denys something is factual and says it is not true. That is a dis informant.
That is going in the opposite direction from skepticism toward certainty.
It is anyone who questions the validity of the facts that are available.
We are all skeptics though with definite leanings one way or another.

edit on 6-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Wow you guys did a pretty good job of derailing a thread .

LOL!!!!!!!!

What thread?

You're out as a frolicking overly happy believer now (after only a few weeks laying low as a sceptic).

There was never any issue of you not believing in UFOs as ET in origin, it's now just a case of whether your family gets to look back on this and pity you as their ancestor.

-m0r

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ren1999
The U.S. government is too disorganized to keep a secret such as having a U.F.O.

Really? But they could drop a couple of skyscrapers into their own footprint and blame another country, yet they cannot do this? Don't kid yourself. With a whole lot of assistance/cooperation from the ET themselves, yes they could.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ruffagii

reply to post by Aprch

I completely agree .
The U.S government has an hidden agenda and it will stop at nothing to achieve it , even if it means killing it's own people .

Regards

If they disclose then how they gonna explain cattle and human mutilations, abductions, experiments? How they gonna answer questions such as "are we products of genetic engineering and not naturally evolved beings?"

It will open up doors to so many questions and possibilities that the Gov would NOT be willing to answer or be demanded

I totally agree with you assesment. To many unanswered questions that will probably never be addressed. Even if disclosure is near, with the cloak of secrecy that has been in place for decades, would you readily believe anything that was presented publicy or would it still be another diversion?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Really? But they could drop a couple of skyscrapers into their own footprint and blame another country, yet they cannot do this? Don't kid yourself. With a whole lot of assistance/cooperation from the ET themselves, yes they could.

To back up your argument, it requires a few basic tenets of reason. Among those, the most important would be that YOUR argument has to contain FACT, not personal opinion, otherwise it as equally flawed as what you are arguing against.

Asserting that the 9/11 bombings were "an inside job" is just as much speculation as is the US Government "covering up otherworldly technology and visitation".

Neither proves or disproves your point or theirs.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I wasn't attempting to refute anything in his post, rather expanding upon it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join