It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was a skeptic . Now I'm a believer

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dastardly666
Okay. Here is your first post on this thread which was your reply to the OP...

Which isn't an attack on him. Being critical and disagreeing is not an attack.

You attacked the OP, basically accusing him of being a liar, when you obviously know nothing about him.

I did not call him a liar. I said he was wrong. There is a difference. However, you need to categorize it as "accusing him of being a liar" in order to distract from the point being made.

But this not the first time you have done this

Provide the evidence.

I then replied to your post by asking you to prove your statement which you failed to do.

You told me to prove the statement; I proved my viewpoint and evidence in my initial post and explained in subsequent posts; he was using logical fallacies that no one who follows the philosophies of skepticism would employ. Therefore, I do not believe he ever was a skeptic but that does not follow that I am calling him a liar. Rather, he is mistaken, confusing a disbelief in a topic as skepticism.

You and others then attacked me and the OP.

At no point did I attack the OP. Please state where I attacked the OP. Provide the evidence.

However, you were hostile from the start, accusing anyone who disagreed or found fault in the OP's statement as attacks where no one had attacked him. In fact, you attacked every skeptic by comparing them to religious crack-pots; I responded by saying you were closed-minded; which you have thus far proven me right by attempting to silence any points you do not agree with. But at no point did anyone attack you or the OP; the only person in attack mode has been you. Please provide the other posts where you were "attacked".

Provide the evidence.

You do not like it when I answer back.

How can I not like it when you "answer back" when until now you have refused to have a discussion, dodging questions and points by accusing people of being bullies?

I made you look like a fool on several occasions

When did you make me look like a fool? You still have not answered that question. When asked, all you do is repeat that you made me look like a fool. If anything, you have made yourself look like a fool; you dodge questions and points, engage in distraction, and name-call.

Provide the evidence.

hence why you ran to the mods.

Your posts were removed, not because you made a point no one could argue against, but because you were harassing members and name-calling.

You then had the brass neck to call me a bully.

Because that is how you are behaving. You are being a bully, you are behaving in a closed-minded and hypocritical fashion. This post and this post are evidence of that. Notice what it says in the images that replaced your posts.

But if you feel I am being a bully, such behavior is certainly against the T&C; please report me.

So there you have it. You are wrong but you continue to be a fool only digging yourself a bigger hole.

Where was I wrong? What was I wrong about? Provide the evidence.

Give it a rest because you have been owned!

How? You provided one quote, that was not an attack and no reasonable person would construe it as such; then you made accusations with no evidence to support them, as you have throughout this thread.

Provide the evidence.
edit on 7-5-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
In light of you having dominated this conversation in attempt to silence those opinions you do not like, viewing any disagreement or criticism as being "bullying" and an "attack", I have a very simple question for you. Given the sparse content of the opening post and the refusal of the OP to go into depth about what lead him to his epiphany, how would you have preferred this thread to play out?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull
In light of you having dominated this conversation in attempt to silence those opinions you do not like, viewing any disagreement or criticism as being "bullying" and an "attack", I have a very simple question for you. Given the sparse content of the opening post and the refusal of the OP to go into depth about what lead him to his epiphany, how would you have preferred this thread to play out?

In your previous posts, you said I was not answering your questions and your latest question proves you are only looking for confrontation. You are not debating or disagreeing with me.

You should ask this question to the OP as it is his thread. But you already know his answer because he made it very clear he was unhappy with trolls like you derailing his thread.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

reply to post by tpg65

I can tell by your language, appeal-to-spite bogeymen, phantom evidence, so forth, that you were never a skeptic or a fence-sitter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------

You attacked the OP, basically accusing him of being a liar, when you obviously know nothing about him. But this not the first time you have done this.

Since, it seems, you are so fond of describing everything as an "attack" that doesn't meet your personal agenda, let me give you a little insight as I have extensive knowledge on this subject.

What I'm going to do is re-quote portions of your conversations from above in an effort to keep things clean and neat, something you seem WHOLLY UNABLE TO DO by not understanding even the most simplest of functionality on this forum, it's REAL easy, [ quote][ /quote]. Learn it, it sincerely makes your posts have a measure of organization. See this? If I were the attacking type, THIS would absolutely be an attack.

But I'm not the attacking type, so I simply wouldn't resort to handling things that way.

Now, here comes the compartmentalization of your reply.

Part I

You attacked the OP, basically accusing him of being a liar

Now, option A, if he were attacking:
Listen you fool, if you can't first have a modicum of intellect enough to understand how to take particular sentences in their proper context, then you shouldn't bother trying to dazzle others with your pseudo-intellectualism!!!

And Option B, to use Common Decency and ultimately, the favored ATS motto Manners and Decorum (which was used):

There's a big difference between calling someone a liar, and explaining to them how it's possible that they were never a skeptic to begin with, by showing them fallacy in their thinking.

when you obviously know nothing about him.

Now, option A, if he were attacking:

Oh, and you do, you half-wit?? Do you have some insider info about the OP that no one else does?

And Option B, to use Common Decency and ultimately, the favored ATS motto Manners and Decorum (which was used):

That may be true, but I'm sure the same applies to you, that you also do not know him.

Are you starting to see the difference between attack and not?

If not, let me show you some more examples of a true attack:

trolls like you derailing his thread.

You attacked him....that would be one. So, maybe I'm wrong about you, maybe you do in fact have a good grasp on it.

The long and short of it ALL is, that he was trying to make a point, that POINT was, that in his mind (the OP) he called himself a skeptic, where, wingedbull was simply trying to perhaps suggest to him, he should not have called himself a skeptic from the start. Maybe he didn't even realize all along that from the beginning he was never a skeptic but simply a believer that never had a manifestation of what he wanted to believe all along.

Is this all clear enough for you now?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dastardly666

I find it interesting that when presented with an opportunity to discuss the topic, you instead refuse, preferring to accuse others of only wanting confrontation and throwing personal barbs. You have behaved in a similar manner throughout the thread.

Disagreement and criticism is not derailing a thread nor is it trolling. However, accusing genuine disagreement and criticism as "trolling", or "attacking", refusing to discuss the topic in favor of throwing out personal accusations and name-calling, refusing to acknowledge points or answer questions when presented are all the hallmarks of a troll. The only troll in this thread has been you.

Trolling and derailing a thread are against the T&C. If you genuinely believe that I or anyone else in this thread is a troll, then why have you not reported us?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
On it. Reporting Wingedbull and alphabetaone to the e-authorities right away. May they be hung for their heinous crimes.

Its a disgwace I tell thee.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

This is my first post. So I'm going to respond agreeing to this topic, your opinion, and saying that I also believe. I may not believe were being abducted, or physically and or mentally taking advantage over, but there's no way we are the only one in the entire universe.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dastardly666

Dastardly666 --

What if the OP would have said...

Today has been an epithany. After years of sitting on the fence , I now believe 100% that we are NOT being visited by Alien races.
I also now believe that tptb in the U.S. have NEVER hidden any information from us, and they have no knowledge whatsoever of aliens or alien craft.

Disclosure will never come in our lifetime, because for disclosure to come from tptb, there would need to be aliens to disclose in the first place -- so that is never going to happen.

I'm not going to share how I have reached my conclusions, because I believe that each one of us must seek the truth for ourselves .
All I will say is , good luck with your search.

Once you have seen the truth, everything else falls into place

...would you not have requested that the OP explain how he knows what he knows? Would you just accept his word that he has a specific reason to know for a fact that there is no such thing as alien visitation, or would you want to ask him to reveal that specific information to back up his claims?

edit on 5/7/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KEVIN2792
reply to post by newcovenant

This is my first post. So I'm going to respond agreeing to this topic, your opinion, and saying that I also believe. I may not believe were being abducted, or physically and or mentally taking advantage over, but there's no way we are the only one in the entire universe.

And what an excellent first post it is! I am pretty new myself so welcome.

True and after hearing some of the things our own governments are capable of and have hidden from us in the past there is no doubt in my mind they already know.

edit on 8-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

Hi, i'm a new member and therefore i cannot post yet....So i decided to reply here, although it might be kinda irrelevant to the original post......Sorry.....Please bare with me as english is a foreign language for me.
I'll try to be as brief as possible...I am a 30 year old female and i think that something might be wrong with me. Although i've had people all my life telling me how ''beautiful'' i am, i can't shake off the feeling that i am different, in perhaps a bad way...My skull is strangely shaped and my face looks weird...I hate pictures because every time a person photographs me, i look like a damn ghost or a vampire, meaning i look like i am totally white and that is very embarrassing to say the least.When i say my skull is weird, i mean that at the top of the back side, it is flat! Being a woman, i can hide this by wearing my hair in a clever way, but every time someone touches it, they always seem surprised at how.....flattened it is.My first boyfriend was the first to point that out to me, i thought it was normal up to that time.My ex thought i was some kind of hybrid and crap like that because apart from my looks,i was always able to tell when he was lying and i could read his body language easily and know what he was thinking at all times.I've had people being hostile towards me for no reason at all,people i had just met, and the contrary, people who would tell me they had never met anyone like me.Believe me, this not something i enjoy.I want to be like everyone else but my appearance does not allow this.I've also been very interested in the supernatural from a very young age,i've always been a bookworm,but NEVER practiced anything as in rituals and such crap.I've always felt ''wise'' in a sense, always felt compassion towards the weak and i've ALWAYS known that God is nothing but energy inside everything in the Cosmos.Even from a very young age.I've had strange experiences as well.An inexplicable footprint on a tray of salt when i was on vacation at my grandparents' house when i was 23.I woke up after a dream that someone pushed me from the edge of a cliff,with numerous fresh scratches on my hands, as if made with a sharp PIN, when i was 13.They were bleeding and there was NO skin under my fingernails.Plus, my parents were in the next room,the door was open and they could see me during my sleep.I've also been told that i speak incoherently during my sleep and sometimes lights may flicker or objects may move slightly, always according to others, i've never noticed anything move or flicker in my presence when i am awake.The worst for me is the issue of the photos.I look so strange and it's awfully embarrassing,i don't allow my picture taken by anyone anymore. I could care less about the attention on ATS,i do not care about that, the reason i'm posting this is because i can't talk about this with ANYONE and let's be honest, they would probably consider ma a nutcase.The thing is that i haven't met anyone with the same skull or facial features as me and to be frank, i don't know what to think of myself!I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with information that might help me discover what the hell is wrong with me.Please do not joke because to me, this is serious.Thank you in advance,i will not disappear or anything, i will reply to everyone and if you can help me in any way, i am willing to show my face so you may see for yourselves.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
i hope to one day to be a 100% a believer.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Etherovamon

Cannot say as to your personal experiences, as they are just that. As to your features, I am willing to bet your features are not outside the vast range of human normality.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
Since, it seems, you are so fond of describing everything as an "attack" that doesn't meet your personal agenda, let me give you a little insight as I have extensive knowledge on this subject.

Now he has changed his tactic to accusing posts he doesn't like of being "childish", attacking other members and accusing them of "derailing the thread" when he thread was perfectly civil before his attacks, following other members into threads just to harass them. He is proving everything said about him in this thread.
edit on 8-5-2011 by WingedBull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WingedBull

Well, I'm not terribly surprised, but I am just going to ignore him in this thread anyway. Apparently there is not enough for him to add.

But I do still want to know from you, OP, on what the revelation was that caused this big 180 degrees? For the sake of this thread, I'm going to replace any of your usage of the term skeptic in my mind, with "unverified believer" so as to avoid any angst going forward.

I know, for me personally, I have been a skeptic of almost everything in my life, and while there has been much to prove my view on things as inaccurate, it has never stopped me from being so. So, was this epiphany a sighting? An abduction? A (one would hope not) a youtube video?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Just felt the need to post for the people who say they need to SEE an alien to believe:

Space is so vast that it is truly beyond your imagination:

Follow me for a sec: A light year is the unit of measure to show distances in space, cuz plain ole mileage does not get it out there....and the speed of light is 186,000 miles per SECOND (pretty darn fast, heh?)

Ok......

Our star, the SUN, is only ONE of Billions (upon more billions, literally) of stars in the KNOWN universe...

When you look in the sky and see the stars, know that the CLOSEST one (called Proxima Centauri) is 4.4 light years away (oh, but that'll take you 18,000 years to get there, cuz you can't travel at the speed of light yet)

It takes 100,000 years to get from one end to the other of OUR Milky Way galaxy, and there are BILLIONS of galaxies in the KNOWN universe.

The nearest galaxy to us, Andromeda, will take 2.3 MILLION light years to reach from here

My point??

It is quite possible that the nearest civilization may not know that you ARE HERE AT ALL

Mankind is not the center of the universe, physically or figuratively, and all the E.T. civilizations do not feel obligated to show their presence to us Earthlings for validation....

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I've actually said this so many times in my years, I'm almost tired of hearing it. I agree with this.

In fact, it IS likely, that another form of life (or maybe even the same, who knows) mathematically speaking is a certainty. My premise has always been, and always will be, that they are on equal footing to us. We know it, but simply can't reach it.

Where my skepticism lies is in visitation. I would fight tooth and nail against actual visitation. There would be little to NO need for all this cloak and dagger nonsense at this point. According to prevailing wisdom, we can recount at least 70 years of this alleged visitation, after 70 years, I'm quite sure if it WERE true, they have us all figured out by now and precisely what they could and could not get away with. So the whole "they're waiting for the right time to make themselves visible to us" nonsense is just that....nonsense.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
Today has been an epithany. After years of sitting on the fence , I now believe 100% that we have been visited by Alien races since the dawn of man.

I'm not going to share how I have reached my conclusions ,
way to waste my time.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
Today has been an epithany. After years of sitting on the fence , I now believe 100% that we have been visited by Alien races since the dawn of man.
I also now believe that tptb in the U.S. have been back engineering captured spacecrafts for decades and that they already have lightspeed and sybmbiotic engine technology

I'm not going to share how I have reached my conclusions , because I believe that each one of us must seek the truth for ourselves .

I'd say you've been watching "Ancient Aliens" on TV!

Sorry but the belief that we have "back engineered" anything is a complete non sense.

You do realise that even if ET did visit us thousands of years ago, ET's technology back then would STILL several thousand years ahead of the current technology of modern man.
Just illustrate the point.
If you had the ability to go back in time and hand your internet phone to a cave man that lived thousands of years ago, and then communicated to him that you wanted him to make his own working version of an internet phone...........he wouldn't be able to.........because....
a) he wouldn't understand what the thing was or what it would be used for.
b) Too many discoveries and leaps in technology .....such as discovery of electricity, invention of the battery, micro chip, electric circuits, radio communication need to be understood first.

So there would simply be too many big gaps for us human to EVER back engineer ET technology.
You could only really back engineer technology if both ET and human technology were not too far apart......but given that any interstellar travelling ET must be several thousand years if not more, ahead of current modern man.......then it is simply not possible.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Logical one

Uhhh nope.

Why do people assume that ALL E.T. civilizations are traveling from interstellar space? There could very well be civilizations in THIS very solar system, even on the moon.

Our creator race (YES ANCIENT ALIENS, and I'm prepared to argue this theory to be the most plausible) was obviously more advanced than us; they were able to genetically manipulate mankind into existence (from a primate)

As far as your statement about being so far ahead that we couldn't reverse engineer anything from a crash, all that means is that we are not so far behind that particular race that we reverse engineer from.

There is not ONE type of E.T. in the universe. There are COUNTELSS. Each galaxy, constellation, solar system, and planet are not ALL ALIKE. Some advance more quicker than others, some slower. Some were quantum leaped by other more superior races ( like us???/)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Im not claiming anything. Aliens exist. Period. I didnt make this claim, im only stateing the obvious. Like i said, some people want to beleive, the rest of us dont use the word beleive, they exist. Its funny cause all these "beleivers" will have there worlds rocked when the truth becomes apperant to them, where it wont effect some of us at all, It would be like telling us the sky is blue. Here's a small test, tell yourself aliens do exist, period, now, was there any a shred of doubt, or did your mind accept this as fact. I bet as you read that sentence you read it as a statment and not as a true fact, still think you really belive? Beleive it or not, but there are some people who know the truth. Dosnt mean youll "beleive" it, i mean youve all seen thousands of ufo related things and most of you still need "proof". That was my point, if anyone cant see that then wow, get passed your ego. Just because you "still" need proof that there "is" life out there not "maybe" out of those trillions of suns in our glaxy alone, containing possably hundreds of trillions of planets.

I thaught the ATS slogan was DENY IGNORANCE?

Whats more ignorant than clinging to the egotistical thaught that our entire universe is empty, and always has been for the Trillions of eons before you were here?

Most people need more proof, but not all of us. I continue to deny ignorance. Arguing that you still need more proof than all the evidence in front of us, is just plain ignorant.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join