It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

thehill.com

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Ohhh boy, cant wait for this one to hit. I so cant wait to pay even more at the pump because the a**h*** in charge thinks he can tax the amount I drive now. Yaaaaaay!!!!!

Obviously, that was sarcasm.

This reminds me of the stamp tax in 1765. He is really pushing for a fight on this one. Just cause he got OBL (I know some would disagree) doesnt mean he can just jam crap down our throats. There are allready enough pissed off Americans in our country and if you tax them even more its just gonna make things worse for him come election time.

thehill.com
edit on 5-5-2011 by dizzie56 because: mistype

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56

thehill.com

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

Your auto is YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY AND THE GOVERNMENT CAN NOT TAX PRIVATE PROPERTY!! It would also be double indemnity because the "fuel tax" PAYS FOR THE RAODWAYS!! Goddmanit people, wake the hell up and lets take back OUR country from these corporate idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn.

Edit to add, the "free and public way" which is roadways are just that, FREE AND PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a NATURAL BORN RIGHT OF MOVEMENT by whatever means is available, so long as we harm no one, damage no others property nor interfere with their right to use the same. The government HAS NO JURISDICTION!!!

They can "regulate" BUT THAT IS IT, regulate is not restrict!!
edit on 5-5-2011 by daddio because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
That idea has been floating around in Britain too. I think if something like that happened, that would then be the straw that broke the camels back.

Something like that even comeing close to being passed would be enough for me to start a WAR!! A Nuclear WAR!!!

I all seriousness tho, I would not accept that. No way, no chance.

(Trying hard not F****** swear - failed)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

“This is not an Administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the Administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the Administration, does not taken into account the advice of the President’s senior advisors, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the President.”

Besides, we are already taxed by the mile by how much gas a person buys. Someone who drives 20 miles a week will buy much less gas than someone who commutes 100 miles a day. This will be the same for electric vehicles, where people will pay a much higher electric bill to recharge their vehicles, more than those who drive less.

They WILL implement something like this eventually though, but it will be passed under the guise of the Privatization of public road ways. It will be done by tagging a vehicle when it enters these roadways and then collecting the toll when they exit, calculated on how many miles they have driven. This is already done in many countries around the world and is responsible for severely restricting the movement of citizens, especially those without the means. In essence, transportation will be rationed to the wealthy, and is nothing more than a corporate agenda of the elite to control the mobility of the common class while profiting.

This particular proposal was nothing more than one of countless ideas that are thrown around by politicians, committees and various offices. One which appears to have been dug up in order to mislead people in hopes of reducing President Obama's approval ratings and subsequent support.
edit on 5-5-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
They are positioning themselves for the time we use more electrics. We can't win unless we cut this oppressive Government down to size, and soon.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
A tax like this would really hit western and farming people really hard, unless they have different rates for different parts of the country! I think the only way they could even attempt to float something like this is to have the tax rate higher in more heavily populated areas of the country, and lower in more rural areas.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

I believe you are right on with that assessment. Somebody has to try to hack away at whatever renewed approval rating the president has been able to achieve, right?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
OTR truckers are gonna be screwed so hard.

The price of products will sky rocket.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The next plan I heard is that they are going to start taxing us by the turd to make us pay for our "im-Placht" on the environment! This isn't coming out of President Obama's head as of right now, hes gone from campaining while in office to just plain old campainging! It's the other Nutjobs inside the beltway that come up with this useless crap. Let's try this, how about not giving any money to anyone, unless the live within the 50 United states and it's outlyinh territories, ya know, Guam, Peurto Rico, etc... Let's see how much money that might save us?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I dont think that they are doing this to boost the electric cars because they will get taxed just the same as a car that runs on gas...a mile driven is a mile driven. To me it seems what will most likely come of this is more public transportation which most people in America dont want. I personally dont wanna get stuck on a bus or train or whatever just to get to and fro from work. Its total bs. As a previous poster has said, this will be the straw that breaks the camels back. There have been talks of civil war allready, Texas has talked about it along with Arizona just because of the boarders that are unprotected. Add this to their allready broken economy and the allready extremely high gas prices and heads will roll, literally.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
They are positioning themselves for the time we use more electrics. We can't win unless we cut this oppressive Government down to size, and soon.

What people fail to realize is the fact that the push for Electric Cars is more about control than global warming or reduction of fossil fuels.

Electric Cars will soon become common place. Unleaded Motor Vehicle Fuel/Gas will become incredibly expensive. Soon it will be cheaper for the middle and lower classes to switch to all electric vehicles. What will be interesting is that the range of these vehicles will not significantly increase for quite some time.

Basically the lower and middle classes will have electric vehicles that have a very low range (50-150 miles) before needing a recharge. The Upper classes will still drive gas guzzling fuel-powered vehicles with incredibly high ranges (400 miles or more). The middle and lower classes will also be encouraged to switch to electric vehicles, most likely through a "cash for clunkers" type program to massively subsidize the cost of procuring these vehicles, in addition to projected fuel savings. This will be utilized to do a few things.

1) Controlling the mobility of the population. Essentially restricting people to stay near their homes, as the mentality changes. If someone attempts to go farther they will be forced to have to STOP and recharge in order to travel even more. This aids in monitoring and controlling citizens. They already have cameras installed in most intersections and along the interstate in the US, all tied into centralized subservience systems. This limited range of travel will make it even easier to contain the populous.

2) The Airline/Bus/Train line industries will actually benefit as people will have to pay to travel long distances instead of driving themselves. As it will take too long to go 1000 miles if you have to drive 150 miles then recharge for a few hours, then drive another 150 miles, etc. Essentially it will probably double the travel time anywhere. So what would previously take 15 hours to drive will take 30 or so hours when you include the need to recharge. Not to mention require the cost of hotel stays for what was previously a 1 day drive.

3) The wealthy will have much more powerful vehicles with long ranges, but they will also be able to afford the $15/gallon or higher that it will cost to fuel these vehicles, in addition to the "pollution tax" that they will pay on top of that for registering their gas guzzling SUVs or high range vehicles.

4) The electric vehicles will also have a much lower top-end speed, and people will not travel at the top end speeds in order to maximize battery life. If there is a "high speed" chase with law enforcement the battery would quickly deplete or the vehicles will be quickly disabled utilizing the new black-boxes that will soon be mandated to be installed in all new vehicles.

5) Ultimately this all boils down to enriching a few wealthy individuals who at first suppressed this technology but now are pushing its' implementation. Mainly due to the fact that they now own the mineral rights to a majority of the deposits of the metals needed to produce the batteries, world-wide. Much of the big oil/coal/energy companies will profit directly from it, and it was pushed aside for decades to ensure that they were properly positioned to maintain their profit and power with this "new" technology being pushed onto the masses.

Essentially we will be giving up much of our freedom of movement, as well as increasing the cost of bus/train/air travel, which will be required to realistically go anywhere long-distance.

Just my opinions.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

You didnt expect Obama haters to quote that part did you? I'll quote it again just to make it clear....

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

Just so you know.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow talk about your misleading title op, this isnt Obama's plan epic fail for you.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

Ehhh, very tru. When I saw that paragraph I just thought it was some bs double talk and was pretty pissed to even see this article even talking about taxing the mileage, especially since the rest of article and even the link posted on Drudge blamed it on Obama. Mods feel free to delete this thread.

Ps, epic fail is for the chans, just leave it there man.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
reply to post by DJM8507

You didnt expect Obama haters to quote that part did you? I'll quote it again just to make it clear....

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

Just so you know.

Yup! And the Healthcare bill was written by Reid and Pelosi, all he has to do is SIGN it, not originate it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
I'll quote it again just to make it clear....

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration....”

And I agree that people won't read an article but rather respond to the title of a thread; but The Hill has some confusing and conflicting paragraphs.

Just before your quoted source, they state

The plan is a part of the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act, an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

From there they seg-way into the quote you gave, which gives a different stance.

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

So really, not to you, but to the Hill. Which is it? Such poor reporting and obviously just a sound-bite piece.
edit on 5-5-2011 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is what you get when you elect a entitlement champion to be president, man is totally worthless and would never have been elected without his owners support, that and a bunch of liberals and college students who thought it would be so cool to have a black president, regardless of the fact he was proven to be a fake and a racist during his campaign.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Exactly, thats why I thought that one paragraph was just double talk by the Admin. The whole rest of the article says Obama admin....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddio

Your auto is YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY AND THE GOVERNMENT CAN NOT TAX PRIVATE PROPERTY!! It would also be double indemnity because the "fuel tax" PAYS FOR THE RAODWAYS!! Goddmanit people, wake the hell up and lets take back OUR country from these corporate idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn.

Edit to add, the "free and public way" which is roadways are just that, FREE AND PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a NATURAL BORN RIGHT OF MOVEMENT by whatever means is available, so long as we harm no one, damage no others property nor interfere with their right to use the same. The government HAS NO JURISDICTION!!!

The government can not tax private property -- just what alternate universe are you visiting from -- Ignorance is not a badge of honor though some seem to wear it proudly.

How do you ever arrive at the fact that roadways are free -- do you really believe that the road fairy comes in the middle of the night and repairs the roads and puts up signs and removes the snow and picks up the litter you throw out the window.

It has to be paid somehow. We are taxed at the pump to repair those roads. The taxes do not rise with the price of gas, the taxes are a necessary to have roads so you can buy stuff at Wal-Mart. The roads are a part of the infrastructure that the Tea Baggers are hell bent for leather trying to do away with. If you had bothered to read the sorry excuse of and article you would have see that it was just a thought. When smart people think not all the thoughts that are thought are good. It does address the issue of what happens if the revenue dries up as the population of vehicles becomes less dependent on gas. Smart people also look ahead.

So if you are unwilling to pay your fair share there are countries who would welcome you with open arms -- I thing the wx in Somalia is probably warming up, and the infrastructure is pretty much no existent. You would be very happy there. Me I have grown accustomed to the perks of a more civilized society and I don't mind paying my way.

Remember the call KEEP GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY MEDICARE Go Baggers.

edit on 5-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join