It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a hybrid to use less gas? You might have to pay an extra "hybrid tax" to make up the differenc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

A Utah senator is proposing charging a fee to owners of hybrid and electric cars to make their drivers — who use less gasoline and, therefore, pay less gas taxes — help fund the roads they use.

This idea will spread. Politicians love any excuse to tax you.

Lawmakers in Washington state are considering a $100 annual fee on electric cars, and legislation in Oregon would charge drivers of electric and plug-in hybrid cars 1.43 cents per mile.

I imagine that loon in NJ who proposed here "bicycle tax" wont be sounding so loony in the near future.
At least not to her politician peers.

Hybrid Tax

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Haha. If this goes on, we will just accept this. I've bin around long enough to draw that conclusion.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Aren't road taxes included in the car registation fees.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Not enough apparently.

The government always needs more.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
That is bull crap. People pay the extra money it costs for a hybrid to save money on gas in the long run, and now the government is taxing by the mile!!! I for one just wont be paying it. Let em try it!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76
That is bull crap. People pay the extra money it costs for a hybrid to save money on gas in the long run, and now the government is taxing by the mile!!! I for one just wont be paying it. Let em try it!

Then you won't be driving it

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Don't buy any new cars as they'll start requiring this mile tax technology to be added to the newer more gas efficient vehicles. By the way - I guarantee you these taxes will be funneled to the same people behind the oil market. They'll get their money from their slaves one way or the other.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Douchbaggery. Its all I can say. I've had my hybrid since 06. It pAys for vacations. Guess that will be ending soon. Oh well.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This ain't gonna fly nor will it pass.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sounds like the city that raised water rates after a major water conservation drive reduced their revenue.

San Luis Obispo residents are using less water, and will now be asked to pay more for it.

That increase is to be used to help offset what the city calls an “unprecedented” drop in water use that has created a more than $1 million revenue decline, Utilities Director Carrie Mattingly said.

SLO raises its water rates to offset city’s lower usage

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Just more proof the cap and trade concepts (and other similar proposals) are SCAMS and have nothing to do with the environment. It's all about revenue.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Tax people under the claim of environment for damaging it, tax people who are environment-friendly under the claim of lost revenue.

It's all about the money. Not the planet.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Soo, then what is the use to buy a hybrid to save on gas money when you have to pay for the difference anyway.

I be this government whore is been paid very well by his pimps the Oil barons mafia for this bill.

edit on 5-5-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Will they have cyclist tax and pedestrian tax as well. Because they aren't paying their fair share of gasoline tax either.

let's not forget those damn skateboarders and rollerbladers either.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Bill like this makes you wonder if the only job of the whores leaders in this nations is just to tax the poor and working class until is not more they can bleed from them.

But rest assure somebody else is profiting handsomely

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
i say they start taxing themselves for every stupid idea and stupid thing they want to do.

less than a year the national deficit would be paid off.

taxes are the only thing they know how to do they just cant grasp the concept of cutting spending.

nothing but idiots in dc and that included both sides and a idiot and chief.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Laughing about a gas tax for bicycles. Don't laugh too much. The concept is actually passed around. Essentially you would be taxed or have a levy added to your tax bill based on the current gasoline prices. So even if you only own bicycles you'll still need to pay the same taxes for roads and gasoline that automobile drivers see.

There are, meanwhile, better ideas for highway funding. They include not only raising the gas tax, but turning it into a levy based on the price of fuel rather than the amount purchased, so that revenue will rise with the price.

But it would be a fair approach that would amount to a user fee for highways. It would also capture more money from the buyers of expensive hybrid and electric cars, now looked down upon in some circles because their energy-saving habits don’t produce enough gas-tax income.

www.sltrib.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I hate to say this, but it was a time when taxes were was kept the nation going and the national debt tamed, because we were a productive nation.

But for some reason our government got itself so big that now they has lost control of how to keep spending.

Now that they found a way to used the tax payers to pay for their own mistakes they know that the tax payer will not seat idly if they start to raise taxes to start paying for the outrageous spending.

As the nation now transition from producers to consumers the government is having a hard time paying its bills.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Will they have cyclist tax and pedestrian tax as well. Because they aren't paying their fair share of gasoline tax either.

let's not forget those damn skateboarders and rollerbladers either.

NJ is trying to get people to register and insure pedal bikes.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This will not fly.
edit on 5-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That is absolutely disgusting (regarding the proposals for bike riders).

I have a feeling the government knows what's coming. With speculation gas prices could raise to $8 a gallon (or whatever is being predicted), they know the citizen will finally give up and look for alternative travel sources be it hybrid, bicycle, walking, or even limiting driving to the barest necessities of travel.

So the government is seeking ways to get blood from a turnip in advance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join