It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transistors Reinvented Using New 3-D Structure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Intel Corporation has announced a significant breakthrough in the evolution of the transistor, the microscopic building block of modern electronics. For the first time since the invention of silicon transistors over 50 years ago, transistors using a three-dimensional structure will be put into high-volume manufacturing. Intel will introduce a revolutionary 3-D transistor design called Tri-Gate The 22nm 3-D

Tri-Gate transistors provide up to 37 percent performance increase at low voltage versus Intel's 32nm planar transistors. This incredible gain means that they are ideal for use in small handheld devices, which operate using less energy to "switch" back and forth. Alternatively, the new transistors consume less than half the power when at the same performance as 2-D planar transistors on 32nm chips.

source

New mass-produced transistors.
I think that what we need are some new interfaces so that our PC's can remain functional as they continue to shrink.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
yeap big news.
i believe this will bring great improvements on the next generation of chips (- voltage and less leakage, + frequency), but i'm holding my breath for the graphene and memristor ones.

here's a silly but effective video explaining the concept

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by maoklein
yeap big news.
i believe this will bring great improvements on the next generation of chips (- voltage and less leakage, + frequency), but i'm holding my breath for the graphene and memristor ones.

here's a silly but effective video explaining the concept

The next generation of chips? Who is using the current generation? Are you? Intel already developed and built the i9 processor. They are selling them as i7 and nobody is buying them because they cost over $1000 USD. They are still running commercials for the i5 because that's all most people can afford. The economy is collapsing. Most people don't know how to use the processing power they already have. Yet people are still excited in new chip technology.

Can you explain what you are going to do with the next generation of chip? Some people believe they will eventually be able to transform their consciousness into a chip. Good luck with that. The clock is ticking.

edit on 5-5-2011 by NE1911 because: removing embed

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This is definitely a significant breakthrough. However, its effect will be severely dampened by economic considerations. We've been making the same transistors for a long time, and we have a LOT of infrastructure (*extremely* expensive infrastructure) that is dedicated to making transistors the same old way. Unless there is a significant economic impact, I don't think these will see mainstream use for a long time to come. I do think we will see them in the near future in specialized technologies, like high-end computing, military applications, research, and so on, but I don't think they will be in your cellphone or desktop computer any time soon.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

This isn't really new thinking as there was talk about DIAGONAL wiring, z-chips years ago.

This is about reducing wiring, lowering latencies and shorter paths, they where even taking about builting in tiny pipes onto the dies to pipe in coolant.

What they really need to do is reduce the clock speeds (even get rid of the damn clock) and make a runtime that automatically selects tasks in the program to run concurrently on a large amount of cores perhaps asymetrically and symetrically depending on the operation, ofcourse this would require a new thinking and ofcourse programmers are still egotistical and always flame new approaches that do things automatically (and better).

www.google.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by moogins

There is already distributed software that you can use to build your own supercomputers. It would be cheaper to build 2 boxes with the old core i5 and run them in tandem than to build a new i7 box and you would have more power. But, from what I hear, windows purposely doesn't run on clusters like that. They are afraid if they turn on a computer that powerful it will become self aware and take over the world.

Good news, though. Google has already built their own operating system and recently turned on the most powerful computer in the world. Only they aren't talking about it anymore. Wonder why that is?

www.kottke.org...

Originally posted by moogins
reply to post by iforget

This isn't really new thinking as there was talk about DIAGONAL wiring, z-chips years ago.

This is about reducing wiring, lowering latencies and shorter paths, they where even taking about builting in tiny pipes onto the dies to pipe in coolant.

What they really need to do is reduce the clock speeds (even get rid of the damn clock) and make a runtime that automatically selects tasks in the program to run concurrently on a large amount of cores perhaps asymetrically and symetrically depending on the operation, ofcourse this would require a new thinking and ofcourse programmers are still egotistical and always flame new approaches that do things automatically (and better).

www.google.com...

Wow. I see they call that the X chip. Planet X. If they could just find an overunity source they wouldn't even need humans. Hmm. I wonder if humans can put out more than they take in. 110% Maybe they could use us as batteries like the Matrix. Most of us are already living in it.
edit on 5-5-2011 by NE1911 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by NE1911 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join