It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
How many miles is it from Cleveland, Ohio to Washington D.C.? They can tax me for every mile it takes me to drive down there, kick some politician in his a$$, and back again.

While they're at it maybe they can tax us for the number of breaths we take each year because we are using up all the air reserved for the elitist a**holes.
edit on 5-5-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I will be willing to pay a by the mile tax if all of our government agrees to a by the lie tax for them!!!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
here is the headline I want
but will never see.

Obama cuts Military by 50% to balance the budget

I think you're onto something here....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
So, does this mean they plan on taxing this again? In North Carolina if you look at the pump you will see that there is already a federal and local tax on each gallon sold.

Since each car has varying Miles per gallon ratings, this would be difficult to do without some sort of tracking chip.

Two gallons in my Kia gets me much further than 2 gallons in my Dad's Z71, so I can see that Taxing per gallon doesn't equate to similar mileage between various makes and models, but I really don't understand why they want to double dip the tax on road usage.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

cut spending...

I don't think that term is clearly understood by any elected official in Washington D.C.

Some years ago, when there was talk of cutting the rate of spending growth, many members of congress described that as a spending cut.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
...but I really don't understand why they want to double dip the tax on road usage.

Really? It's money/property taken from our pockets and given to the politicians. That's always been the goal of government. Take what's yours and give it to themselves.

All of this nonsense about welfare and infrastructure is just how they convince you to accept and cheer for the scam year after year. It's okay for the gov to take a loaf of your bread because if you're lucky they might give you a slice back.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbyforce

Originally posted by boondock-saint
here is the headline I want
but will never see.

Obama cuts Military by 50% to balance the budget

I think you're onto something here....

and I see them all lined up on the
grassy knoll to take me out too.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Our entire taxation system here in the United States is absurd.

We are taxed by both the State and Federal governments on our income to buy our cars and gasoline.
We are taxed (in some States) when we buy our vehicle.
We are taxed a property tax each year on said vehicle, just to own it.
We are taxed on the gasoline we purchase.

And now they (the gov't) wants to tax us per mile we drive?

This is exessive taxation, and our representatives aren't doing anythnig about it. Mad yet?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Astr0

I agree. It's much easier for the government to control folks when they are all living compacted into tight living areas. This is part of the UN Agenda 21 plan.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Konah

This is exessive taxation, and our representatives aren't doing anythnig about it.

Sure they are. They're agreeing with it and looking for even more ways to tax us.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
He wouldn't dare to try and enforce such a tax untill after the 2012 election.
There's No Way he could win if he did, even though he told the real people that found obl to kill him (which is ALL he did besides watch - a big woop woop nu nu). People won't put up with a milage tax!
I think, for now, he's gonna concentrate more on getting votes by Trying to make the criminal invaders legal because that's about the only way he could win another election.

edit on 5-5-2011 by AmericanDaughter because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by AmericanDaughter because: mis spelling fix

link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
So, does this mean they plan on taxing this again? In North Carolina if you look at the pump you will see that there is already a federal and local tax on each gallon sold.

Since each car has varying Miles per gallon ratings, this would be difficult to do without some sort of tracking chip.

Two gallons in my Kia gets me much further than 2 gallons in my Dad's Z71, so I can see that Taxing per gallon doesn't equate to similar mileage between various makes and models, but I really don't understand why they want to double dip the tax on road usage.

Here is an item from the annals of unintended consequences...

Part of the incentive for buying more earth friendly cars is the lower cost of driving them. If the government institutes a per mile tax a lot of that incentive would be lost. Then people who were on the fence over whether to buy a more earth friendly car, which usually costs more to buy, or a less earth friendly and lower cost car would opt for the cheaper initial investment since such a per mile tax would greatly increase the time it takes to recover the higher initial cost through operational savings. In fact if the tax was high enough it could even eliminate the possibility of recovering the difference between the greener car and the less green car.

link   
Perhaps if they stopped spending like crack addicted retards, the need for "new revenue streams" wouldn't be an issue.

But then again that would be responsible, and as everyone knows, progressives despise responsibility.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

They are attacking hybrids with or without the per-mile tax.

A Utah senator is proposing charging a fee to owners of hybrid and electric cars to make their drivers — who use less gasoline and, therefore, pay less gas taxes — help fund the roads they use.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Either way the entire reason behind getting one of these vehicles is being rendered moot by government.

I'm sure a couple of years of this will lead to "people arent buying efficient cars like we thought they would so we need to push carbon taxes harder than ever before."
edit on 5-5-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
How will the progressives actually get this lead balloon to fly? Lots and Lots and Lots of Hot Air of course. The logistics of this nimrod plan will actually involve more red tape to employ more federal government workers. That's what this all about. Just like Obamacare...

How will they collect this new tax anyway? Estimates? actual tracking devices? Taxi cab style meters? No way Jose!!! What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone tell Nobama that he probably shouldn't promote this BS now that his campaign is underway.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
What about farmers and people who live in the West, where you have to drive farther just to get the necessities of life? Are those the people who drive "excessively" that you are pointing the finger at?

Oh, you mean the farmers who already receive agricultural tax breaks and subsidies? Not to mention, that is such a small percentage of the population...I figured you could have come up with a more substantial segment of the population to defend. Nonetheless, I doubt the plan would be as black and white as you paint it. Certainly there would be exemptions.

Additionally, (and I should have added this in my original post) I am working under the assumption that this would be in lieu of a federal gas tax, not in addition to.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I am working under the assumption that this would be in lieu of a federal gas tax, not in addition to.

That's so naive it's cute.

Just like all of those states who instituted sales taxes to take the edge off of property taxes who now have some of the highest sales and property taxes in the nation.

Or the lotteries that were going to take the edge off of property taxes and fund educational programs that now just go into states general funds while property taxes continue to rise.

Or state income taxes that were supposed to ease sales and property taxes that continue to rise.

But I'm sure this tax will be different.

Besides, if I'm paying a tax on every gallon I consume is that not already a tax per mile tax?
The only reason they would implement another tax that is identical to an existing tax is so they can have both taxes.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Of course there will be exemptions. Every "good" Obama plan actually requires exemptions. I've already lost count of the Obamacare exemptions that have been granted to special companies and unions.

I can foresee exemptions for Teamsters, SEIU, etc.... Because those people have to drive to get to their jobs. Only them though... Obama has to pay them back and pay them forward until 2012.

Sorry, Nothing personal. I've just had enough of this BS already... Our nation is on the edge of economic meltdown and all this administration seems to be concerned with is generating new sources of tax revenue without cutting anything back that is significant enough to make a dent.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I heard of this plan floated a few years ago for the DOT to do a study for putting trackers in each vehicle in order to record the mileage to be reported on a monthly or yearly basis of some sort. The technology exists to various degrees.

The simplest and most efficient way cost-wise would be to use something like the PrePass system in which a small RFID chip is placed on the windshield and relays data to readers along the interstates. It saves a lot of time in the trucking industry as the confirmed weight, cargo, destination, time the last time the ID passed a scanner is all loaded into a computer system and allows for the truck to pass the scales or be notified to pull in if the green light is not given. Of course this would not give the accurate mileage used and the readers could be avoided by intelligent drivers.

On board GPS tracking systems could be used. And if government issued, could be something similar to (or actually made by) Garman, Tom-Tom and other companies. Just next time you renew your tags, you get a free GPS that you must leave with the car or plugged into your wall at home. But problems will arise from those not driving often or will not turn them on while driving.

A combination of the two systems could be used with renewed driver's licenses that are inline with the National ID Act and contain RFID chips. Problems would be that you could be charged for being a passenger versus actually driving.

Yet I am reminded of this simple promise made...I suspect that this story is being used to undercut the "success" of the OBL raid in order to remove it as a political tool for 2012. In other words to turn this small soundbite into Obama's version of "Read my lips, No New Taxes."

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

There is no indication that the federal gasoline tax would be eradicated in favor of this plan.

What possible reason would the feds have to ever give up a revenue stream?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join