It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Another "progressive" attack on our way of life.

Of course this would place an extra tax burden on people who live in rural areas - especially in the western U.S., where every place you need to go to is farther away than it is for urban dwellers.

source

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
They wanted to have this is The Netherlands to, they are still debating over it though.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I swear the whole agenda is to get humanity packed in at dens living in total abject squalore and oppressed as the chinese population as a whole are now.

That would leave vast tracks of land for the elite to do as they see fit and grow fresh wholesome food for themselves.

Obama better not get another 4 years is all i can say.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
We have to get rid of this idiot in 2012!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Next up...

Tax the number of steps we take!

Tax keystrokes!

Maybe that is why music is bad lately....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Apparently Obama's approval #s went up too much to suit him, guess he's not used to them being up...

So he's going to try to do something stupid and unpopular to bring 'em back down.

Just the fact that he thought about this plan alone is enough to keep normal thinking people from voting for him.

Edit to add:

Is he freaking nuts?

edit on 5-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
they are already taxing gasoline.
This would be double taxation.
Oh no !!!

are they gonna start taxing us every time
we take a pee too ???

so stupid

at this rate, it won't be long before
you will need a federal permit to
breathe.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Good! I barely drive anywhere....maybe 3000 miles a year. If I drive less, then I should be taxed less. I'm shouldn't have to foot the bill for those that drive excessively.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
If Obama goes in 2012, there will be another idiot with a similar agenda even if his/her rhetoric is different. The office of the President is a puppet position. As to the idea of taxing mileage...wow. They really really really want to destroy the middle class.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
Next up...

Tax the number of steps we take!

Tax keystrokes!

If "progressives" are successful in taxing people out of their vehicles, they will unfortunately need to look for additional tax revenue streams to finance their ever growing "nanny state".

So, in a way, what you are saying is not all that facetious.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

are they gonna start taxing us every time we take a pee too ???

I hope not.
But I can hold my pee for a while.
I hope they don't start taxing breathing, I can't hold my breath that long.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astr0
I swear the whole agenda is to get humanity packed in at dens living in total abject squalore and oppressed as the chinese population as a whole are now.

That would leave vast tracks of land for the elite to do as they see fit and grow fresh wholesome food for themselves.

Yes.

Originally posted by Astr0Obama better not get another 4 years is all i can say.

No.

Won't make a lick of difference, as long as people keep being fooled by the Republican/Democrat paradigm (which I suspect you are.) The partisan line is simply a tool to manipulate the masses. The agenda is the same regardless of whatever talking points from whatever partisanship they pretend to espouse.

+3 more 
posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Totally agree!

Just make sure you start taxing me less since I don't use welfare, food stamps, medicaid/medicare, etc. Tax me less because I don't support our foreign wars so I shouldn't be forced to pay for that either. Tax me less, too, because I haven't had any natural disasters in my area so I don't need federal rescue aid.

Thanks!

Or we can both stop the games and admit this is a RIDICULOUS plan.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Good! I barely drive anywhere....maybe 3000 miles a year. If I drive less, then I should be taxed less. I'm shouldn't have to foot the bill for those that drive excessively.

Quite the "ivory tower" viewpoint.

As i stated - but you apparently did not read - what about farmers and people who live in the West, where you have to drive farther just to get the necessities of life? Are those the people who drive "excessively" that you are pointing the finger at?

An excellent example of how people who claim to have everyone's best interests at heart (progressives) truly don't.

How about admitting that the fairest solution to this question is NO tax on miles driven?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Then you hardly pay any taxes anyway, since you don't use much gasoline. This is an attack on people with electric vehicles, or cars with high gas mileage. They want to make sure that people with small lightweight vehicles that doo little damage to the roadways get to pay more than their fair share to maintain them.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Time to start riding a bike, or would they attach a mechanism to track those miles also? F them.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

When you consider how much of the per gallon cost of gasoline is taxes you are already being taxed less for driving less. They are just trying to find a new way to tax people so any one tax doesn't look that bad even though the overall amount we all pay in taxes keeps going up. I favor a different type of tax structure that would be fair to all and would let far fewer off the hook by being able to hide income among other tactics. You can read my take on taxes here...

forum4.aimoo.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
here is the headline I want
but will never see.

Obama cuts Military by 50% to balance the budget

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

When you consider how much of the per gallon cost of gasoline is taxes you are already being taxed less for driving less. They are just trying to find a new way to tax people so any one tax doesn't look that bad even though the overall amount we all pay in taxes keeps going up. I favor a different type of tax structure that would be fair to all and would let far fewer off the hook by being able to hide income among other tactics. You can read my take on taxes here...

forum4.aimoo.com...

Look what has happened to government tax revenues when they raised the tax on cigarettes to the point that it actually made people quit smoking because they couldn't afford it. The government had to raise taxes on other things to make up for the lost revenue.

This is exactly what will happen as the government has to scramble to make up for lost gasoline tax revenue when people shift to more efficient vehicles, or quit driving altogether.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Is it really to much to ask that they, oh i dont know, CUT SPENDING????

Thats all I ask... I dont mind paying taxes, but when they think its the only way to help fix the budget problem....

meh..

cut spending...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join