It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin: A news letter from NASA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I can't wait unt until Elenin passes by and then every doomsdayer can be laughed off this site.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lestweforget

It is becoming clearer that NASA is being truthful about the comet as amateur astronomical groups have now begun making observations that agree with NASA's published data.

Yet doomsday cultists and YouTube hoaxers continue to produce increasingly outlandish claims while the facts mount up against them.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Are you seriously asserting that if i simply go back to my school books i can some how regain confidence in what NASA provides for us as credible information regarding incoming possible dangers or not?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

A more realistic view would be that NASA is only publishing amateur astronomers that agree, since when do NASA publish anything that they do not agree with? Seriously what a weak post!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
I can't wait unt until Elenin passes by and then every doomsdayer can be laughed off this site.

I think we should spawn a thread that records the name of everyone who, despite the facts, keeps up with the "OMG Nibiru\dwarf star\comet
" thing.

So we can preserve, for posterity, all those we would love to ridicule publicly.

Sadly, I think that is against the T&C of ATS.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

No, NASA does not publish amateur astronomy magazines.

I think you are so paranoid about NASA that you ignore the fact that it is a small branch subsidized by one government, of only one country in the world.

There are amateur astronomers by their hundreds (if not thousands) in most countries around the world and they all are observing something consistent with the published data.
edit on 5/5/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

When we pass through Nibirus tail of debri the internet will be the last thing on your mind!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

What makes you so sure that there is no danger?Have you been to the future?When did scientists become gods?People don't know everything,you are stating your opinion with such certainty that someone might believe you...
All we have about that comet is speculations,little data and many opinions...i advise people not to panic and feel fear,but not to think that we know everything.
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

If a large group of people took your advise and Elenin/Nibiru turned out to be a danger afterall you would be responsible for them being caught unprepared.
What would be the downside if they prepared to some degree and Elenin/Nibiru turned out to be a passing comet?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Call me crazy but...

I believe this could be the Blue Star Kachina of the Hopi Prophecy.

I believe to trust NASA one would first have to trust the NAZI's.... i.e. Debunk Operation Paperclip...Yeah?

What? Are ATSers unaware that 1000's of Nazi scientists were brought to america and put into positions in Academia, the Military Industrial Complex and that Nasa is an extension of the US military?

Of course everything they say is not a lie or a conspiracy yet all they have to do is lie when it matters and they do not have to fool all the fools, only the majority....

I bet many of you do not understand why you eat bacon and eggs for breakfast???

Oh yes, there is a real reason we eat bacon and eggs for breakfast and oh yes it is MIGHTY relevant to the subject matter.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OverMan

I would really like to understand your point on bacon and eggs...and apparently many civilizations have speculated and written of the worlds end...can it be a coincidence?

Godspeed

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by iceblue20-12

Nasa is a running joke at the European space agency.

I assume this means you are employed by the ESA. Please share some of these "in jokes" with us....

I'll give you one...

"Q: Hwy couldn't Naza get to ze Moon? "

"A: Ze american astronauts couldn't fit zhrough ze Van Allen belt. "

Sorry, couldn't resist, nothing personal at all!

On topic though, I'm curious about the so-called "rocket-like thrust" that Mr. Yeomans claim comets have.

In the process of these gases coming out, it introduces a rocket-like thrust on the comet itself, and we have to try and model that in order to predict where these things will be. Some comets have fits and starts and their outgassing is not at all uniform or regular, and their nuclei (spin-axis) are chaotically moving with time, which makes it very difficult to model their motions.

source

Can anyone predict how much thrust Elenin will gain as it passes the sun?
And have every amateur astronomer accounted for this thrust?

I apologize if these are basic questions, my knowledge in this area is very limited.

-FL

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Im also interested in the bacon and eggs connection, love my bacon and egg breakfasts every sunday morning.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Logman

I know because laughing at people brave and/or foolish enough to make bold and even wild speculation is a popular past time, it Proves "stuff" about them and makes me feel better knowing that even though I am of average intelligence and simply lucky to be here, that I can still see through their fearful illusions!

Empowerment baby!!!

Afterall, it isnt like Earth's Geological History shows any record of these wild claims of magnetic and/or non-magnetic pole shift, layers of multiple mass extinction events or any other clues to indicate that advanced civilizations such as our own have ever met an ill fate... ya know, so why should any of us worry?

Go Obama!
USA #1!
I like money!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Well, there is an example of interaction in comet Encke.

Encke's short period combined with its trajectory inside the orbit of Mercury means it may have been blasted by CMEs more often than any other comet routinely observed by astronomers. Could this have some effect on the comet's nature and evolution? "We don't yet know."
science.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
K, ready?

But of course you are!

en.wikipedia.org...

Edward Bernays

One of Bernays' favorite techniques for manipulating public opinion was the indirect use of "third party authorities" to plead his clients' causes. "If you can influence the leaders, either with or without their conscious cooperation, you automatically influence the group which they sway", he said. In order to promote sales of bacon, for example, he conducted a survey of physicians and reported their recommendation that people eat heavy breakfasts. He sent the results of the survey to 5,000 physicians, along with publicity touting bacon and eggs as a heavy breakfast.

and a few other relevant "tie ins", damn it he was good!!!

Bernays' public relations efforts helped to popularize Freud's theories in the United States. Bernays also pioneered the PR industry's use of psychology and other social sciences to design its public persuasion campaigns:
"If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, is it not possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without their knowing about it? The recent practice of propaganda has proved that it is possible, at least up to a certain point and within certain limits."

Bernays helped the Aluminum Company of America (Alcoa) and other special interest groups to convince the American public that water fluoridation was safe and beneficial to human health. This was achieved by using the American Dental Association in a highly successful media campaign

Bernays' most extreme political propaganda activities were said to be conducted on behalf of the multinational corporation United Fruit Company (today's Chiquita Brands International) and the U.S. government to facilitate the successful overthrow (see Operation PBSUCCESS) of the democratically elected president of Guatemala, Jacobo Arbenz Guzman. Bernays' propaganda (documented in the BBC documentary, The Century of the Self), branding Arbenz as communist, was published in major U.S. media. According to a book review by John Stauber and Sheldon Rampton of Larry Tye's biography, "The Father of Spin: Edward L. Bernays & The Birth of PR",

"the term 'banana republic' actually originated in reference to United Fruit's domination of corrupt governments in Guatemala and other Central American countries. The company brutally exploited virtual slave labor in order to produce cheap bananas for the lucrative U.S. market."
Chilean poet Pablo Neruda would later denounce the dominance of foreign-owned banana producers in the politics of several Latin American countries in a poem titled "La United Fruit Co."

Gosh all this from wiki??? Wonder what one would find if they dug deeper???
*evil megalomaniacal laughter slowly fading into silence*

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

The Earth does not pass through the tail of comet C2010 X1 Elenin.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
My only question is, if it is, as NASA states a fairly insignificant ball of ice and dust, then why is such a big deal being made about it? You wouldn't go through so much trouble if the truth was insignificant. Sort of like the presidents birth certificate.

People killed themselves in the 90s because they though a UFO was trailing Hale-Bopp and that it would beam them up when they died. People are now starting to make the same claims regarding Elenin. It pains me that the Hale-Bopp UFO nonsense got its start from an amateur astronomer who misinterpreted a photo he took of the comet and proclaimed it to be a UFO on coast-to-coast AM. Personally I can't stand to see astronomical data completely misinterpreted and misunderstood, like the motto of the site, I want to deny ignorance... deny ignorance a chance to spread. The truth is that this comet IS insignificant. I'm sorry you can't understand my motivation for going to this much trouble to debunk it, but that does not make my motivation invalid or suspect. It just means you do not understand me.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Comet Elenin continues to increase in size, and another close approach with a large Main belt asteroid

spaceobs.org...[ed itby]edit on 5-5-2011 by nedined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flawless Logic
Can anyone predict how much thrust Elenin will gain as it passes the sun?
And have every amateur astronomer accounted for this thrust?

Over short time scales associated with this apparition there's no need to account for it; it's too small an effect. If it weren't, astrometric measurement of the comet's position would be inconsistent with its orbit and make it impossible to compute valid Keplerian elements for the comet. My measurement of the comet's position just a couple nights ago showed it to be exactly where the orbit said it should be.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join