It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is ST6 or "SEAL Team 6"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I keep seeing & hearing terms and names thrown around by people (both in the media and here) that are either misinformed or confused , other people repeat the misinfo as fact and it continues.

The purpose of this post is to inform you on ST6 so you actually know what you're talking about as you parrot what you're hearing on the news.

The 1st thing you need to know is this... SEAL TEAM 6 NO LONGER EXISTS!!!

And It hasn't existed for 24 years... I won't bore you with the history of the Navy SEALS ... but I will give you a few quick facts. The SEALS are the Navy's Special Ops... Currently There are 9 different teams that are based in different places and have different specialties. Back in 1980 Captain Richard Marcinko (Demo Dick) rounded up his finest shooters and looters and put them on one of the 2 teams that existed at that time , he called this Team, Team 6 and they basically specialized in Counter Terrorism Direct Action and Hostage Rescue, they were the cream of the crop so to say.

In 1987 ST6 was dissolved into the United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group or DEVGRU and their current designation is actually classified. So, there hasn't actually been a SEAL team 6 since 1987.

What makes these guys so special?!?.... DEVGRU is a Tier 1 asset or Black Ops , They are essentially the Elite of the Elite... When something has to be done quickly , quietly and has to be done right the first time.... Tier 1 assets are the guys that get the call, I'm sure you've seen cheesy movies where they say "If you're caught by the enemy we'll disavow all working knowledge of your existance" This is who they're talking about, these guys don't exist. they operate outside of the military by direct order of the president.

The other Tier 1 asset we have is what you may know as "Delta Force"... which is another misnomer, (1st SFOD-D)1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta or more recently ACE is the Army's Black Ops.

To understand the hierarchy of the Spec Ops community you have your Tier 2 guys, Army Green Berets, 75th Ranger Bat, USMC Force Recon, and Navy SEALS. They are ELITE. These are the assets being put into play when you hear about "Special Forces" in the media.

Then you have DEVGRU (SEAL team 6) and 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force)... Like I said previously, these are SUPER ELITE , the "Shadow Soliders" or Black Ops. These are the guys you normally don't hear about and are 100% classified.

I hope you're a little more informed after reading this.

My qualifications... You've probably noticed that I haven't posted any sources. The reason is simple... In the late 90's right out of high school I joined the Marine Corps. After Bootcamp and Infantry Combat Training, I reported to my MOS School 0231 (Intel Spec) NMITC Navy & Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center which is located in Dam Neck, Va , Dam Neck is ALSO the Home of DEVGRU So I'd see them when I went to work in the morning,During my time there I learned about our assets and how they were used and I also was able to talk with a few of the guys & needless to say I have the utmost respect for them. I'm glad they completed mission and all made it back safely.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You forgot about MARSOC (Marine Corps. Special Operations Command) They got stood up in like 2006.

Most of the Force Recon guys went to MARSOC. But Force Recon still exists.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
If DEVGRU is a classified team with classified members, then its clear that calling them "SEAL Team 6" is for PR reasons. (1) its easier for the public to understand w/o a bunch of explanation (2) The government doesn't like disclosing info, whether its top secret or not, so its likely they'll pulled a bs term that the masses were familiar with to help the story along.

That being said; since the entire mission was a lie to begin with (from what transpired at the compound, to the who shot who, the number of dead, and whether or not Osama used his wife as a shield or not), then its probable they were just keeping up with the theme. I mean; they were watching the entire event go down via helmet cams, and they can't get their stories straight? Give me a break. All of this misinformation that's "leaking" out is no accident. Its all a ruse to keep the conspiracy wheels turning. Why? Because conspiracy theorist or not, the consensus is; he either died last weekend or he died in 2001. Either way..... he's d-e-a-d. As long as the theories and news support this, they've succeeded in their deception. The truth is; the mission on May 1st, 2011 was a snatch & grab. They took his ass alive. Why? I have my theories. Some are simple, some are complex, all of them make more sense than the bs story they're spinning in Whitehouse and feeding to the MSM.

SEAL Team six may have been dessolved, but that's the sugar that makes the Kool-Aid sweet, so people drink it up.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Well to say that they are the best .... An unarmed invalid and his wife.... Not very good pr to say the least. By the way people were going on about this unit, You would have thought just one of these guys could have taken him out. I just dont understand why he wasnt arrested and put into a court. For the world to see and hear from this guy. Instead hes shot and dumped in the sea? With no pics? yesssssssss

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I am at work right now, so can't do the research. If someone else wouldn't mind looking into it that would be great. On msnbc after obama made his announcement some guy was talking about JSOC I forget what that stands for, but basically its a group of people from all those elite devisions mentioned above. He said we would be hearing more about them in the coming weeks (months). Anyone else see this?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
You forgot about MARSOC (Marine Corps. Special Operations Command) They got stood up in like 2006.

Most of the Force Recon guys went to MARSOC. But Force Recon still exists.

I did forget about them, I was out by the time that happened. The Corps fought it for as long as possible... I liked it better when they weren't under USSOCOM. The Commandant thought they would be misused and with our small budget, too much would be allocated towards HSLD USSOCOM operations that weren't directly benefitting the Corps.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminnaughty
Well to say that they are the best .... An unarmed invalid and his wife.... Not very good pr to say the least. By the way people were going on about this unit, You would have thought just one of these guys could have taken him out. I just dont understand why he wasnt arrested and put into a court. For the world to see and hear from this guy. Instead hes shot and dumped in the sea? With no pics? yesssssssss

They're not supposed to have ANY PR. In reality whatever took place is what they were told to do. Sending one guy in only happens in movies and video games. I don't understand why he wasn't arrested and put in court either, but those decisions are made in "echelons above my pay grade" This thread isn't really about the executive decisions of the commander in chief, It's about DEVGRU.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HiroProtagonist
I am at work right now, so can't do the research. If someone else wouldn't mind looking into it that would be great. On msnbc after obama made his announcement some guy was talking about JSOC I forget what that stands for, but basically its a group of people from all those elite devisions mentioned above. He said we would be hearing more about them in the coming weeks (months). Anyone else see this?

JSOC (Joint Special Operations Command) is a component of USSOCOM and is Basically Tier 1 , It's made up of DEVGRU (NAVY) and 1st SOFOD-D (ARMY) . Depending on mission, other assets can be added as needed.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
If DEVGRU is a classified team with classified members, then its clear that calling them "SEAL Team 6" is for PR reasons. (1) its easier for the public to understand w/o a bunch of explanation (2) The government doesn't like disclosing info, whether its top secret or not, so its likely they'll pulled a bs term that the masses were familiar with to help the story along.

SEAL Team six may have been dessolved, but that's the sugar that makes the Kool-Aid sweet, so people drink it up.

Well Mac, this thread isn't about conspiracies or politics it's strictly factual & informational. We've got a good 40 conspiracy threads on OBL , Either he's in the CIA, or he died in 01, or he died last week, or he was cryogenically frozen, or he's still alive.... there's a couple of dozen threads here that will delve into whatever rabbit hole you want.

I made this thread because everyone and their mother was talking about "SEAL team 6" and It was driving me nuts so I figured I'd try to stop the ignorance... It annoyed me almost as bad as people that call Rifle & Pistol "Magazines" "Clips".

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

On the local News here, a prominant woman in society, (one of those wealthy types that owns every business) was talking about SEAL Team 6 and the raid on Osama's compound, and she mentioned how her son was K.I.A back in the 90's.
The guy was kind of a local hero and the News came to her. Not like she was glory hounding.

And on the subject of Government and "facts"? You're chasing a unicorn on that subject buddy.
edit on 5-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire

And on the subject of Government and "facts"? You're chasing a unicorn on that subject buddy

Mac, I get it ... you don't trust the government....understandable. There is no polarity in this thread, no left/right... no conservative/liberal. It's strictly informational and factual in nature. like I've said previously, If you want to debate the validity of the operation, there are other threads for that... this isn't one of them.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I was only stating the Fact that a local woman, whom everyone knows here, had a son who died in the mid-nineties and was a part of SEAL Team 6 (ten years after they were disbanded). That's the fact. Could DEVGRU have been made out of the original Team 6 guys, and later another team 6 was assembled? That's likely. I was only stating what I know to be true. Guys in the 80's team 6 were integrated into DEVGRU. That's your intel and that's fine. The truth of the matter is DEVGRU is passé and the Navy hasn't released any info on who has replaced these "tier 1" guys yet.

As far as my theory? This is a conspiracy site. Hell, even gravity is only a theory.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Please don't give out any information on who killed Bin Ladin. You could get them killed. They are just doing what they were ordered and trained to do.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminnaughty

Well so were the victims of 9/11. Unarmed.

They are the best. No doubt about it. How the person was taken out is besides the point (it is all based on what the orders were).

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Please don't give out any information on who killed Bin Ladin. You could get them killed. They are just doing what they were ordered and trained to do.

This is common knowledge in the military. There is nothing secret about it, as for the safety of the teams... I have a suspicion that the guys will be ok =) ... but I'm sure they appreciate your concern.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Maybe something to do with Task Force 6? But I'm just guessing at that with no proof on that matter as of yet. Here's an article in the New York Times about them, query.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

For an inside look at seal team six I suggest the book Rogue Warrior by Richard "demo dick" Marchinko.
He pretty much created the blueprint for team six.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I did forget about them, I was out by the time that happened. The Corps fought it for as long as possible... I liked it better when they weren't under USSOCOM. The Commandant thought they would be misused and with our small budget, too much would be allocated towards HSLD USSOCOM operations that weren't directly benefitting the Corps.

Yeah, They fought it for the longest time. But the Spec Ops Command started getting allocated boat loads of cash, so the Marines jumped on board.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

For an inside look at seal team six I suggest the book Rogue Warrior by Richard "demo dick" Marchinko.
He pretty much created the blueprint for team six.

I read that when I was twelve! I LOVED IT!!! I think it was one of the reasons I joined the Corps...lol I was fascinated with all things military at an early age... it wasn't until I was older that I understood the seriousness of it. When you're a kid it's all fantasy, once you're an adult and you fully grasp the blessing that life is do you begin to understand the toll on the soul that having to make the decision to take the life of another human brings with it...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I sill haven't figured out whether "SEAL Team Six" or DEVGRU to be accurate is a small group or a large division, maybe someone can shed some light on that. As far as info on their activities as related to Bin Laden, I found this helpful:

www.historycommons.org...

The listed articles list a series of events where Green Berets and other teams were denied the chance to capture/kill Bin Laden and other al-qaeda leaders, so that SEAL Team 6 could do it instead. Each time listed, the men got away.

<<   2  3 >>

join