It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam and Muslims in the United States

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Both house and ground were vested in trustees, expressly for the use of any preacher of any religious persuasion who might desire to say something to the people at Philadelphia; the design in building not being to accommodate any particular sect, but the inhabitants in general; so that even if the Mufti of Constantinople were to send a missionary to preach Mohammedanism to us, he would find a pulpit at his service.

- Benjamin Franklin [1]

On June 17, 1775 a man named Peter Salem (Saleem) was at the Battle of Bunker Hill when the British Major John Pitcairn ordered the Americans to surrender, he fired the shot that fatally wounded Pitcairn and were awarded for his bravery as he also fought in the Lexington.

At least 6 colonial soldiers had Muslim names that fought in the American Revolution against the British; Yusuf Ben Ali, Bampett Muhammed, Salem Poor, Francis Saba, and Joseph Saba.

The North African, and Muslim, nation of Morocco was the first country in the world to recognize the United States as independent in 1777. Morocco was also the first of six Muslim nations to sign a peace agreement with the United States; Morocco (1786), Algeria (1795), Tripoli (1796), Tunis (1797), and Oman (1833).

Abrahim Abdul Rahman ibn Sori was bought at the age of 26 in 1788 by a Natchez, Mississippi cotton and tobacco farmer where he rose to become the overseer of the plantation.

In 1790 Yusuf Ben Aliwas counted in the 1790 Census for Sumter County, South Carolina. He was recruited for the American Revolution and was later taken further inland and was free citizen. He settled near Stateburg, SC where his descendants have remained and are known as the "Turks of Sumter County" due to their rather dark complexions.

1776-1785 Thomas Jefferson fought for, and won, the right of freedom of religion in Virginia. Then in 1791 he seen his fight for religious freedom approved in the US Constitution. In his words there was now:

"freedom for the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mohammedan, the Hindu and infidel of every denomination."..... "that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place or ministry whatsoever."

Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli from 1797 states:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

(Ironic how we are now bombing Tripoli) [2]

1783 the President of Yale College, Ezra Stiles, cited a study which showed that "Mohammadan" had morals "far superior to the Christian".

"A Mahometan," wrote a Boston newspaper columnist, "is excited to the practice of good morals in hopes that after the resurrection he shall enjoy the beautiful girls of paradise to all eternity; he is afraid to commit murder, adultery and theft, lest he should be cast into hell, where he must drink scalding water and the scum of the damned."

And this one was rather shocking to me, I must admit:

Benjamin Rush, the Pennsylvania signer of the Declaration of Independence and friend of Adams and Jefferson, applauded this feature of Islam, asserting that he had "rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammed inculcated upon our youth than see them grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principles."

Even the citizens of that time where people knew very little of foreign religions and cultures petitioned in Chesterfield County, Virginia to the state assembly on November 14, 1785 to: [3]

"Let Jews, Mehometans and Christians of every denomination enjoy religious liberty…thrust them not out now by establishing the Christian religion lest thereby we become our own enemys and weaken this infant state. It is mens labour in our Manufactories, their services by sea and land that aggrandize our Country and not their creeds. Chain your citizens to the state by their Interest. Let Jews, Mehometans, and Christians of every denomination find their advantage in living under your laws."

Muhammad Ali ibn Said who was a slave to an Arab master came to Detroit, Michigan to become a school teacher in 1860 to then in 1863 join the 55th Massachusetts Colored Regiment to fight for the North in the American Civil War. [4]

Hajji Ali was hired in 1856 by the American Cavalry to raise camels in Arizona and California then went on to become a prospector. [5]

One of the most impressive incidents involving Islam was during the American Civil War when the North was conducting their "scorched earth" policies of burning everything in sight a custodian of the library at the University of Alabama pleaded with the federal troop to not burn down the most magnificent library in the South. The soldier did not want to but was ordered to again after asking his commanding officer if he absolutely must. He promised to save one piece of literature from that library on April 4th and the book he chose was a rare version of the Koran. [6]

Alexander Russell Webb was the earliest prominent Anglo-American convert to Islam in 1888. While working as Ambassador to the Philippines under President Cleveland in 1887 he had found Islam and converted to it in 1888 after 15 years of giving up on religion. He had toured India as well to learn more about Islam. Returning to the US he wanted to propagate Islam. In 1893 he was the main representative of Islam at the World Parliament of Religions in Chicago.

Immigration of Muslims to America was small but began mostly in 1840s coming from Yemen and Turkey. Most settled in Dearborn, MI; Quincy, MA; and Ross, ND. [7]

1915 saw the first American Mosque founded by Albanian Muslims in Biddeford, ME. [8]

1934 was the first building constructed specifically to be a Mosque was built in Cedar Rapids, IA [7]

In 2007 a survey showed that 72% of Muslims seen religion as very important with the frequency of receiving answers to prayers being at 31% at least once a week and 12% once or twice a month. [9]

The 10 states with the largest Muslim population are; California, New York, Illinois, New Jersey, Indiana, Michigan, Virginia, Texas, Ohio, and Maryland. Along with that note 45% of Muslim Immigrants have an income of $50,000 or higher which is the same as the national average at 44%. [10]

Muslims had always been a reliable voting block for the Republican Party until after 9/11 when they voted overwhelmingly for the Democrats. Before that however on July 31, 2000 Talat Othman became the first Muslim to speak before a large political gathering when he opened at the Republican National Convention. [11]

A 2007 Pew Research Center survey concluded that 47% of American Muslims considered themselves Muslims first and Americans second. Which is amazingly good compared to 81% of British Muslims who see themselves as Muslim first and 69% of German Muslims. Also American Muslims have a poverty rate of only 2% higher than the national average compared to an 18% disparity in France and 29% disparity in Spain.

In that same poll it found that Muslims compared to the General Public had the view of:

Agree that one can get ahead with hard work: Muslims 71%, Public 64%
Rate their community as "excellent" or "good": Muslims 72%, Public 82%
Excellent or good personal financial situation: Muslims 42%, Public 49%
Satisfied with the state of the U.S.: Muslims 38%, Public 32%

The 2007 poll also found that 53% of American Muslims found it more difficult to be Muslim after 9/11. 54% believed U.S. government's anti-terrorism policies singled out Muslims. 76% were very or somewhat concerned about the rise of Islamic extremism around the world. 61% expressed the same feeling about Islamic extremism in the United States.

More results from the survey showed that 15% of American Muslims under the age of 30 supported Suicide Bombings against civilian targets. 11% said it would be "rarely justified". Those over the age of 30 supported it at a rate of 6%. [12]

After the research I had done on Muslims and Islam in America I have concluded that if many of our founding fathers can accept them as our equals in this country in the 18th century then there is no excuse in the 21st century that we cannot do the same. They have fought in the American Revolution alongside us. Fought in the American Civil War alongside us. Fought in every war from WWI through Iraq. They have been loyal Americans who work hard, educate themselves, love their religion, love(d) their country, and generally believe in integration rather than segregation.

I say love(d) because since the events of 9/11 many have felt disaffected from this country and while it is unfortunate the facts remain there are some who have fallen out of love with America.

LINKS & RESOURCES

1. www.earlyamerica.com...
2. www.muslimsinamerica.org...
3. www.loc.gov...
4. www.talkingaboutislam.com...
5. www.mahdieh.org...
6. www.islam101.com...
7. M'Bow, Amadou Mahtar; Kettani, Ali (2001). Islam and Muslims in the American continent. Beirut: Center of historical, economical and social studies. p. 109.
8. www.amp.ghazali.net...
9. religions.pewforum.org...
10. www.america.gov...
11. www.spiritus-temporis.com...
12. pewresearch.org...
edit on 5/5/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Well researched and written, a star and a flag for you sir..

Unfortunately there will be a large section that will disagree with your writings regardless of your articulate presentation and facts..

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth_Hz

Unfortunately you are correct. But I am sure of what I state, for every bigot there will be 100 intelligent warriors ready to bring them hell. If they dare to bring their hate onto this thread I hope it becomes the biggest mistake they ever made on ATS.

If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Go ahead and do what you want re Muslims.

But telling others what you think they should do is arrogant and counterproductive. Your research and your logic is yours and nobody else's.

Be, don't preach.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MindF

I do not recall telling anyone what they should do. If I said that please quote the text for me and I will apologize for my arrogance, should what you say be true.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
S&F for the OP.

I believe the muslim haters are a minority in this country as most people are generally accepting of other cultures.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindF
Go ahead and do what you want re Muslims.

But telling others what you think they should do is arrogant and counterproductive. Your research and your logic is yours and nobody else's.

Be, don't preach.

I read the whole OP and didn't see any preaching, just some well laid out information that I was unaware of. It's good to learn something new dont you think?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

More results from the survey showed that 15% of American Muslims under the age of 30 supported Suicide Bombings against civilian targets. 11% said it would be "rarely justified". Those over the age of 30 supported it at a rate of 6%. [12]

So the fraction is 15% which is certainly an alarming number (has the same question been asked to atheists or people of other faiths to compare? I sincerely doubt even 0,01% of christian and atheist people around me would support suicide bombings against civilians). And apparently it is increasing (15% among youth vs. 6 among the older people).

Now when we talk about US we can probably say muslim immigrants are not a big problem there and are relatively moderate. But PLEASE dont try to use these statistics when speaking about muslim immigrants in western europe. As we can see even from the OPs post:

A 2007 Pew Research Center survey concluded that 47% of American Muslims considered themselves Muslims first and Americans second. Which is amazingly good compared to 81% of British Muslims who see themselves as Muslim first and 69% of German Muslims.

it is is not applicable there.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Amazing job Misoir, I had no idea there were early ties in US history for Muslims/Islamics...you've educated me this morning.
S+F!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Amazing job Misoir, I had no idea there were early ties in US history for Muslims/Islamics...you've educated me this morning.
S+F!

But don't forget that one of the first wars the very young United States had to fight was against muslims. Against the muslim barbary coast pirates of north africa. Where the familar verse from the Marine song "to the shores of Tripoli" comes from.

source

The First Barbary War (1801–5), also known as the Barbary Coast War or the Tripolitan War, was the first of two wars fought between the United States and the North African Berber Muslim states known collectively as the Barbary States.

Pirate ships and crews from the North Africa's Berber states of Morocco, Tripoli, Tunis, and Algiers (the Barbary Coast), although nominally governed by the Ottoman Empire, were the scourge of the Mediterranean. Capturing merchant ships and enslaving or ransoming their crews provided the Muslim rulers of these nations with wealth and naval power.

As pointed out many times, not much has changed over the centuries regarding muslim beliefs and actions.

And so centuries later we're still fighting them ...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Have many threads explaining Islam and its comparison to America, the bottom line is they are not compatible. I speak about orthodoxy sect of the religion; this is the problem in the Middle East and the cause of all the fighting. Simple put between Sunni and Shiite the claim is I’m a better Muslim then you.

islam.about.com...

The division between Shia and Sunni dates back to the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and the question of who was to take over the leadership of the Muslim nation. Sunni Muslims agree with the position taken by many of the Prophet's companions, that the new leader should be elected from among those capable of the job. This is what was done, and the Prophet Muhammad's close friend and advisor, Abu Bakr, became the first Caliph of the Islamic nation. The word "Sunni" in Arabic comes from a word meaning "one who follows the traditions of the Prophet."
On the other hand, some Muslims share the belief that leadership should have stayed within the Prophet's own family, among those specifically appointed by him, or among Imams appointed by God Himself.
The Shia Muslims believe that following the Prophet Muhammad's death, leadership should have passed directly to his cousin/son-in-law, Ali. Throughout history, Shia Muslims have not recognized the authority of elected Muslim leaders, choosing instead to follow a line of Imams which they believe have been appointed by the Prophet Muhammad or God Himself. The word "Shia" in Arabic means a group or supportive party of people. The commonly-known term is shortened from the historical "Shia-t-Ali," or "the Party of Ali." They are also known as followers of "Ahl-al-Bayt" or "People of the Household" (of the Prophet).
However both sides agree with the religious side of Islam and its Prophet Muhammad, remember this prophet is considered to be the model for all man according to the Koran, so let’s look at this perfect man a model for all.

Supported by his wife and for years preached the one God theory like Jesus and others in the past, Mecca was not having his beliefs and forced him out. The people of Yathrib welcome him and the handful of followers he gathered over a period of time from Mecca. He then rages war against Mecca and for years they fought, till a diplomatic solution came about, from then on Medina becomes the main front for Muhammad, killing and battling all whom do not belief as he does till they submit, or pay the Jyzia a tax for non Muslims.
This perfect man, profit of God, uses force, violent force to apply his will on the people, has multiple wives but that’s ok so did many in the so called Holy Book of Christians, however this perfect man also takes wives by force or purchase, sleeps with 6 year old and has sex with 9 year old his wife Aisha, the so named mother of the believers, when he is 41 years old.
So bottom line this so called perfect man of God, is a murdering blood sacrificing pedophile, with many wives. Yeppers sounds like the man I want to be, NOT. Sounds more like a follower of Satan himself.

Look all organized religions have their problems, mainly because we are only told half the story, the people in charge picked what is to be written and what is not a Holly Book, no body has the whole picture and that is why there are many different beliefs not only just in America but around the world.

So with only half the picture given, and if only this one point was fact as it is, the so called perfect man at 41 has sex with a 9 year old, wife or not, this is not someone or something I want to have anything to do with. Remember he married her at age 6, that’s a grown man going to a first grade classroom and picking out a wife, it’s sick. Forget about the 72 virgins you get when you kill yourself or get killed when at Jihad (war) and there are many fazes of Jihad, little more on that, when they blow themselves up, the family gets paid 25K and the dead gets to ask for favor from God to bring to heaven 75 of his friends, that number might be wrong going from memory.

So if I lived in a desert with a bunch of wives and kids to take care of, heck 25k plus a free ticket to heaven with a bunch of virgins, sounds good to me, and besides if you haven’t figured it out most of the women bring in the money to the house hold, and if they want the new 9 years old next door they divorce one of the 4 wives they currently have and keep all her assets.

Again all organized religion is like a salad bar, selecting only the parts they like and want to follow and ignoring the rest, so my advice to all is read, study all religions and the materials they offer, but only follow your heart not someone else’s idea of what it should be. We are all born with a heart of Love, it becomes corrupt with others idea’s, we know what is right and wrong at birth, we see the world through the eyes of Love, and it’s only through others prejudices that Love becomes distorted and this distortion often turns into hate.

All wars are often fought for what reason, a belief, be it religions or pride in a country or perhaps land resources. What ever happened to pride in self, till we can stop falling for the brainwashing by those in charge we will never truly be free. Simple choose Love over Hate in all situations and this world would be a much better place for all.

God Bless you all and your families
Amen.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I believe the muslim haters are a minority in this country as most people are generally accepting of other cultures.

I believe you are correct. But there is a very strong minority in this country, that has incredible power and their crusade against Muslims will not stop.

www.rawstory.com...

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

www.youtube.com...

www.isaintel.com...

It's a brave new world.....welcome to the monkey house.
edit on 5-5-2011 by whaaa because: chains and ivy

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You got the first star I have ever given. We are a melting pot, regardless of what some people want.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by The Sword

I believe you are correct. But there is a very strong minority in this country, that has incredible power and their crusade against Muslims will not stop.

Sure it will stop.

It will stop the day muslims stop trying to violently assimilate the world and decide to truly become the "religion of peace", letting everyone live and worship as they choose for themselves.

Becoming a muslim appeaser will not help that process. It will only guarantee that the radical muslim elements win in the end.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
reply to post by Misoir

You got the first star I have ever given. We are a melting pot, regardless of what some people want.

"Melting pot" ...

Research the difference between multi-ethnicity - the true meaning of the term "melting pot" where everyone assimilates and becomes an American - and multi-culturalism, where people stay in their own religious and ethnic groups. What, unfortunately, we are seeing now ...

They are absolutely NOT the same thing.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Ill admit it...... I dont like Muslims!!!!! I dont like Jews!!!!!! I dont like Christians!!!!!!!!!!

I dislike anyone who puts themselves in any sort of ISM!!!!

IsmISM, people putting themselves into some exclusive sub group based on political beliefs or what some imaginary father figure in the sky says is whats wrong with the world today.

While your post is lovely in theory I personally think its a bit exaggerated. Yeah big deal 6 Muslims fought in the civil war or war of independence, thousands of french and even more irish did as well, hell I bet there were representatives from most cultures who fought in those wars.

I personally dont see anything significant in the examples you gave of muslim achievements in early america, whoopy do some became farmers and prospecters, another one raised camels. I guess America just wouldnt be the country it is today without those contributions.

And as for the founding fathers extolling the virtues of Mohammedians its obvious to me they were reffering to it as a means of sheeple control.
And the countries who recognised the good ol US of A first, I doubt it had anything to do with their faith and alot more to do with their dislike of the British and possibly trade agreements of some kind.

But thats bring things up to speed and worry about whats relevant now (250 years is a long time and very little that happened that long ago has any bearing on reality today)

The"Muslims" your talking about from your polls would be as muslim as I am Christian. that is to say not very!!!!
Most "muslims" who live in Western countries today drink, engage in pre-marital sex, dont eat halal, own dogs etc etc they are culturally muslim and not religiously muslim and there is a massive difference between the 2.

The vast majority of the worlds 1.2 billion muslims live in 3rd world countries and the only education that most of them recieve is a religious one taught by extremist clerics in most cases, these clerics actively seek out these types of positions as young minds with very little to look forward to and without any other means of education are ripe for hate propaganda. Americans maybe shouldnt hate but they should be scared!!!

I dont think any intelligent people believe muslims had anything to do with 9-11, but most probably would have if they could have and its hard to blame them really. They wouldnt know to seperate the average american from American foreign policy.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Well put dude, I think if you move somewhere you adopt its culture and practices. If you eel the need to stick to your own by means of making sure your children marry into your particular brand of IsmISM, bringing old hatreds/rivalries, thinking your culture ways are better you shouldnt be allowed in.

BTW Im not an American Im Australian and I live in a Muslim majority culture and have every respect for it

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

PS: After studying names and surnames for more than a decade around the middle-east for archeological researches, I can assure you that "Francis Saba, and Joseph Saba" are Christians from Lebanon as for the rest you are right.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RedAmnesia

There's a song by Loudermilk, saying:
"..what was your Christian name California?"
As far as history recalls it was named as per Caliph...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

You know me well enough to understand that I am definitely not a fan of multiculturalism. It is a despicable idea which only perverts a society. Melting pot however was an amazing concept which began with the policies of Calvin Coolidge who limited immigration rates from South and Eastern Europe along with Asia so that we could assimilate the large influx of immigrants we already had in our lands. I am a personal fan of limiting immigration and know exactly where that should begin *hint* Mexico *hint*.

But this thread is not about supporting multiculturalism rather it is about showing how Muslims have done a very good job at blending into our society throughout history. We might have had some problems with Barbary Pirates early in our nation's history but that was not about religion they were pirates who attacked our ships to loot them for treasure. They were not trying to spread any religion or start any 'Jihads'.

I don't have a single problem with a multi-religious/ethnic/racial society but I do have a problem with a multicultural society. One nation, one culture. Every immigrant and child of an immigrant should do their best to assimilate into the native culture. I would not go to Saudi Arabia and expect to be treated different than the Saudis and I would not try to change anything there simply because I chose to go there and that was their lands, their faith, their laws, and their culture. Same thing goes for any immigrant from any country.

Unlike Western Europe the United States does not have a problem with Muslims and Muslim Immigrants. We were only attacked on 9/11 because we broke from the doctrine of our founding fathers. They were upset not because they "hated our freedoms" but because we actively supported Israel ("entangling alliances with none" - Thomas Jefferson) and having a military base in Saudi Arabia (remember NO EMPIRE). Had we adhered to the truth and wisdom our founding fathers left for us to follow their would have been no 9/11 or hostility towards our country.

If you don't remember before the 1950s the United States was generally loved throughout the Arab world and Islam was moderate (contrary to popular beliefs). The radicals only gained ground in the ME because of our presence where they could fuel hostility towards the West because we supported Israel when they were taking Palestinian lands. We set up a puppet in Iran. And we began to interfere with their part of the world instead of minding our own business. Islamic extremism was created through our obnoxious presence in the region.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join