It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland-area TriMet receives $1.2M from TSA for security upgrades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Portland-area TriMet receives $1.2M from TSA for security upgrades

findarticles.com...

TriMet announced today a $1.2 million grant from the Transportation Security Administration to install security cameras at 10 MAX stations and fund security improvements at other TriMet facilities..........Mike Irwin, Oregon Federal Security Director for the TSA, said the $1.2 million grant is the sixth awarded to TriMet.......
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/5/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: switched sources for better thread/article title

edit - seems the url isnt working, heres a retry - findarticles.com... Trimet gets TSA assistance
and just in case, same article different source - www.allbusiness.com... Trimet gets TSA assistance
edit on 5/5/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: tryin to fix link

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
heres another source and article about this situation

TriMet beefs up security, fare inspections after Osama bin Laden's death

www.oregonlive.com

If you’ve ridden a TriMet bus or MAX train this week, you may have noticed extra security and fare inspectors.

The transit agency and the Transportation Security Administration have teamed up this week to provide additional security in light of Osama bin Laden’s death Sunday, said TriMet spokeswoman Bekki Witt

video of TSA agents in uniform standing around observing the public in the heart of downtown portland pioneer square

www.youtube.com...

and old 2008 article about tsa providing funds to trimet for more security cameras,

trimet.org...

i personally spent 6 years of my life riding trimet on a daily bases between 2004 and 2010. i was so happy to break away from that dependency,

in that time i witnessed them make these changes, their fare prices skyrocketed and still continue too, despite the fact that around 80% of their riders are lower income family's, their profit margin must be HUGE because they have done nothing but EXPAND grossly, and this last year was when i noticed the cameras being implemented, they have always had cameras on their max rail (city train) which covers every corner inside the max, as well as on their buses, but now they have brand new cameras covering every corner of every one of their hundreds of max stops, they have even begun placing these cameras at their bus stops,

in all my years riding trimet i never seen the need for them to have more cameras, nothing but invasive police state tactics,

i have been stoped by the trimet supervisors multiple times to check my fare, and in the event that one of my friends didnt have a fare they would always search him, without asking permission, and these guys are not cops,

if they see you on your bicycle on their property even if its passing through a distant corner of what they own they will chase you down and threaten to fine you if not actualy fine you, for not walking the bicycle through their property, which is particularly outrageous considering how extremely bicycle friendly portland is,

all their fines for not having fare, riding a bike, or smoking a cigarette, on their property are hundreds of dollars, varying between 100-400$ based on what ive witnessed my friends fined with,

trimets control and authoritarian grasp has grown and grown, and now that they are putting tsa agents in uniform on their trains max's and buses, its about time we figure out where are we gonna draw the line?

they are meant to shuttle us about for a minimal charge, not scheme for a profit, and exercise authoritarian power stretching their invasive tactics to the max.

whats next, nude body scanners and feeling up 6 year olds?

how do we stop this?

www.oregonlive.com
edit on 5/5/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: add one more source

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
And so it begins...

Big Brother expanding his territory. At least they haven't started groping, I mean frisking, I mean groping...yet.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
This is how it started in the UK - next thing you know they're on every corner and the fines too - they're ripping people of to fill their shortfalls in funds while the real criminals just move on to another area where there aren't any cameras until eventually there isn't anywhere left without them.

They even started using cameras where they could talk to you too as in Middlesborough N.E. UK.

It's like the bloody KGB in Russia - Next thing you know we'll all be whispering to each other.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Yup, probably going to be as strict as airplane searches. Inspections will cause people to be late for work and other affairs and the fines, wow that's uncalled for.
Portland

for letting it happen, now it might catch on from the Transportation Security Administration influence and example.
edit on 5-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: more added

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
the title of my thread was just changed not by me, it had excluded the acronym TSA is this censorship to hide the letters TSA from the article title? or is there some rule im unaware of about keeping thread title as the title of source article?

i think its important to have TSA in the title so people are aware when they see the thread title that this is also alot about TSA

surely this is the reason TSA was not put into the title of the source article, so it would not get as much notice

i edited it back to put tsa back in there, once my edit time limit expires this may be undone
edit on 5/5/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

You're supposed to use the title of the article so it's easier for other to search for it before double-posting the same article.

Not that many people actually USE the search function.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
"So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

I think it's more like "Don't touch my junk!"

Or maybe "Please don't hit me with the club again!"
edit on 5-5-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Of course they're going to expand the t(errorist) s(tate) a(gency) from airports to public transport - they were running out of people to molest...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

is there another section of the site other then breakin news that i could put the thread into, one in which would allow the thread title to have tsa in it?

the only difference my thread title has to the source article is the location (portland oregon) and the letters TSA

the source article is local in oregon so they of course would not need to include the location, while ATS is international, and personaly i think their lack of including TSA in their thread title was indeed an attempt to gain less attention.

it is important to have TSA in the thread title, it is important, there are many people who will see TSA and click the thread for that reason alone, without TSA in the title i am positive this will get less attention

it saddens me that such a small yet important detail is "against the rules" if you type the source article title into the search this thread will still show up, despite the minor difference, so it seems the reason for it is succeeded.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
alright, i was able to find a new source article which had a better title, one which includes TSA and also Portland, so i have change the OP source article and attempted to change the thread title to be accurate to it,

however it doesnt seem to be taking the change to thread title, im not sure why, will keep tryin that one,

(edit - it appears to have stuck properly now,)

the first source/article i have added to my second post.
edit on 5/5/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
So here comes the next strategic prod, to see how far people are willing to be molested before they start getting pissed... I knew it would come to this, and will keep on getting worse till we do something about it!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

It's not the location, it the T&C. I think the mod who adjusted your title put a note in your OP.

ETA: Well, maybe they didn't this time. They usually do, though.
edit on 5-5-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

That notice says that, in February 2010, al Qaeda members discussed a plan to derail trains in the United States by placing obstructions on tracks, according to a source who received the notice.

Official: Bin Laden material shows threats to railways, key cities

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye

how do we stop this?

Boycott them. Find another way to get where you need to go. Portland is a youngish liberal city, act like it and refuse to do business with tyrants.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

theres a problem with that, i'd guess around 80% of their riders have no other option, taxi's cost 50 times the price and they have no vehicles, everybody i know who rides trimet do so out of necessity not desire. to get to work, to go grocery shopping , etc,

even my time riding trimet i did not have another option, doing the math i was able to figure i have paid trimet over 3grand, $3,000 to use their services for the time i did, keep in mind all i do is sit there while they drive their route, sure my body weight add's a fraction to the gas cost but not much, not 3 grand worth. that in mind now imagine how it feels when your trying to get on the bus to go home and they refuse to give you a ride because your one nickel short, 5 cents!, this has happened to me at least 3 times and my friends many times,

just shows you how insensitive they usually are to their riders

top topics

join