It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gout Thread!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Hi all fellow suffering people!

Any accounts of gout, causes, cures, debates?
What is pseudo-gout?

I had two attacks a few years back in my early 30's, with the typical signs - waking up in the night and it felt like somebody hit me on my foot with a sledgehammer.

My mum is in her early 60's and she complained about pains in her wrists when twisting the cleaning cloths dry for a while.

Now she woke up with a swollen wrist that looked just like my foot.
Badly swollen and hellish pain.

Can gout affect women and go into the wrist joint?
She's going to the doctor later, but I'm very worried.

edit on 5-5-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Doctors won't tell you this; Gout is totally related to dehydration. Stay out of the pop, booze, sport drinks, and vitamin drinks! Drink tap water instead. Any tap water is better for you than bottled water.

Unless you're live along the Mississippi or are experiencing heavy rains, the tap water will still have a measure of minerals to sustain the naturally occurring electrolysis as the water is moving through the pipes. This allows some of the water's molecular structure to be broken down enough to pass easier through cell membrane.

You'll notice the difference within 36 hours. Tank up!

www.umm.edu...

edit on 5-5-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

I read that some sites do actually name dehydration as a possible cause (amongst several).
However, largely, the lifestyle causes are debatable or unknown.
OK, some people have unhealthy lifestyles, but only a few get gout.
But others get gout and their lifestyles are fantastic and healthy.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The cure costs you nothing. That's why there are possibilities.

edit on 5-5-2011 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I had this problem maybe six or seven years ago. I was laid up from another accident at the time and couldn't move, and I was sitting around all day eating lots of the foods that give you gout. The result of course was predictable. At first I thought somehow I sprained my toe; later I learned what it was. It feels exactly like a sprain, which is the weirdest thing about it. The doctor at the time couldn't really do anything for me and eventually it simply went away of its own accord. I live in dread of its return.

One thing you might look into is ultrasonic therapy of some kind. I'm no doctor so I can't really tell you if its effective but it might be worth looking into. The same kind of therapy they use sometimes with kidney stones.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

Well, one source may say drinking water is a cure, but I don't think so.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I researched this for a family member lately. I found that high fructose corn syrup is said a major current cause for the inflammation. More women are experiencing gout than ever before- connection to sodas? fructose poses risk

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Do orange sodas like Fanta have that?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
A more light-hearted approach:
American humor?
Tom gets the Gout:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
The medical knowledge 101:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

This Fanta ingredient site, shows ingredients of the sodas, the US version has it.
Most all US sodas have it, unless you buy the "old time" flavors with real cane sugar or specialty sodas(ex. Jones Soda).

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Suffered from gout in my 20's and 30's. Also known as gouty arthritis. Basic cause is excess purines in the blood, treatment is allopurinol. Big list of stuff NOT to eat: organ meats, meat juice, alcohol/wine, white bread, mushrooms - all kinds of weird stuff. I find that the arthritic pain in the lower extremeties is exacerbated during the xmas holidays when I tend to indulge in champagne. For a week or so around New Years Eve I expect a visit from mr. gout which is cured by doubling my intake of "pure" (not chlorinated or flourided) water and strictly eating "right" for about a week. My purine levels never approach abnormal "gouty" levels, I'm vigilant about pain management.

I'll also state that eating is a huge factor. Here in Texas a lot of folks' idea of eating right is a Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes, gravy and pinto beans - or some corn tortillas made with lard, refried beans, spicy meat and rice smothered in cheese or chili gravy - other regions have their colloquial wisdom when it comes to "eating right". Green salad, grilled meats (no juice) and simple vegetables go a long way towards avoiding gout symptoms - reducing the intake of sweets, grains, breads, etc. pretty much completes the regimen.

ganjoa

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well, mum came back from the doctor earlier and he doesn't think it's gout, but she's being treated with gout meds.
How weird is that???
Only the blood test will apparently reveal it tomorrow.
I think I've had gout and know when I see it, and it's not a sprain or a break.
So what the hell must it be?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CodeRed3D
Doctors won't tell you this; Gout is totally related to dehydration. Stay out of the pop, booze, sport drinks, and vitamin drinks! Drink tap water instead. Any tap water is better for you than bottled water.

Well, pop and sports drinks will cause water retention, if anything....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Fructose and hyperinsulinemia are probably the biggest contributors to gout. Both play vital roles in inhibiting uric acid excretion and fructose actually increases uric acid production.

top topics

join