It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Ever since this whole Obama birth certificate and OBL's supposed "death" we have seen a huge influx of new members on ATS. Suddenly the most ridiculous threads are on the home page with top flags/replies/stars.

I am a huge fanatic of free speech and would never suggest that right be taken away from any member of ATS or the world for that matter, but come on....

The most recent one I replied to was in regards to a Spanish website about a Chinese scientist who says Aliens are coming behind a comet. And this thread is numero uno on the ATS home page.

Conspiracy theory's are just fine and dandy since that's what ATS is all about and anyone can post whatever they want within reasonable terms, but have all the other members here lost their minds? Have we all become SO engulfed with paranoia that every ridiculous claim that has no merit WHATSOEVER is to be believed simply because it reinforces our fears or desires?

What happened to the analytical dissection of these kinds of claims? What happened to our collective ability to determine the most probable scenarios based on limited data that ARE 'good' conspiracy theories? Where are all the skeptics? You know, the ones who keep things logical and down to earth and make us question everything in order to find truth? Seems they all disappeared

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

I see your point. I'm new, its my first night on here too, but not cause of Osamabama. But, um, those guys who posted that didn't do it as newbies. We have to post 20 things first, member? Before we can start a thread?

Plus escapism. Its popular. Fiction has always been a good way to do it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Tell me about it. I made this thread about a day ago. In the old days of ATS, people would have known instantly to look at the first letter of each sentence to understand. Even after I explained it myself in the thread, people are still not caring to look and replying to it seriously.

It's sad.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by siren8

You are correct. But think about why someone becomes a member to begin with. Most likely to reply to something they read while scowering the forums. Or in recent times, JUST to make ridiculous threads. 20 posts ain't hard to do. 20 posts does not make anyone an ATS master. Neither does 10 thousand for that matter. For instance, I have been a member for a few years now and have a very low amount of posts in comparison to some that have been members for the same amount of time. Why? Cause I enjoy reading more than writing. It's all about join date.

If someone joins yesterday and starts a ridiculous topic the same day, then their motive was clear.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
People are frustrated and willing to believe even the most outrageously bad "proof".

And the site is full of star-and-flag hoes.

It's a bad combination. But when the news dies down a little the site will, too, I think.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

I hope you're right cause I almost don't wanna even try to go through all the stupid threads to find anything with real value anymore. I mean hell, there were tons of OBL threads the day it happened and every single one had the same information on it. Same with Barry's BC. Just seems that ATS has begun to emulate MSM in that when a dumb issue comes up to mask a REAL issue, our members here eat it up and clog the boards with it.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
ATS hasn't really been the same since '05 or so.

Anytime something floods the news,ATS will be flooded as well.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

I've been lurking 12 months, posting for probably half of that and yeah, you're right, WHERE ARE THE FIRGGIN' DIALECTICS???

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Have been on and off ATS since it conception.

Different screen names email addresses etc,

Could not remember that stuff because of life issues.

But I always wandered back.

Most of the members here now probably were wearing diapers when this site was first started.

One thread I remember was started by a young man.

He was explaining how the Norway spiral was created.

Had diagrams and all.

Everybody starred and flagged him.

He was the smartest person here and members all were on baited breath to see what he posted next.

I argued with him that, that phenomena had been seen and photograph many times when rockets were fired in the upper atmosphere in the northern latitudes.

I even U2U'd him sites where it was discussed by NASA scientists

One day he posted into this thread that he was wrong about all the data and things like that.

It was a natural occurring phenomena when rockets are fired in to the Aurora.

Nobody read his apology.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
OMG the ATS home page has 8 threads on it regarding OBL.

Like I said, seems ATSers have bought all the crap info from MSM just so they can flood our boards with it

top topics

join