It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "official" Metallica thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
As for Dave getting booted out I'm cool with that. Sometimes even a person with talent just doesn't fit in. Football analogy. Steve Young didn't do anything in Tampa but went on to a Hall of Fame career in SF. How do you argue with Megadeth(another fav. band of mine)?

Different styles. Best of both worlds.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearMitochondria
Metallica is one of the biggest gateway bands to metal. Kirk's guitar playing drives me a bit nuts though; I don't think he ever plays without the wah pedal.

I have to agree with you, Metallica was the band that got me into metal. From them i branched off to other bay area thrash bands and then branched off into all the sub-genres of metal. I thank them for that but like said above they just aren't the same band that they were in their younger years which is understandable. Bands have to mature and with that their sound evolves too, sometimes not for the better in my opinion. I do agree with you on Kirk though, he overuses the wah way too much

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The official story was Dave was drinking too much and was kicked out for that. Here is a conversation between Dave and Lars during the filming of Some Kind of Monster...I think it was an out take though. This was pretty much the first conversation these 2 had had for years.

It gets pretty emotional to an extent. The irony of it all was Jason left the band because he wanted a little time off to work on his own project, and James said no. So Jason left. Yeah...he had been hazed for years because he was the new guy who replaced Cliff who was killed, but even according to Jason....Metallica was his family. Het was like his brother. Then...James left for months to go to rehab. They never gave Dave that chance. And he was now doing what he wouldn't let Jason do...take some time off.

One of them...I can't remember which said after James got sober...that this was now the Metallica Jason had wanted all along, but unfortunately he (Jason) almost had to be the sacrificial lamb to make that happen.

I just think it is amazing to have seen Jason as well as Dave in the last year playing with the band multiple times. Not for entire sets..but specific songs. 2 guitarists and 2 bass players!!!
Personally, I think Robert is a better player than Jason, but watch some of the videos from the last 4 shows in San Fran from Dec 7-10th during their 30th anniversary "party." When Jason is up there...even though Robert is too is just seems more natural for everyone else. Except for maybe Robert..lol.

I'd personally like to see more of them together. I wish they would bring Jason back. I think Dave has finally forgiven Lars and James for kicking him out, and it was cool to see him playing with them again...not just those 4 shows last month, but during a lot of their last tour when Megadeath was a part of it. I doubt Dave would fit in again...and the makers of the wah-wah pedal would go out of business is Kirk ever left the band, but it is cool to see him up there playing some of the old stuff again...especially since he wrote lots of it..and wasn't really given the full credit for it.

edit on 14-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Man, I just listened to Kill again. Awesome. Still not as good as Lightning though.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
If anyone hates, I will post something from Load just to piss people off!

Go ahead, as a lifelong fan of the band I'll admit I like Load. Very underrated album.

Papa Het is the reason I picked up a guitar and became a musician/songwriter. I got the St Anger scratch logo tattooed on me. My natural way of holding a guitar pick and standing playing guitar are exactly the same as his through no fault of my own nor through attempting to do so on purpose. Same with an old music teacher hearing me singing and proclaiming I sounded a little like him. Wasn't even trying to, it's how I sing.

They had a slogan on t-shirts and merch since the early 90s that says:

"Birth. School. Metallica. Death."

True indeed.

I also have my ticket paid for to see them at this year's Download festival. Last time I went was 2004 and Lars was ill so I never counted it as seeing Metallica with one of them missing.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

Originally posted by webpirate
If anyone hates, I will post something from Load just to piss people off!

Go ahead, as a lifelong fan of the band I'll admit I like Load. Very underrated album.

I also have my ticket paid for to see them at this year's Download festival. Last time I went was 2004 and Lars was ill so I never counted it as seeing Metallica with one of them missing.

I did mention I like both Load and Reload already. So don't mind if I do!!! As for already having the tickets to the Download festival...got an extra one???

Originally posted by intrepid
What a diverse fan base Metallica has. You've got the purists that listened to them when they came out and blew our socks off. Kill 'em, MoP, Justice but my fav is and always will be Ride the Lightning. No better grouping of Metallica songs on 1 album. And you COULD get albums back then:

As with all long tenured bands they eventually serve up a turd. St. Anger.
[

Well...The problem with St. Anger itself was they weren't really even there for the making of it. Jason had left. So Bob Rock played bass. Het then went to rehab. I personally like the song St. Anger and Frantic, but not the rest of the album. What can you do though? Occasionally a bad one will slip through.

This other one is for you though man....especially since I made fun of you for being Canadian the other day!

Was gonna use Bell but saw you had already posted it. Hope this makes us good again now!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I like the St Anger album too, it may not have been to everyone's taste but I see that as more of their therapy album. Plus as you said, James wasn't there a lot of the time, they were going through turmoil, Bob Rock was around but the snare sound got me.

People complained about it but I've heard other albums by them and other bands where the snare sounds the same as it does on the St Anger album. I also recognise that sound from college when the drummer couldn't be bothered to tighten the snare skin properly during rehearsals which none of us minded at all.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
They renamed and reworked "Shine" from the Death Magnetic sessions and released it on an EP called Beyond Magnetic.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I was in the mood for a little S&M tonight....so what better than Metallica. Here they are with nothing else matters....kind of surprised this song hasn't made it on the thread yet!

And since I know at least one person out there didn't know this song before now...here is another high def more recent version.

It's so high def you can see Kirks nose hairs! And he uses like 3 different guitars in the song too...lol

Although the chick at 2:43 in the second video with the pirate hat on might seem to matter....

edit on 20-2-2012 by webpirate because: additional thoughts

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I just realized this song isn't on here yet. It's a remake of a remake... but it's the video I especially like.

I've been to and thrown a couple of parties like this one...back in the day....

Metallica....for all your home make over needs!!!!

edit on 20-2-2012 by webpirate because: video edit

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
lol

I actually prefer Metallica's version of Whiskey In The Jar.

The Thin Lizzy version is classic sure but Metallica's sounds like a party tune and not a somewhat depressing and boring sounding folk tune.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join