It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we DO NOT want contact

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
So, like many ATSers, I'm pretty big into UFOs and their possible connections to aliens. And I've been thinking lately about what the consequences of contact with extraterrestrial life would be. This may also be reasons as to why we have not yet had disclosure (assuming there has been contact).

There are two possible scenarios of contact with an advanced extraterrestrial race, assuming that they want to, in any way, maintain a relationship with our civilization. If it's a quick meet-and-greet and we do not exchange technology and do not hear from them again, then these scenarios may not apply.

Scenario One: Contact with a benign alien race.

If an alien race wanted to begin a relationship with our civilization, the effects on the human race would be vastly negative. Our cultures would change forever, and the changes would more than likely be unwanted. Remember from history class, how the Europeans who traveled to North America changed the Native American culture forever? The Europeans acted benignly toward a lot of Native Americans, yet they were still seen as the enemy. This is because, with the coming of the Europeans, the Native American culture was being changed, and lost, in a negative way. Sure there were some Native Americans who accepted the change, and even became the Europeans' allies, which is what would probably happen in the event of benign contact, but the Native American culture, these days, is barely alive. The Native Americans themselves only make up a small portion of the population. This being due to the fact that those not welcome to the change resisted, and, consequently, were annihilated. Which would also probably happen in the event of benign contact.
Part of the cultural change was due to vastly superior technology. European technology was much more advanced than that of the Native Americans, and this technological "upgrade" was definitely a factor in the diminishing NA culture. If we were to begin relations with a benign alien race, which would most likely have superior technology (as, at the moment, we would be contacted, not doing the contacting.), their technology would devastate our cultures, and change our world forever. For some, that would be a welcome change. But quite honestly, I myself am fairly satisfied with the simple world we live in today.
In closing, to this scenario, it can only end badly for our culture. Contact would not be in the best interest of preserving the world, and everything we know/love about it.

Scenario Two: Contact with a malevolent race.

This scenario is a little bit more plausible than the first, because, quite frankly, if there is a race more technologically advanced than ours, they most likely won't be too friendly. And why should they be? They may not have morals like we do. They might think in a completely different way (think: no emotions, kinda like Vulcans). If they have the technological ability to get out of their star system, they will more than likely be hunting for new energy sources. On top of that, they may not want to deal with a race that has the possibility of giving them a fair fight in x amount of years. Considering the fact that we, as a race, have not yet matured to the point of where we don't constantly kill each other, the aliens would probably look down on us and wipe us out.
And they would have the technology to do so. Sorry to burst Hollywood's bubble of human pride, but science fiction movies about us standing a chance against an alien invasion are just that: science fiction.

Quite honestly, people, I do not believe that contact is in our best interest. However, since I'd love, just as much as anyone, to discover that aliens exist (despite all that I've posted above), I am hoping someone will come into this thread with some different scenarios, and show me that the glass is half full, rather than half empty.

-Fake

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
European contact with north america was hardly benign.

i don't think parallels can be drawn there.

culture change is not always a negative.....

on the second scenario, there would be no war because they most likely would be able to create a virus to wipe us all out before they land.

Contact would frigg everything up for a while though!!!
But i'm still willing

edit on 5-5-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Our culture lacks spiritual growth. If it's something a benign race can help us with, then why not embrace that? Or would you have those ambassadors crucified too?

Regardless, change (and not OBAMA-grade "change"
) can be very beneficial especially in these days, because we really need it.

An alien shock may be just what the doctor ordered to help us learn to "look up" again. Most humans are fixated on what they see at eye-level, making them blind.

Cheers.
edit on 5/5/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

Well, I doubt a society would come here for energy sources - considering the whole universe is filled with energy, and we even have ways to extract usable energy from the plenum hidden in black ops. Electrogravitics was an exciting field of study, offering overunity and antigravitry, but it went into black ops in late 1959, early 1960.

I imagine the "aliens" will know about plenum ("dark"/Zero Point/Radiant/orgone/...) energy.

And I think We are already in contact. The question is whether We all should know this.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
THERE IS ALWAYS pro and cons to everything. Does not matter if its Aliens coming or your mid morning crap and what news paper you should read.

Yes they could be benign and explorers or they could be hugely deadly aliens bent on world domination. If they are so technologically advanced then it stand a chance that they overcame the issues that we as a species are currently struggling with.

Think about it like this. If they have craft that can cover the massive distances (all inter-dimensional thoughts aside) from one star system to the next can you imagine how their society as a whole would have to contribute to make something like this possible. Working together for one common goal not the singular goals of many. I would assume that not only being technologically advanced, they would be advanced in every facet of their life.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
People who imagine contact with a malevolent alien race, imagine that contact from the perspective of a scarcity based society. You have to ask yourself what reason would an alien race be malevolent. If you use the comparison of Europe making contact with North America, what you have to realize is that the Native Americans had land and abundant resources that were scarce in Europe and thus worth taking and as you might imagine the more technically advanced society decimated the lesser one.

Two things that make me believe the malevolent contact idea is highly unlikely. First... If a civilization is technologically advanced enough to transverse intergalactic space, they most likely have reached a post scarcity reality. With just the technology we humans have on the horizon it is possible to imagine a post scarcity world. What motivation would an alien species have for travelling out into the universe other than peaceful ones, if they have all the resources they need.

Secondly even if this alien civilization was scarce on resources.... I imagine there are incredibly easier ways to get these resources rather than destroying an intelligently inhabited planet. There is enough raw material in the oort cloud to make 1000 earths. If these alien civilizations came to our solar system looking for resources they most likely wouldn't make it past the asteroid belt.

In conclusion, the idea that contact with an intelligent space faring civilization would somehow mean the end of our civilization is ludicrous. It is Hollywood driven imagining. When you think about it critically there is absolutely no logical reason for another civilization to wipe us out.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

Contact is a hostile world because 'they' have a vested interest in this world and that doesn't necessarily mean for our own benefit. From all of my experiences, even the benevolent ones I have found it difficult to truly trust any of them. They are warring against eachother and this planet and this solar system and maybe us.

We can't just blindly believe what 'they' tell us. Why would they be here in the first place if it wasn't for something they themselves are deeply interested in. We are NOT an evolved species. In fact we are the least evolved. Based on that alone I would think that it isn't the 'WE' that they are interested in but rather this planet and it's rich eco and species systems. If there is any interest in our non-Evolved species then it would be in the mysteries of our genetic code and blood types. Perhaps genetic God Code to prolong their lives or something. But I assure you, it is not to aid us in our survival. We are ourselves, hostile, aggresive, killers, selfish, power hungry and egocentric. We are primitive and run a world like a species with a reptilian brain. I hardly think they are interested in saving that.

They no more trust us than they trust their warring partners. Nothing is as it seems.

Our plante on the other hand, is absolutely stunning and glorious.

edit on 5-5-2011 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2011 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The trouble with these kinds of "what if" scenarios is that we can barely imagine a being that is physically alien, let alone psycho-socially alien. The best we can hope for is to make contingency plans based on things we do understand well, and hope they apply. While I doubt that aliens advanced enough to travel between stars will need us for energy, water or food, I can think of at least 2 other reasons why ultra-advanced aliens might come seeking contact with the native species of this planet:

1) Casual sex encounters

and

2) To covert us to their whack job alien religions.

You know what they say about human beings on the far side of the universe, right? They say that we are are so hot entire civilizations swear they'd cross the galaxy to nail one of us the first time, but there is no way they'd ever even cross a busy street for seconds or thirds.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
We've had positives and negatives accessing this planet since for many cycles, since its start, and all the inbetweens. The frequency and love we put out gives permissions for things to happen in our lives, in terms of negative or protection. If this planet had more Love, No Wars, and Equality, negative would not have the access it has now.

Just stand in love ,but don't turn away from what is, we need to know and see clearly, and especially release the technology and equalize the world.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Beneviolent contact...like when europe came over and slaughtered the natives of america. heh...

I think some of us are prepared for such an event...and some simply aren't. The key won't be in how well you adapt to their technological progress, but how you deal with coming back to our monkey beating sticks style economy and society. That would be the toughest to get around (like seeing heaven, then sent back to a craphole)

There isn't much history on a advanced culture coming to a primitive culture peacefully on earth, because typically the advanced culture was moving in with troops and swords prepared to take slaves, resources, etc..its simply our history.

A alien race coming to earth...well, simply put, we don't have anything here that is worthy..there is no resource on this planet that isn't out there a trillionfold just ready for the taking and in much higher quality...and without natives with pointy bits ready to defend it.

There is no slave class that could possibly compete with advanced robotics, nor any genius that could compete with a computer (even todays, much less alien tech)...

We have nothing, therefore, any contact would be, in my opinion, based on scientific curiousity, perhaps entertainment, and academia as the most likely senario. Not to say this is definately the case, but I find the idea of a maleviolent extraterrestrial race...too alien to seriously consider...its illogical and whats more, it doesn't "feel" right in my gut (for those running on emotion over reason).

However...keep in mind an advanced race may not be our idea of what "good" is...I do actually like Greer's explanation on this. If a tribal boy had a emergency issue with his heart...lets say he had only moments to live but was picked up by us advanced westerners...he would remember only these strange people grabbing him, bringing him to some strange place of lights and steel, knocking him out, him waking up later with a cracked open ribcage sewn shut and in alot of pain...to him, the doctors would seem like some evil SOBs, but the reality is that they just saved him...just an example as to how our perspective may be different than reality.

so ultimately, I disagree with you ops. although they shouldn't give us joyrides to their eutopia planet to see how kickarse their life is until we are accustom to such techs they consider norm there first...the return back to mundane here would perhaps be too shocking for many here to deal with.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
If they have been in contact with our government (for years), that is reason enough for me not to wanna meet them. Sure, all the "blue-pillers" of the world live in a world filled with entertainment, material goods, growing economy and random events all over the world dictating our poor leaders to make difficult decisions.
Guess what, YOU reading this probably took the red pill, and you know this to be utter and complete bullcrap. I would believe any intelligent race of aliens would recognize this world as a multi-polar totalitarian dictatorship, where everyone is enslaved in debt to a soon becoming world state.

Fact is, George Orwell couldn't make this society up in his wildest fantasy, a place where everybody abide by the ridiculous economic system, walking around with a camera in their own pocket, and willingly give out information about themselves on the Internet.
I guess Earth wouldn't be the first place such aliens saw such a system, and surely they would know what was going on. And still, they choose to be in contact and hidden cooperation with our governments?

No thank you Mr. Alien man, please go away.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Sorry everyone, I should have clarified when I said they would be hunting for energy sources. What I meant was, not the resources on our planet, but the only resource that would be truly valuable to a technologically advanced race. I'm talking of course, about our star. The sun. Sure there are millions of stars in the Milky Way alone, but if the aliens came across the sun and wanted to harvest its energy, why would they bother skipping over it just because of little old us?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisintel
You have to ask yourself what reason would an alien race be malevolent.

Sport... we might be one big Game Park to them... fortunately the current 'visitor's are only doing cows and the odd probings... but, there may be real Predators out there (or here already)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake Sure there are millions of stars in the Milky Way alone, but if the aliens came across the sun and wanted to harvest its energy, why would they bother skipping over it just because of little old us?

If they could harness the power of a sun, why come all the way to the outer rim (actually we are 50 LY above the rim) of a minor galaxy to pick on a relatively minor star?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
We could just be a water depot for an alien civilization on the way to a more important star system.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
and yea you better belive theres some bargain with these space faring aliens.
what ever its for. technology, perhaps training in the whole (0) mass theory.
( by the way i wish i could remeber where i got that from. somewere on history channel)
or maby the goverments of the world are working to help the better of mankind.
and some maby not so much.
and yea theres no way there just gonna pull this S H I T out there ass and go
" HAY GUYS WE FOUND ALIENS" "WERE ALSO TRADING TECHNOLOGY AND LETTING THEM LIVE WITH US!"
"OH AND BTW ELVIS SAIS HAI!!"

well thats just a playfull joke but you get the point.
if there gonna go about this.
there gonna do it real, REAL* slow.
leme paint a picture. the majority of humans who dont know. are like a civilian convoy in afghanistan.
and this alien situation. and how to go about it to make it public, is like an IED in the road.
you gota disarm that S H I T slow. carfull not to snip the red wire. and i it blows. Oooh boy if it blows.
make sure theres a less collateral as posible.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
If they could harness the power of a sun, why come all the way to the outer rim (actually we are 50 LY above the rim) of a minor galaxy to pick on a relatively minor star?

Well, They gotta check on their pet project now and then.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Ah.. farmers checking their 'crop'?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Ah.. farmers checking their 'crop'?

More like a scientist checking the isolated lab to see how the mice are doing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join