It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crappy economy, fraud everywhere, 3 wars...and GOP passes anti-abortion bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Really?

House passes sweeping GOP anti-abortion bill

The House voted 251-175 on Wednesday to pass the GOP's controversial anti-abortion measure H.R. 3, "The No Taxpayer Funding For Abortion Act." Sixteen Democrats joined 235 Republicans in approving it.

It now goes to the Senate, where it's all but certain to perish. The White House has threatened to veto it.

The legislation would eliminate tax deductions for employer-provided health insurance plans that cover abortion, effectively raising costs for businesses that offer abortion-inclusive health care to employees. It could also deny Medicaid-based abortion care to women even if their health may be harmed by carrying the pregnancy to term.

"This bill just simply helps codify what has de facto been our policy for 35 years through the Hyde amendment, and that is a policy that in no way shape or form outlaws abortion," said Republican Conference Chairman Jeb Hansarling (R-TX).

Democrats said it would harm small business and further restrict the private medical decisions of women

I mean come on. They know there's no way it passes the senate and are wasting their time on that while the banks are taking everything that's not nailed down, the FED is destroying the dollar, there's 3 wars going on, a 11% of GDP in deficit, pension funds bankrupted, the borders wide open, the TSA molesting people, etc... etc... etc...

What a waste of time. What about passing a AUDIT THE FED bill instead? Or END THE WARS RIGHT NOW bill? Or STOP THE BANK FRAUD bill? I don't know... something useful?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This must be some of that "smaller" govt. repubs ran on, talk about your hypocracy.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
at least they have their priorities straight

end sarcasm

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
proof that most, if not all, gop are ignorant christians

what's next? reinstall slavery?

edit: i do believe i heard the head of planned parent hood say that no federal money was used for abortions on NPR a few weeks ago.
edit on 4-5-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

double edit: this is why i cannot vote for any republican (not that it matters, har har)

+1 more 
posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I think it's also important to point out that the GOP is effectively waging a war on women.

This bill would implement "Rape audits" by the IRS. If a woman had to abort her child because of incest/rape/danger to the mother and she was audited by the IRS, she would have to prove to the government that she was in fact raped.

I can't even believe how humiliating and utterly demoralizing that would be to a woman who lost a child or was physically violated and had to carry out such a serious procedure.

I'm glad the GOP is really focused on making jobs right now.

Both economic conservative Grover Norquist and the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce noted that the bill is basically a tax increase.

Essentially, the bill turns Internal Revenue Service agents into “abortion cops” who would force women to give “contemporaneous written documentation” that it was “incest, or rape, or [her] life was in danger” that compelled an abortion.

Link

The utter insanity is almost incomprehensible. Thank God there is no way Democrats or the President would ever allow this bill to become law.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I love watching the Tea Party cancerous tumor eat the GOP alive.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

Are you really comparing eliminating tax deductions for employer provided health-insurance plans which cover abortion and halting Medicaid from funding abortions to reinstating slavery? There is a big difference between cutting tax breaks for killing an unborn child and owning people as property. Maybe that is just me...

+5 more 
posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I think this pretty much sums up the GOP mentality at the moment:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
edit: i do believe i heard the head of planned parent hood say that no federal money was used for abortions on NPR a few weeks ago.

double edit: this is why i cannot vote for any republican (not that it matters, har har)

This is true. It's called the Hyde Amendment. The Hyde Amendment isn't a true amendment and it isn't permanent law. It is attached to appropriations bills on a yearly basis as a "policy rider". It's been attached every year since 1976 so it doesn't have a big problem passing.

This bill is different because it bans tax credits and deductions. When Americans file their taxes they can deduct medical expenses after a certain amount (I believe it is $6,000). This means that when a woman files her taxes and deducts medical expenses, the IRS abortion agents could audit her and demand she prove that she was raped.

The Federal government isn't directly paying for the abortion (I believe) because it's actually a deduction and not a grant - but I could be wrong.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

what i was saying was that the gop is going backwards in time!

they cant accept gays, they wont let women decide what to do to their own bodies, and they're all christian!

21st century gop, get with it.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
proof that most, if not all, gop are ignorant christians

what's next? reinstall slavery?

The democrats were in power in the south in the 1860s.
Looks like your the ignorant one after all.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
so let me get this straight?

tax dollars should be going to fund abortion? sorry no it shouldnt.

explain to me the reasoning behind killing potential taxpayers?

agreed tho we do have bigger fish to fry but every dollar counts like the over 3 trillion we spend on entitlements

and the federal reserve which i agree with.

ALL GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES NEED TO BE cut across the boards.

and please this aint a right and left issue its about the survivial as this nation as a whole.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

i dont think you got what i was saying

Originally posted by neo96
so let me get this straight?

tax dollars should be going to fund abortion? sorry no it shouldnt.

explain to me the reasoning behind killing potential taxpayers?

agreed tho we do have bigger fish to fry but every dollar counts like the over 3 trillion we spend on entitlements

and the federal reserve which i agree with.

ALL GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIES NEED TO BE cut across the boards.

and please this aint a right and left issue its about the survivial as this nation as a whole.

i agree that we need to cut spending, but not like this. also we cant view others as merely taxpayers. btw the fetuses that are abort-able are NOT alive.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

I think abortion is one of those few issues where people choosing government intervention does not equate with statism. It is a moral issue, for some it is comparable to out-right murder, would you call someone ignorant for opposing murder? Because for many that is how abortion is viewed. I however think the issue should be left for the states to decide.

Plus I love how you call all these Republicans as ignorant then bring the issue of Christianity into the equation. How is it not ignorant that you generalize Christians? I am a Christian and an extreme social conservative but I believe people should be free to live however they want so long as they do not harm another persons' property or being.

Generalizing is the epitome of ignorance.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by vjr1113

Are you really comparing eliminating tax deductions for employer provided health-insurance plans which cover abortion and halting Medicaid from funding abortions to reinstating slavery? There is a big difference between cutting tax breaks for killing an unborn child and owning people as property. Maybe that is just me...

Well...it's a stretch. But think about it this way: If there are fewer abortions, there are more babies to grow into the next generation of more adults. If there are more adults in the next generation, there is a larger pool of workers, allowing employers to pay less. Being paid less requires people to work more to make ends meet...so people end up becoming slaves to the (insert new currency here, as the dollar will be dead soon).

It's twisted, I know, but I can kind of see it. Guess it's a good thing I'm not one of the crazy people in charge of anything...I would totally come up with weird ways to screw up people's lives.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko

The Federal government isn't directly paying for the abortion (I believe) because it's actually a deduction and not a grant - but I could be wrong.

Technically, you are right. Instead of taxes going towards abortion services, there are less tax revenues coming in to the government because said abortion services were deducted from income thereby lessening the taxpayer's tax bill.

Essentially, the GOP is trying to RAISE TAXES on people who are pro-choice. This is not a fair piece of legislation.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is what they do. They spend lots of time, energy and breath throwing bones to social conservatives. This is your 'limited govt', from the party of deficit spending.

The fact that people STILL buy the 'fiscal restraint' mantra blows my mind.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

you believe fetuses before the second trimester are alive right?

that's what ALL if not most christians believe. so what if i call out christians? im not gonna censor myself because you have imaginary friends. fetuses before the second trimester are NOT ALIVE. so it is not murder

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

It's not generalizing Christians when it is a fact that the vast majority, if not all, Republicans are Christian. Therefore, it is very reasonable to question the extremity of these particular Christians' actions.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

sorry but government does not and should not legislate morality.

and come on man as far as the government is concerned your either a taxpayer or a tax recipient and if you still dont want to buy that your just a "vote" to them.

the last thing anyone in this country is

is a person

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join