It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush calls Chinas president Hu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Today George bush telephoned president Hu of china to talk about Taiwan and other matters. bush told Hu that he wants to do everything to solve this issue with Taiwan peacefully and diplomatically and Hu agreed. however bush also told him that he remains firm thta if china uses military force the US would give Taiwan weapons to defend themselves, Hu told bush that he is not happy with the US selling Taiwan sophisticate weaponry systems. To sum it up they talked about a lot of things but really got nowhere.

US President George W. Bush on Friday telephoned Chinese President Hu Jintao to discuss tensions with Taiwan and the North Korean nuclear crisis, said White House spokesman Scott McClellan.

The two leaders "reaffirmed their commitment to work together on the issue of North Korea and their nuclear weapons program," the spokesman said as Bush traveled here for a stop on his reelection campaign.

And Bush told Hu that US policy towards Taiwan "remains the same," based on the "one-China" policy but also on US legislation that requires Washington to provide Taipei with weaponry for self-defense, McClellan said.

Hu said China would "exert its utmost efforts with its utmost sincerity to resolve the Taiwan issue by peaceful means", the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

However, Beijing would never tolerate "the independence of Taiwan," Hu added.

The Chinese leader also reiterated China's opposition to US sales of sophisticated weapons to Taiwan, saying that the current situation across the Taiwan Strait was very sensitive.

Washington urged Beijing and Taipei earlier this month to ensure that military exercises they are conducting this month are not provocative and do not add to cross-strait tension.

Bush calls president Hu

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Seems pretty clear to me. The US will help Taiwan in the avent of Chinese agression towards it. Ive said it before and Ill say it again: All this schoolyard bully/posturing attitude the Chinese have taken is having the opposite effect. They will almost force the Taiwanese into declaring independance.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
That is true. The chance of China taking Taiwan over peacefullly and/or diplomatically is minuscule. Taiwan's economy is one of the biggest in Asia, they have the resources to fight the war China for quite a long time. They are now buying weapons from Europe and the US and it is making Taiwan very difficult for China to invade.

The longer the China waits, the smaller the military gap between the two countries. Taiwan's air force is improved and it is exceeding China's air force. China's air force is large but dull, while Taiwan's is smaller but more effective due to better early warning system and coordination gotten from the world.

If i were China, i would attack now. The longer i wait, the more damage would be done on me.

China is not very credible with things it says. They are alll talks, no actions.
China is a paper tiger

[edit on 30-7-2004 by jazzmaster]

D

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Well, at least Hu is talking to Bush. And Hu and much of his administration seem to be able to talk politics now instead of spewing Communist rhetoric like the old Chinese President.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I think the longer Taiwan waits to declare its independence the worse for it. In 30 years, China's economic will only be comparable to the United States and it will be able to take those islands back and no one will be able to a damn thing about it.

just a thought,
drfunk

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
People understand that the leader of the nations in this world does not want to go to war, only bush wants to fight everybody.

Wars are expensive and they will drain any nation�s economy and their manpower wars are not just something you just wake up one day and decided to do. Only bush do that.

So any leader of a nation will think twice before submitting their country and their citizens into a long commitment of war. Only bush do this.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Talks are good. Are both sides going to emphasize there strengths? Of course, but China's economy is building and alot of the growth comes from companies in the US, as a result of the trade policies initiated by President Clinton.

This is one thing that the former President did that I agree with, China now has
economic ties to the US which weigh heavily when negotiating in tough situations such as Taiwan.

Does either country want armed conflict? No, but neither will show weakness when discussing this issue.

All in all it is a welcome sight to see our leaders practicing diplomacy.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I think the longer Taiwan waits to declare its independence the worse for it. In 30 years, China's economic will only be comparable to the United States and it will be able to take those islands back and no one will be able to a damn thing about it.

30 years Chinas economy might be as strong as the US but do you know how the US military will look in 30 years can you say Star Wars. I think china will attack by 2008 but not in 30 years way to long. Also Taiwan is building up and getting good tech from the US, so the longer china waits the more advanced and harder to invade Taiwan gets.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
it is true the US military equipment is superior to China's. But if we look 30 years down the track, globally the difference migh not be as large. And I would not preach star wars because a nuclear weapon detonated in the atmosphere puts an end to any space based weaponry. If you are talking about the US and Australian son of star wars anti-ballistic missile project, these missiles that cost a fortune to develop will most likely be useless due to the increasing speeds and complexity of successive generations of ICBM's.

I think that US superiority in the military can't be kept for long as other economies catch up to the US's. Even the US cant afford to keep spending what they do on the military, and as a result the Americans will owe the rest of the world more money than ever. Which nation in the world has the largest foreign debt? it isnt a poverty stricken african nation, its the united states of america.

thanks,
drfunk

top topics

join