It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Members Read--We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Dont you think by closing threads and getting people to search for pre-existing topics defeats the object of having a forum? It will discourage people from engaging in discussions and starting their own threads?

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by youwillneverknow

Not at all.

Having all relative information in one thread is a much better way of providing information than having tidbits spread out accross mulitple threads.

Duplicate topics are un-necessary and they may draw entirely different conversations. We are best served keeping everything together.

Now if you have new information on a topic that is relevant and has enough substance to warrant a thread of it's own, then fine, by all means create it.

But in most cases, duplicate threads are exactly that, duplicates and are not necessary.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by youwillneverknow

Not at all.

Having all relative information in one thread is a much better way of providing information than having tidbits spread out accross mulitple threads.

Duplicate topics are un-necessary and they may draw entirely different conversations. We are best served keeping everything together.

Now if you have new information on a topic that is relevant and has enough substance to warrant a thread of it's own, then fine, by all means create it.

But in most cases, duplicate threads are exactly that, duplicates and are not necessary.

~Tenth

Ok point taken :-)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I have searched for my question to no avail. Is there a view last unread post in a thread feature? Its difficult to keep up with a thread when you can't find where you left off.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dudeman351

No.

This feature typical of many "stock" discussion boards is impractical for ATS. Our scale and traffic is well beyond a typical discussion board, making that level of granular use-pattern retention a strain on back-end services.

However...

Even before we became a very high-traffic website, the primary reasons I originally disabled that feature was out of concern for member privacy, and the concern that we might receive law enforcement requests for a member's browsing history. If we don't have it, we can't be compelled to give it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thank you for the quick answer.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
One common feature on other sites which I've always wished ATS had was the ability to sort by date (of last post or thread start, whatever). Particularly when discovering something that I think is new and having to sort through years of posts speaking to related things, only to find something posted 2 weeks prior. Or when trying to find the most current, evolved and up to date information on a topic. I suspect there's a reason behind this, but just curious as to why?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join