It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looters, flimflam men plague tornado-torn South

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Looters, flimflam men plague tornado-torn South

news.yahoo.com

APISON, Tenn. – The crooks walked up to Kenneth Carter's tornado-damaged property with the purposeful air of relief workers in need of an all-terrain vehicle like the one he had parked out back.

"They said, `Excuse us, we've got to get this four-wheeler out of here,'" said the 74-year-old Apison resident. "I said, `I don't think so — that four-wheeler belongs to me!"

Carter avoided becoming a victim, but authorities say the South has been plagued by a variety of swindles since the twister outbreak last week that ripped apart houses and killed 329 people in seven states. Loote
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think this is going to be the normal for this country.With the failing economy wars on different fronts,more and more dangerous and destructive natural disasters.

There is no way we can even begin to rebuild the southern U.S.
And with the upcoming hurricane season t may become even more far worse than any of us can even begin to understand.

I think that the Southern states will become somewhat a de-militarized zones occupied by military forces to maintain order.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What do you wanna bet that someone is going to get shot trying this with a homeowner, and the homeowner is going to be pasted all over as "the bad guy"?

This is ridiculous and we should be ashamed at how low we have gotten!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I can't help, but to be reminded of the thoughts I had while watching all of the videos coming out of Japan in the last couple months. Personally, I did not see or hear of any looting there. Here in the good ol' U.S. of A, it is guaranteed to occur.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I'm trying to fathom the level of desperation involved with looting a tornado ravaged area. What exactly would you steal? "Grab those doors, that piece of a baby stroller, and.... does that t.v. still have glass in it!? GET IT!!!"

Holy hell. I foresee a lot of trespass related shootings in the future.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Yup and what he really did was try to protect what he has,as the summer grows it will get even worse

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
I can't help, but to be reminded of the thoughts I had while watching all of the videos coming out of Japan in the last couple months. Personally, I did not see or hear of any looting there. Here in the good ol' U.S. of A, it is guaranteed to occur.

Guaranteed indeed.

edit on 4-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ahh just like the carpetbaggers after the War of Northern Aggression.

We've come back from much worse.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
...more dangerous and destructive natural disasters.

I love the shortsighted outlook we all have. More dangerous and more destructive are relative to what we have all experienced. But these are not some freak forms of nature that are new.

There is no way we can even begin to rebuild the southern U.S.
And with the upcoming hurricane season t may become even more far worse than any of us can even begin to understand.

Just like the past years right where the experts claimed to be the "worst" seasons yet? Which all fell flat on their face. Weather prediction is more art than science.

I think that the Southern states will become somewhat a de-militarized zones occupied by military forces to maintain order.

I understand you are a half-empty type of person. That much is evident. I also understand your bleak outlook because of economy and such, but really...there will be looters or some idiots that will always take a situation and bend it to their ways.

It should be more reassuring to see these areas not crying out to the rest of the country and they are gathering together and picking themselves up by themselves and with the help of the community. That alone gives me hope for that ravaged area that they are strong and will recuperate just fine.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I love the shortsighted outlook we all have. More dangerous and more destructive are relative to what we have all experienced. But these are not some freak forms of nature that are new

I did survive Katrina in 2005 lost family and everything we owned.I was raised in New Orleans and now first hand what the city is and was like after a natural disaster.And I know First hand that it's hard to survive with law enforcement and double without it.So actually i have seen the worst of society first hand.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Even the Yakuza where some of the first out getting supplies to people and even using their helicopters for rescue. I Don't think we will ever see the bloods the crips or any american mafia doing any of that for us here. America likes to say it's a country that pulls together after tragedies, and we do a little bit, but nothing compared to Japan and some other countries.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

There was a looter that was shot and killed in my area because he tried to loot a store after curfew thinking the owner was gone. When the power was out and all we had was a radio, a city official said right out: "Home and business owners have a right to protect their property." As it should be!

There were reports that in the Cullman area people were walking around torn up areas with garbage bags, sifting through the rubble of other peoples places.

ETA:
A personal experience for me: I work at a hotel in the area and had some locals already living with us. We were trying to work with people about getting their rents paid (unable to use cards or ATMS b/c our power was out from Wed night to Sun afternoon) and the like (it was my boss that said we still had to collect rent, don't blast me!) just screwing us over. People are taking every advantage they can get.

edit on 4-5-2011 by angrymomma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Where did you get that Yakuza story I would love to read that

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

There were reports that in the Cullman area people were walking around torn up areas with garbage bags, sifting through the rubble of other peoples places

Thats a different thing then going into a home or business that is occupied.That would be more of a type of scavenging than looting do you agree

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

just goes to show ya how sick and diseased this country is,japan didnt act like this,but hey,when u get desperate u gotta do desperate things,but something tells me they use it as an excuse to exploit people

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

I just lump it in the same category because it's still people taking things that do not belong to them.

I guess I'm just trying to say stealing is stealing. Sometimes I'm terrible with words >.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Even the Yakuza where some of the first out getting supplies to people and even using their helicopters for rescue. I Don't think we will ever see the bloods the crips or any american mafia doing any of that for us here. America likes to say it's a country that pulls together after tragedies, and we do a little bit, but nothing compared to Japan and some other countries.

Another thing: True criminal organizations keep the people they are around happy, build playgrounds and fund positive community movements. Why would someone turn on someone who helped pay for a new school building?

Works for the Mexican Cartels

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

True, but you also have to look a the history of the Yakuza, they where the "Losers" (thats what Yakuza means in Japanese) of society, the lowest class system. They sold shotty goods on the side of the road. Could this not also be another way of them to try and get more acceptance from the Japanese society?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

Japan?? are you kidding? in japan there was looting, countless rapes in shelters.. i'll go grab a link
LINK. first 2 minutes are store owners returning to their site while people are actually coming/going back for more.
Fast forward to 2 minutes for the hard core evidence japan does NOT want anyone to know about!
(No Looting & Rapes in Japan after Tsunami Quake is a MYTH 1/3)

edit on 4-5-2011 by steven704 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join