It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you pick up hitchhikers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I've been in situations in my life where I needed to hitchhike and was always very thankful when someone stopped. Since my younger years when I was down and out, I've been blessed in certain ways and try to return the favor.

I was just driving on the interstate in good ole north carolina and picked up one. A black guy who had a cast on his leg and just got out of the hospital from an accident. Said he was out there for 5 hours and noone stopped. He is an ex marine. He said he heard "Get a job N**GER" about 20 times. I drove him like 30 miles to his house and he ended up giving me 100 bucks when I got there even though I tried to refuse.

I'm not trying to make myself seem like an angel or anything. Just wondering if people go out of their way to pick up hitchhikers, or are you scared of them?
edit on 4-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well, to be honest, I feel for hitchhikers. It was all because of one fateful day that changed my view of hitchhikers forever.

One night, when my car was in the repair shop, I really wanted to leave the house so I started walking towards my destination, 20 miles away.

At first I was all gung ho, and just wanted to walk. After 10 miles I was desperate for a ride. No ride. I ended up walking the full 20 miles, which was actually quite accomplishing.

Now whenever I drive that one stretch of road and see a hitchhiker, depending on what they look like I will give then a ride. It all depends on how well they are projecting themselves.

Picking up hitchhikers is not for everyone. It really is all about the luck of the draw, as there are some truly shady characters who hitchhike. But a lot of the time it is a cool hippie who has some interesting stories to share.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I am a single, young woman who has been raised not to pick up hitchhikers, no matter what.
Glad you had a positive experience and that you try to put that good karma out there. We need more of that these days
edit on 4-5-2011 by redNyx because: more info

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
i have, but it's more on my terms. If there is room in the truck, if my dogs aren't with me, if i'm in no rush etc.

the last time i picked one up, he told me "i can tell you really like music, if i cut your arm i'd guess musical notes would come out"

I informed him that this was his stop

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
i have, but it's more on my terms. If there is room in the truck, if my dogs aren't with me, if i'm in no rush etc.

the last time i picked one up, he told me "i can tell you really like music, if i cut your arm i'd guess musical notes would come out"

I informed him that this was his stop

wow that is wierd lol

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
This is my grandmothers favorite topic. She hitched in Alaska to see me when I was born, and loves to talk about the crazy hippies that gave her a ride to the base.
I myself would, if hubby would let me, which is stupid because he does. He has probably picked up 10 or so since we've been together and has had nothing but good experiences. We even still get a card at Christmas from an elderly man who had run out of gas!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
When I lived in Colorado, I worked for the mountain which was 35 miles away from where I lived. I had no car. I used to hitchike every day to get to work. The wierdest time was when my boss picked me up, stopped at his house, and started smoking bong rips at 5:30 am before work.

I stop for anybody who is not throwing out the creepy vibe, but I also keep a pistol handy just in case.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
yep and then ask so...how far ya THINK yer goin? ill pick anyone up and always get a good feeling i wasnt the one who had to hitch

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

When I owned a car.....from time to time....I would pick up hitchhikers...they were always polite and grateful.

Also when I was younger and in a really tough situation....I was hitch-hiking from California state to Washington state....and when I had reached Oregon I was tired and weary...my ride from CA had ended and I was on the road hitching again....this man stopped in a royal blue VW bug ...(he looked like a painting of Jesus I had seen once)...he drove me to a motel...paid for a room for the night...gave me the receipt...the key to the room...and money for food...he then said he had to leave...and to remember...that Jesus loved me...I have never forgotten his kindness.

As I look back on it...I was fortunate because the hitchhikers I once picked up...and/or...the rides I once accepted as a hitchhiker myself...well....I could have been robbed, beaten, assaulted or murdered. I think my Guardian Angel was working overtime...at those times.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Absolutely not, simply isn't worth the risk. Granted, there are some circumstances that could possibly make me change my mind, but for the most part, no. It's simply a much different world these days, and I can't risk my life or my loved ones that way.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Yeah, I do, I always do, but you have to understand that I live in a very small place and everyone is either a distant relative or a known quantity. Those rare folk from somewhere else, well...... I give them a ride too, and it seems like they're almost always more leery of me than me of them. Must be my bald head and crazy grin. I would scare me too.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Most of the times I have been in a position to pick up a hitch hiker I could have lost my job (work vehicles) so tbh I always drove past, but I have been picked up before and it was a huge favour, once I had a puncture on my bike up on the moors (age about 17) and the weather looked like it might change, a guy dropped me into town and gave me some change for the phone, great guy but going just by looks you would not have thought so, scruffy driving his transit van erratically but the guy was hilarious (a real toker for those who are in the know), so that was really cool.

Another time a taxi driver saw me staggering home very drunk from town, I can't remember if I did have my thumb out or what, but got a free ride the last 3 miles, I think he remembered me from a previous fare and it was sort of on his way home any way.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I have picked up hitchhikers, but I was sure to have one of my weapons accessibly close and concealed. I have a good heart, but I'm not going to make myself an easy prey victim in this day and age.

I would highly suggest that no woman should ever pick up a hitchhiker! You wouldn't let a strange man into your home, so don't let a strange man into your car.

edit on 7/1/11 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I normally don't but there was one time that I did. I was driving from Oklahoma City back down into Texas. Not too far south of Norman the weather was nasty. Tornado warnings for nearly every county all the way down into Texas. Just in front of me I could see this nasty huge black wall of a storm and on the road was this black male in his 20s. He wasn't even asking for a ride as far as I remember. He was just walking into the storm. Normally I wouldn't have stopped but I looked up ahead at the storm. I thought of the lightning, rain, hail and even tornadoes that were in it. I couldn't just drive by. I stopped. I just couldn't comprehend anyone wanting to be in that situation and I knew he needed help.

When I asked him where he was headed he said "Altus" which was over 100 miles away. I let him in and he said he was trying to get out of Oklahoma City where he was in a bad situation and that he had family in Altus. He gave me $5 for gas which was all he had. It was an extra 100 miles for me to go that way, but watching him bound up the apartment stairs where I dropped him off was worth it to me. I don't know how he would have done without help. We went though some nasty weather on the way there. Really bad stuff where you could barely see the road.

Normally no, but if the situation seems appropriate then I would.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The one and only time I went hitchhikeing.
we could not get any one to stop.
and it was a 40 mile walk.
when two police cars with guns stop't us we found out why.
a gun man was on the lose. he had killed
a cop and some people.
this is england. never did it again.
if you walk a long way dont stop for a rest.
the pain is unbelevable when you start again.

top topics

join