It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the average Joe go along with all the lies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
In this thread I would like to about what people are talking about on a day-to-day basis, and why. Not ATS'ers, but the general public.

Many, including myself, wonder how/why it is that the people they meet with every day (co-workers, family, friends, strangers, whom have you), are buying into the line fed them by the MSM.

An example, the last couple of days at work people were discussing OBL's death (of course); "Are they going to release a photo? No that will stir unrest in the Muslim world."; "I heard they buried him at sea so terrorists wouldn't build a shrine to him."; "I'm so glad we finally got him!" And so on, anyway I'm sure you have all heard similar and much much more.

Why is this?

The news is on and in our face 24/7. We have access to social networking which allows us to see real-time updates from everyone we know, wherever they happen to be, and whatever they happen to be engaged in. Every time an 'event' occurs (no matter the magnitude or actual importance), people get on their phones or computers and tweet about it, or post it on facebook, maybe even a youtube video.

Now, no one wants to appear disinteresting or 'out-of-the-loop'. We all want to be first to get the scoop on things. It's incredibly easy to get the mainstream scoop and not so easy to formulate your own, unique, views on things happening.

Everyone wants to be a part of what's going on around them and if they had to take the time to dig up the real news, the substantive 'nitty-gritty' of the world's goings-on...they would fall behind and have nothing with which to talk about with their friends and aquaintances. This is the only explanation I can come up with for this behavior.

The only other option I can think of is that they actually believe all they are being told, and that is too much for me to stomach.

Am I way off here?

--------------------

p.s. I readily admit to being biased against Facebook and the like. I believe such social networking is destroying peoples' attention spans.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

My answer is simple... if the vast majority of people didn't believe what they were told the world would not be in the screwed up state that it is in.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
because people who believe in alternative stories, conspiracy theories generally anything that hasn't come from the mouths of the MSM and TPTB are scrutinized against, made to look stupid and wrong.

People don't like that. So you feel more accepted to become part of the "herd".

I think all news and media outlets should be treated the same, as nothing is completely true now a days.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

They are scared of the outcome if the lies are true. Simply put that is reason number one in my book

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I can only assume it is because the average IQ if far lower than you would believe. Why does advertising work so well?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I think its more about the fact that the media promotes fear and hatred.

Stories like this are repeated over and over in different versions with updates for weeks at a time.

Yay we got him!! Ok great...get over it.... But we can't get over it... you turn on your TV or cpu and there it is.

Its social brainwashing...

"we got the guy we hate so much, everyone celebrate!!"

"theres a flood/tsunami in japan, everyone get ready because we could be next!"

I mean we're still hearing about the japan situation in the news.. FFS!!

Fear keeps you hiding, and not questioning.... Hate makes you believe the innitial problem was correct...

Both are products of the media...

With liberty and justice for none... Lisa Simpson

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i believe that programs like MKULTRA and others like it were wildly successful beyond any of our imaginations, and that the entire general public is in some sort of mind-controlled hypnotized state...when we refer to people "waking up", it is not just a figure of speech, because to see the truth you must literally "wake up" from this state of borderline hypnosis...most people have no chance of believing the truth simply because their minds cannot fathom how horrible it actually is...
edit on 5/4/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think that for alot of people it just boils down to the belief that people are all pretty much the same; that we really aren't all that different from anybody else. They don't usually think along the lines of conspiracies and cover-ups because they just don't think that way themselves. They have trouble accepting the fact that, yes, there really are people in the world who want to control the lives of others and have the means and compunction to do so, because they just don't feel that need themselves.

Our government is elected by the common people who think that the leaders they elect have something in common with them. Who we choose to vote for is usually someone who says they share the same views of the world, whether or not this is true. Many times lately, this is just something they say to get elected.

People believe what they are told because they simply can not believe that TPTB would lie about something...These are good, principled people like them, and so, since they would not behave in such a way themselves...They do not believe others would, either.

We are taught from birth that America is the most wonderful place in the world..That we are good and honest people who respect the rights of others...And when we discover that our government is not those things anymore, it is very painful and something we would rather not believe. It hurts less.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
They are the ones who care more about reality TV shows or what the celebs are doing and therefore live in a false world.
We should all know by now that they are the dumbed down ones of our society.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
I can only assume it is because the average IQ if far lower than you would believe. Why does advertising work so well?

The average IQ is 100

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

avg Joes posess avg IQ.. 80% of humans have an avg level intelligence. which means they aren't that smart, BUT everyone of them believe that THEY are smart.

the IQ bell curve-- 10% exceptionally intelligent, 10% profusely unintelligent, and 80% limited reasoning ability.

the MSM are capable to manipulate the majority through providinf info that requires a human to "connect the dots" in a given topic. Majority of people are unable to do so, unable to usually even have the intuition that there a dots which need connecting. example"

1.] a couple of people sarcastically ridicule someone, (a slighly retarded guy) " oh dude, you are a freakin' genius, I mean were you an honor student?, I thought you were a rocket scientist" and the 'mark' really thinks he is being complimented when in fact the opposite is true
2.] a few girls start talking to a fat and ugly girl "you are like sooooo pretty, i love that dress, its so you", the slightly retarded girl smiles, feeling she really is pretty. Unable to even comprehend the sarcasm

my beliefs-- if you tell a moron they are the smartest guy ever, they will believe it. But if you tell an exceptionally smart person they are the smartest, the reply will be "yeah, right. theres gotta be someone smarter out there"

avg joes are morons--definition from wikipedia:

Moron is a term once used in psychology to denote mild mental retardation.[1] The term was closely tied with the American eugenics movement.[2] Once the term became popularized, it fell out of use by the psychological community, as it was used more commonly as an insult than as a psychological term.

Origin and uses

"Moron" was coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard[3] from the Ancient Greek word μωρός (moros), which meant "dull"[4] (as opposed to "sharp"), and used to describe a person with a mental age in adulthood of between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale.[5] It was once applied to people with an IQ of 51-70, being superior in one degree to "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) and superior in two degrees to "idiot" (IQ of 0-25). The word moron, along with others including, "idiotic," "imbecilic," "stupid," and "feeble-minded," was formerly considered a valid descriptor in the psychological community, but it is now deprecated in use by psychologists.[6]

Following opposition to Goddard's attempts to popularize his ideas,[7] Goddard recanted his earlier claims about the moron: "It may still be objected that moron parents are likely to have imbecile or idiot children. There is not much evidence that this is the case. The danger is probably negligible.

my favorite moron definition

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2007 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

moron mo·ron (môr'ŏn')
n.
A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

edit on 4-5-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

new topics

top topics

join