It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan rebels to receive £1.8 billion trust fund

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Libyan rebels to receive £1.8 billion trust fund

www.telegraph.c o.uk

Libya's opposition is to get access to a special $3 billion (£1.8 billion) trust fund established by its Western backers to finance the breakaway regions fighting Col Muammar Gaddafi.
The Libya Contact Group will seek to unfreeze Libyan state assets to replenish the rebels' coffers through the initiative at a meeting in Rome.
That would include allowing the rebels to sell oil from territory under their control, but there are legal questions over who exactly owns the oil, given that Gaddafi is st
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
what what what?!? The West is going to lend a few billion bucks to the rebels because it would be illegal for them to trade oil whilst Gadaffi is still in control because it is not owned by the rebels. It bears repeating

That would include allowing the rebels to sell oil from territory under their control, but there are legal questions over who exactly owns the oil, given that Gaddafi is still in power.
There are also legal issues over whether assets owned by the regime and seized abroad could be given to the Libyan leader's opponents.

So they will not let them have the Libyan assets, nor let them trade the oil because they are not their assets. To me this means in really simple terms that the support of the West for the uprising is 100% categorically illegal and should not be taking place.

Furthermore:

The meeting, which brings together 22 Western and Middle Eastern countries along with the UN, African Union and Arab League, will be attended by Hillary Clinton, the US Secretary of State, and Foreign Secretary William Hague. The money could then be paid back when the issue of oil sales is resolved.
His French counterpart, Alain Juppe, said: "It's not easy. There are Libyan assets that are frozen and for legal reasons unfreezing them is difficult."
The French foreign minister said a key objective of the meeting was to build contacts with officials who have already defected from the Gaddafi regime and others who want to leave it.
"There are a lot of officials from Tripoli who want to talk. We are going to try to coordinate," he said.

Where is this money coming from exactly? Who is lending it precisely? Us in the UK, those in Europe and our brethren over the sea in the USA are lending billions of dollars to a country that is staging a revolution we are already spending millions of dollars a day on in military resources!

Excuse me... I thought we (those countries mentioned above) were skint - without a pot to piss in! Just look at the services cut in the UK in the last year in terms of day centres, carers, social provision etc etc numbers in the hundreds of millions of pounds for sure, but not the billions.

So if we are skint which private financiers are gonna make big on this deal?

Shocked at this turn of events!!!

www.telegraph.c o.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Are there any credible sources that show that the Libyan Rebels are Al Qaeda? I've heard this many times..

We're giving all of this money to rebels (alleged Al Qaeda) with no regard for the future? i.e. Funding Afghanistan against Russia.

Disregard if they're not actually Al Qaeda, but if they were, wouldn't we be funding more terrorism? Isn't that what TPTB need to continue ravaging these middle eastern countries?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So now we don't even take over the country and "liberate" it's resources...

We just outright steal them.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Perhaps, instead of us ordinary people, who want nothing to do with whatever is going on in Libya, and certainly weren't in on the start of it, shouldn't have to see what little is left of our tax payers money invested abroad. This trust fund should be paid by those culpable.

May I make a couple of nominations: how about the CIA budget and the Banking cartell who are at the bottom of all of this eg Messrs Rothchild and buddies

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy
So now we don't even take over the country and "liberate" it's resources...

We just outright steal them.

The power of compound interest loans, & the contracts for rebuilding infrastructure. We own Libya now.

Edit:

Nicely swept under the rug after the OBL news too....
edit on 4-5-2011 by spacedonk because: extra words

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
let me guess their too big to fail too

...lets create the most expensive, capable, technologically advanced military in the world and pay a bunch of rebels to do as they please...

the irony and timing of just TOO much, we just (supposedly) cleaned-up that almost exact mess not DAYS!! ago (can you say Afghanistan rebel trained by CIA, three times fast, Osama Osama Osama)and here we are starting the same thing ...........just unbelievable

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ive been saying all along that what was going on in Libya is about "western" economic interests.

But to those who doubt it, I do not expect this little revelation to do much to change their mind.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Ive been saying all along that what was going on in Libya is about "western" economic interests.

But to those who doubt it, I do not expect this little revelation to do much to change their mind.

Absolutely: typified by the interest in this topic when the OBL death is stealing the headlines.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Its good that people are questioning the party line, (those that are) but I really do wish they would look at the bigger picture.

There is something big and dangerous afoot. What has been going on in Libya is bad enough. But I suspect we are going to repeat the exact same process in a much more dangerous country.

I think we are going to go for Iran, and soon. It could be Pakistan, they have made noises in that direction, but I suspect that is only to scare them into not acting when we move towards Iran. And I have a bad feeling about how their next move is going to play out on the global scale.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

To me it all seems about the seismic global change that is fast approaching when China overtakes the USA as number 1 global economy and thereby superpower. I have thought it for years that the US would use global assets and overseas influence to attempt to shore up their global influence. It seems to me this process is accelerating as the day of reckoning approaches.

join