It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American TV ownership falls for first time in 20 years!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hi all,

Just thought it was interesting that "According to the Nielsen Company the number of US homes which own a television set has declined for the first time in two decades."American TV ownership falls...

Now I suppose the availability of TV programs on the internet is probably a big cause of the drop, but does anyone else have any theories on why this is happening?

My personal view is that people are fed up with the reality crap programming that we are overloaded with, as well as the unending commercials that I find annoying and useless. Yeah, I know, they pay for the crap we view, but still!

It could also be that nobody can afford anything other than the basics, like food, housing, utilities.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The line separating a television set and a computer is becoming less significant everyday.

Because of that fact this statistic isnt very valuable.

Is some guy in front of a TV watching hours of trash really any different from some guy in front of a monitor watching hours of trash?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I dont do it myself, but I know two people who use their computer as a TV screen.

And I'm one of the people who, although owning a TV, almost never turn it on.

Edit - and I dont think its the cost. Where I live, lots of people are upgrading from old CRT type TV's to more modern plasma/LCD/LED types, and discarding the old one out on the street. I'm sure that a lot of them still work fine. Free TV sets for anyone who wants one.

edit on 4-5-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I suppose, but apposed to having a pre set line up of crap that the tv offers you can choose what you want to use the cpu for more openly in terms of research, education or just youtube or pirated shows and movies

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by misnomer68

misnomer68 i have to take that report with a grain of salt. i know too many people who have TV sets in multiple rooms of their house that consider themselves struggling or dirt poor. (yeah, i know!). i can't imagine how many TV's the 'well-to-do' must have! lol

i wonder if the Neilsen (sp?) people also looked at retail sales numbers, or if cable/dish service subscriptions were taken into account.

TV definitely has stiff competition with the Internet. and there have been a few products out for a while that seamlessly integrate the PC/Internet world with TV. i wonder how that affects the data companies like Neilsen generates.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
One thing that's not taken into account, is that people still own TVs, but they're LCD/HD and can be hooked up to any computer, playstation, etc etc. Netflix is a big one, video games is another big one.. I know someone that just surfs Youtube on his TV from his playstation.

Is the real question here, American Cable/Satellite Subscriptions down for the first time in 20 years?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
i know too many people who have TV sets in multiple rooms of their house that consider themselves struggling or dirt poor. (yeah, i know!). i can't imagine how many TV's the 'well-to-do' must have! lol

Growing up I was dirt poor and most of my friends were. We all had a TV in just about every room. Even the kitchen. They werent nice TV's but we had a lot of them.

When I was in college I got to work with and meet an awful lot of rich people. Like over 200K/year people.

Most of them didnt have a TV. If they had one it was either some old 20" in an unused room or it was a really nice flat panel (back when they were thousands of dollars) hidden inside a hutch that was never turned on.

I wouldnt go so far as to say there is a definite correlation but it definitely stood out as something I noticed.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by misnomer68

I would bet most people use their computers these days. With places like CTV here in Canada, you can watch what they air for the price of dealing with a couple commercials. Makes sense to me, why pay a tv carrier then watch commercials anyway?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Growing up I was dirt poor and most of my friends were. We all had a TV in just about every room. Even the kitchen. They werent nice TV's but we had a lot of them.

Just tried to find some demographics on TV watching.
The best I could find was this page, related to Canadian TV viewers. Really, I dont think Canadians are so alien that we cant assume many opther countries are the same.

Higher-income households ($75,000 dollars or more) watch on average 15.8 hours of television per week,
compared to 28.1 hours in households with incomes below $30,000.

Media-awareness

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Interesting. Id like to see how that compares with average hours worked/commuting.

Do the poor just have more time to watch TV? Maybe their limited income restricts how they are able to spend their leisure time?

And of course, chicken or egg, is 30 hours a week in front of the TV a product of poverty or does 30 hours a week in front of the TV hinder wealth accumulation?
edit on 4-5-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Because tv is sooo boring now. Brainless tv shows. Nothing new. Anything good they have gets cancelled.

I can not sit down and watch tv. I find it hurts my brain literally. Such crap.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

that raises a good question. i wonder if people with a larger amount of spendable income watch less TV than lower income or poverty level folks do, and if so, why.

i'd rather be out doing activities and living the lite beer commercial lifestyle ( lol ) but we too have to mind the pennies. so i'm home, and the TV is always on, it kind of keeps me company.

as important as Marketing is to business i'm confident there is all sorts of data correlating levels of income and education with TV viewing hours. if i owned a successful company i would want to make sure i'm getting the most return possible for my TV advertisement dollar.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I know people i work with, who at least use thier IPOD or blackberry or whatever, to watch segments , previews, then go too a freinds house and use thier tvs* its not like a tv is really worth watching these days..hollywood just copys more or less now, new actors, new graphics and stuff..like the remake of the thing, alice in wonderland, charlie and the chocolate factory, transformers* yeah the graphis are cool, bt ti s not like how htey id things, back in the day* at least back then it looked real!
with all the stupid commericals, especially medications with near lethal side effects* that take up more than 30 minutes of air time, who wants to watch that? ide rather be out doing soemthing, than just mind rotting infront of side effect medications, and hair loss plots, and then a program full of over drama complicity..you all have enough of that in yuor life* its sad watching a staged version of it*

new topics

top topics

join