It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Air Force Poised to Launch First-of-its-Kind Space Based Infrared System Satellite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ok I was clearing out my in-box this morning and found two good stories sent to me. I already posted the other over in the Science and technology forum and now this one. I know many of our members monitor new development. So in case some may have missed it...

Enjoy
U.S. Air Force Poised to Launch First-of-its-Kind Space Based Infrared System Satellite

SBIRS GEO-1 will enhance early warning of missile launches around the globe, support the nation's ballistic missile defense system, greatly expand our technical intelligence gathering capability, and provide enhanced situational awareness for warfighters on the battlefield.

"SBIRS GEO-1 represents the dawn of a new era in overhead persistent infrared surveillance that will greatly improve national security for years to come," said Brig Gen (select) Roger W. Teague, the U.S. Air Force's Infrared Space Systems Directorate director. "We look forward to getting this next generation system on orbit and delivering its enhanced capabilities to the warfigher."

The GEO-1 satellite includes highly sophisticated scanning and staring sensors that will deliver enhanced infrared sensitivity and a reduction in area revisit times over the current constellation. The scanning sensor will provide a wide area surveillance of missile launches and natural phenomena across the earth, while the staring sensor will be tasked to observe smaller areas of interest with enhanced sensitivity.

"SBIRS GEO-1 will usher in a new era of critical missile warning capabilities vital to our national security, and we are focused on delivering mission success for the warfighter," said Jeff Smith, Lockheed Martin's vice president and SBIRS program director. "The dedication, talent and integrity of the entire SBIRS team has been remarkable, and this launch will be a testament to every individual who has supported this vitally important program."

edit on 4-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I know someone personally who is Space Command/SBIRS. Him and his team are literally the first line of defense for this country. However, SBIRS is nothing new..

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I appreciate the feedback.
Got any links?

edit on 5-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
hi there Slayer69,

hope you are well,
Leo is correct it is not new sensing system, I highly recommend reading William E Burrows book from 1996 called " Deep Black "
www.goodreads.com...

it was written in the late 80`s but it contains so much info it is well worth getting hold of a copy. ( I managed to get a copy from Amazon , and when it turned up it was a hard back version from the library of an ex Senator.
)

snoopyuk

edit on 5-5-2011 by snoopyuk because: spelling

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I appreciate the feedback.
Got any links?

edit on 5-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.

This is not the first SBIRS (pronounced sibers) satelite to go up. In fact, I watched the first GEO launch in person at Vandy AFB. And well SBIRS is already in existance and mission control for this one is based out of Buckley. And again, I personally know the flight chief and commander overseeing this and monitoring this sat....wish I could give more info....I am not privy to much more :/

Buckley news on this...

www.buckley.af.mil...
2nd Space Warning Squadron

The 2d Space Warning Squadron operates the Space-Based Infrared System or SBIRS, Mission Control Station and four other operations facilities located around the world. They maintain satellite control authority and command the Defense Support Program, or DSP, satellite constellation. Additionally, they report ballistic missile/space launches, nuclear detonations, and infrared data of operational value to the President, SECDEF, combatant commanders, intelligence agencies and global warfighters.

edit on May 6th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join