It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cactus leaves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
As a cashier in popular grocery store, i see many people of different origins buying cactus leaves.. When asked how to prepare it.. i get stir fry? To me, thats not really clear nor gives me any ideas? How does it taste? Any suggestions?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by catiscurious

slimy,similar to okra and rather bland

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What i do with it is boil for 10 min only. Color will change slightly. Then I heat oil, slice into strips and fry. But i add salt and pepper, comino(cumin) and chili powder to taste. They have a pickled green bean taste is the only way i can describe. Here in South Texas, its pretty popular. We actually cut then off the plants and dethorn ourselves. Sometimes for breakfast after you follow the above steps, you can add in some eggs and scramble. Nopal con Huevos mmmmmmmm!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
A google search for nopalitos recipes, should bring up tons! I love nopal with pork fried together in homemade salsa

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
In Spanish they are referred to as nopales. I prefer to saute them in a little oil or bacon fat with chopped onion and tomatoes. You can also incorporate them in scrambled eggs.

You can find a ton of great recipes online. Here's one you may want to consider:

link

Enjoy!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In S Texas us hispanics will eat alot off of nature. My husband killed a 6 ft rattler and cooked it up like chicken nuggets w the fried nopalitos. Rattle snakes are a delacacy.

new topics

top topics

join