It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Sneaks RFID Drivers License, Internet ID Into Transportation Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Senate Sneaks RFID Drivers License, Internet ID Into Transportation Bill

www.blacklistednew s.com

The Florida Senate Committee on Governmental Oversight and Accountability on Wednesday approved an amendment to include “electronic authentication,” as well as “biometrics” to Florida Driver’s licenses. In addition, the amendment to SB 1150, which passed committee on a 12-0 vote, instructs the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to provide a security token that can be electronically authenticated through a personal computer.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.flsenate.gov
1787network.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
White House Pushes Secure Online Identity System

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Security expert Walk Augustinowicz breaks down the bill.

"There are other states with RFID in their drivers' licenses, Vermont, New York, Michigan, Washington state," he says.He goes on to say these states started using the RFID chips as a way to ensure licenses couldn't be duplicated.

However, he explains how easy it is to steal the card's card information in less than a second if you're in the range of an RFID reader. "It's not something to be taken lightly," he says. "anything once you put a radio chip in it, you need to have physcial protection. There's always a hacker that's going to figure a way around it. "http://www.nbc-2.com/story/14368365/2011/04/01/fl-senate-to-consider-rfid-chips-in-drivers-licenses

Florida, the state where many
of the 9/11 suspects obtained their drivers license - is leading the way with the REAL ID - passed in 2005.

The amendment also states : DHSMV to provide a “security token that can be electronically authenticated through a personal computer.” It is unclear from the amendment whether the driver’s license itself would act as the token.

And remember just last week The Obama Administration announced its push for the assignment of a single, unique authentication key for Internet users, which many are calling the “Internet driver’s license.” Several news sources confirmed that they are drafting a “National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace” and said that the Internet ID would likely come in the form of a “smart card.”

Section 53. Section 322.145, Florida Statutes, is created to read:
322.145 Electronic authentication of licenses.—
(1) Any driver’s license issued on or after July 1, 2012, must contain a means of electronic authentication, which conforms to a recognized standard for such authentication, such as public key infrastructure, symmetric key algorithms, security
tokens,mediametrics, or biometrics. Electronic authentication capabilities must not interfere with or change the driver’s license format or topology.

www.flsenate.gov...

www.blacklistednew s.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Looks like I will be nuking my license in the microwave for 30 seconds after I renew it next year.
edit on 4-5-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Only need to do it for 10seconds

Don't want to melt it

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Guess you didn't read the second part of the amendment (emphasis added):

16 (2) The department shall provide, at the applicant’s option
17 and at the time a license is issued, a security token that can
18 be electronically authenticated through a personal computer. The
19 token must also conform to one of the standards provided
20 subsection (1).

That part of it is totally optional.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by potaco
Guess you didn't read the second part of the amendment (emphasis added):

16 (2) The department shall provide, at the applicant’s option
17 and at the time a license is issued, a security token that can
18 be electronically authenticated through a personal computer. The
19 token must also conform to one of the standards provided
20 subsection (1).

That part of it is totally optional.

That'll be changed quick. Ever hear of the Totalitarian Tip Toe?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by potaco

Read again, its the dirvers license is optional.
Florida has just acheived one more of the 18 benchmarks in the REAL ID Act.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I live in Florida, it's a nice flat state with mostly warm, sunny and dry year round weather.

Perfect for riding a bicycle and walking.

People simply need to start opting out of this system which is on the verge of bankrupting itself and collapse anyway.

The more people opt out, the fewer revenues they will collect, the quicker that bankruptcy will happen.

Once the collapse occurs, the politicians will no longer have any justification for their bankrupting actions, and new simpler laws can be written by a new simpler government, bound by the very simple but oft ignored and abused constitution.

It is oft abused by attempting to regulate things through the commerce clause by making everything part of the commerce system.

We have seen in these past two hundred years through that, where the present weakness in the present constitution lies.

Congress and State Legislatures need to be restricted from unlimited ability and privelege to regulate commerce.

Restrictions need to be placed on that, and these end runs around the constitution will stop.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I live in Florida, it's a nice flat state with mostly warm, sunny and dry year round weather.

Proto,

Florida again!
leading the way...
(I actually thought of you when I posted this! )

Lets see them try this in Montana. Now that would be the day!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Proto,

Florida again!
leading the way...
(I actually thought of you when I posted this!

Lets see them try this in Montana. Now that would be the day!

Actually Montana is very sparsely populated and in rural areas which most of Montana is you still have horses!

They probably are also some of the best armed and independent thinking people in the nation, so this might not go over too goo.

I spent the better part of a year in Montana during my misbegotten youth playing with a touring band that hailed from Billings.

It's really a neat state and at the time, back in the early 80's, during the day, you could travel the rural roads as fast as your car could carry you, the fine if pulled over was a standard 5 dollars due in cash to the officer writing the citation and no points against your license.

Once the sun set they reverted to the normal codes.

But too their credit they were at leat smart enough to say wow, 30 miles of empty road and you are the only car on it? Go ahead knock yourself out.

My favorite part of Montana though is there is one bar for every four citizens!

The New World Order is bound to go over real well there.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

They probably are also some of the best armed and independent thinking people in the nation, so this might not go over too good.

Yep, Montana...

Oh I would love to see more states do this...

Montana HOUSE BILL NO. 382 sponsored by Rep. D. Skees is titled - "AN ACT PROHIBITING INFRINGEMENT OF THE STATE OF MONTANA'S CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO NULLIFICATION OF ANY FEDERAL STATUTE, MANDATE, OR EXECUTIVE ORDER CONSIDERED UNCONSTITUTIONAL BY THE STATE; ENACTING THE MONTANA NULLIFICATION REAFFIRMATION ACT; AND PROVIDING A RETROACTIVE APPLICABILITY DATE." url

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

good catch getting so lazy why read all the news sites sifting for the goods when ATS has them all in one stop

FnS and this is Epic a big step for the evil NWO behind TPTB

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A bump for the real Americans who need to know this is the deal

your are going to be chipped and the new big brother state will take away whats left of your rights if you let them get away with this stuff.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

What I found interesting the other day is soon these rfid chips might become obselete...
and they now have tattoo rfid.

Yep...thats tattoo as in tattoo. I need to find out more info on it...
They finally have it up and working and are using it on animals.

p.s. thanks for your responses!

new topics

top topics

join