It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 7 in U.S. Receive Food Stamps.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It is because rents have gone up,food prices have gone up and gas prices have gone up. There are many people on unemployment and still many people who only work $8.hour or less. I think we should be able to buy any kind foods we want accept for pop or candy. Everyone needs a little sugar in their diet so I think it is ok to get maybe cookies or pudding. Maybe they should limit junk foods.
Basically the rule on food stamps is anything a person can eat or drink except for alchol. Many times food stamps come with disablity or medicaid. I think this is better than going to a food pantry because you have a lot more choices. The idea of limiting people to only 1 years is horrible because people on disablity and social security can only work part time or they lose ALL benefits.
If we don't give food stamps to illegal aliens they may just leave. Then maybe more of the jobs can come back to the american citzens. If the outsourced jobs were brought back that also bring tons of jobs back. I once called technical assistance only to help the person help me. I came up with most of the solutions myself. Many people on disablity could do these jobs even someone who is lazy can sit at a desk answering phones.
If prices also go down this would decrease the number of people on food stamps. Many people I know pay 40-60% of their income out towards housing expenses; this includes utlities. I pay 65% of my income towards rent alone and 75% to rent and utlities. Soon I will be paying 105% to rent and utlities but that is why I will be moving in a few months again.
Trust me it sucks to have to depend on these things but it keeps a person indepedent and not have to live with parents who put me down. This is why I am graduating in July with Masters in Psychology so I can give myself better oppurtunities. It is sad because I have had several interveiws and I am competing with people who may have less skills but fit the hours better. It is just really hard out there now. My career counselor was supposed to get back with me on Monday but I have not heard from him because he probably can not find me a job.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

yes see things like this are rediculus *i will admit i jumped into replying and didnt read all of your post* but my Brothers parents are on disability and they have to pay 80% rent WITH A ROOMATE and they have 4-5 people at a time to feed! *they make me eat dinner at there house sometimes* and that is rediculus that they feel they need to take care of me yet they can barely take care of themselves.

My post on the matter: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 5/4/11 by Solsthime331 because: Posting link to exactly whats hapening with them.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

If prices also go down this would decrease the number of people on food stamps.

The problem is prices NEVER go down, they always go up and up and up. I guess its called "depreciation" of value. You buy a car that costs $15,000 brand new and the next day its worth $10,000 if your lucky. In business they call it "goodwill", i call it HOT AIR, because everything prepackaged is supposedly "bling, bling"

Then add the fact we live in a capitalist society and everyone wants to MAXIMISE THEIR PROFITS, so why would retailers drop prices? For example when crude oil was trading for $140 a barrel on the mercantile exchange the price was $4.50 per gallon, then the price per barrel dropped to $75 and you still pay $3.75 at the pump. Technically should you not pay 45% less per gallon if the price per barrell dropped 45%? But they come up will all kind of silly excuses why you don't!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I always find it maddening when the person in front of me at the store pays with some kind of government program, the I watch them pull out in a Lincoln Navigator. my wife and I work, we can't afford to wear the cloths these people wear, and we can't afford to drive the cars these people drive.... cut them off

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
How many of those getting food stamps really need them, and how many are just swindlers "milking the system" for free food?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07You should ask your grand-parents how much did it cost to buy a loaf of bread and a stick of gum back in the 40s and 50s AND THEN COMPARE those prices to today's prices. Shock and awe is an understatement?

To be fair, ask them how much salary they earned then versus now. Sure, prices were plenty cheaper then - but salaries were also a lot lower than now.

A better comparison would be to figure out how many hours they had to work to buy 10 gallons of gasoline then vs now, or a shopping bag full of food. For example, back in the 50s a bottle of Coke might have only cost 10 cents, but back then $2/hour was a decent working wage.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

The standard of living is probably identical between the 50s and 2011. By STL I mean wages compared to purchasing power AND THEN COMPARED to today! In other words nothing has changed except the value of money, which keeps going down with each new dollar bill in circulation.

Too much money chasing too few goods/services creates inflation. Inflation and deflation represent capitalistic boom-bust cycles-bull versus bear markets....real estate bubbles, stock market bubbles created by institutionalised manipulation, etc.

There have to be better economic systems available somewhere, the trouble is where do we find them and how do they work? I don't favor the gold/silver standard as proposed by ron paul because I don't think there is enough gold and silver to account for all the money in circulation. We just need better controls and the elite to stop messing around.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

It is a sad situation,that wasn't the first time either,they're many vets and active duty that receive food stamps.Especially the lower ranks.When we were first starting out we over qualified by less than 100 dollars and really needed them at the time.What really pisses me off are the people that do qualify,not a lot but some,using food stamps and wearing expensive clothing,jewelry,and driving really nice new cars never understood that concept,but don't get me wrong there are quite a large number of people that do need them to make ends meet,but I guess the few that abuse the system are always going to be there.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Then there's folks like my family, that could qualify if we applied and WANTED them, but don't want them and still manage to make it.

I want to be clear that I support the food stamp program, but I also think most people are spoiled.
We can't afford 1 in 7 on food stamps.

Oh but what makes me hot is then the local govt comes in and says people can't have chickens at all if the land isn't zoned right - not even a few sitting hens when housed on ACRES of land... and they are wanting to have hearings about gardening in residential areas.

Get out of my way government. Get OUT of my way. I can feed my family 10x better than you can anyway. Wish others realized this.
You don't NEED phones, cable tv or coca colas.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LS650

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07You should ask your grand-parents how much did it cost to buy a loaf of bread and a stick of gum back in the 40s and 50s AND THEN COMPARE those prices to today's prices. Shock and awe is an understatement?

To be fair, ask them how much salary they earned then versus now. Sure, prices were plenty cheaper then - but salaries were also a lot lower than now.

A better comparison would be to figure out how many hours they had to work to buy 10 gallons of gasoline then vs now, or a shopping bag full of food. For example, back in the 50s a bottle of Coke might have only cost 10 cents, but back then $2/hour was a decent working wage.

That's true, but wouldn't have minimum wage also have gone up? Of course it has but not in relation to inflation. I'll take 2 and hour anyday as long as you have products priced at 10 cents. Inflation is only going to get worse; I've heard of people with BA degrees having to work at MCD's to make 8 dollars an hour simply because there iaren't any jobs around.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
My husband works in the housing industry and wages have went down.
First he lost all bonuses - that was 1/2 of his pay.
Then they cut everyone 10%.
Then last year, they cut everyone either 10% or 20%
We were glad it was only 10%

He's actually working much harder than he used to, as so many employees were laid off.

Now that isn't just OUR story - that is something a lot of folks have in common here.

NOw, to make it worse, a lot of people have just went without power for a week or more, and they've lost anythign they might have had in freezers or the fridge.

I know many people in their 30's who have worked their whole lives, but who have NEVER gotten a raise.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I say we should portion out internet usage only to people with half a brain. Giving everyone a voice online, really? I realize that people, like yourself, think they have something useful to say, but statistics show 1 in 7 people are morons. I say force idiots to get an education ... if they make something of themselves they'll be better off for it. Not only are we allowing people to continue to be lethargic dunces spewing half-witted nonsense but due to lax provisioning those who are producing something useful are drowned out by the tsunami of dumb.

See what I did there?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMalefactor

First of all in most states you have to attend at least 10 years of classroom study unless you are clinically retarded and cleared by a doctor(s) so your arguement is really null and void. Second if everyone needs to go to college to avoid going on food stamps then who the hell is gonna do all the menial jobs? And why should someone with ONLY four years less of education make 1/3 to 1/20 of a college graduates pay? True some skilled technical jobs pay pretty good but most of the old school trades are meaningless if you can buy chineese products at walmart for next to nothing.

Right wingers keep whinning about everything but its their fault america got screwed so bad the last 100 years or so. I am talking about the politicians, not so much the people who vote for them, although if you keep voting "the wrong party" your guilty by proxy.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LS650

Most people who need them truly need them. I don't know many swindlers myself. I know about 5 people on ebt and every single one of them is a hard worker or disabled.
The people that have the cell phone or nice car might have had that before they lost their job or fell on hard times. My sister had a really nice cell phone before she was fired and now is on unemployment. She kept her cell phone and got rid of her home phone. Now that is her only phone.
You can't lie about your income to the government or you will be fined or go to jail. The few people who have done so are usually on the news for welfare fraud. This only happens every few years that I know of.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Working in a nonprofit organization funded directly Human Rescource Administration (agency in charge of welfare/medicaid/food stamps in NYC) I can attest through my own experience seeing about 5-10% approximation) of the people hustling. That's about one out of every 10 or 15 people or so that you could tell did not need food stamps judging by their clothing, jewlery, and swagger. Most were under the books, working the drug or strip/prostitution trade, and some openly boasted to others "how they do". Those were the bad apples.

On the other hand I saw close to 90% of the people in DIRE need for any assistance. Most were under educated, some were once middle class hit on hard times, I've seen people with master degrees, i've seen many single mothers, I've seen people of all races, religions and status. The job became too much for me to handle at one point, as it was draining me physically. The point? Yes there are people that will try and get over. Same goes for Wall street. But there are many honest people that truly need the services just to make ends meet. As the economy gets worse more and more people will be on this side of the fence and one day you might find yourself there or someone close to you.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Isnt the moto of this websight "Deny ignorance"? That was VERY ignorant, in mindsight i will return a little to you as a act for karma; If you had learned how to read you would realize that a VET has to get them...in ontario thats 4 years in Toronto University or an Ottawa University otherwise out of province to the west, and as the person who worked in a Canadian Works building said he saw people of every stature. Why would you think that the need for a 10 year colage/University plan is what will keep you off food stamps...I am in grade 11 i want to be a Physicist but i have 3 back drops of A Chef because i have 2 years of kitchen work in my old highschool, i have a mechanic because i have family in the trade who can teach me on the job, and there is Breeding dogs witch my grandmothers friend dose, She will have 2-3 females to start find 2-3 males and have 2-3 litters depending on the # changing the time of year so the dogs have time to heal up *she gives them a full year each to heal just for extra safty because of a bad experience with her mothers dog when she was younger not going to get into details, its easy to have a companion, A pack, A family that supports you while you suport them BUT its quite hard for people to be born into this much luck as me, i have it well off! but my mother dose not...she went to colage for photography and hairdressing for weddings and she is spending another year after already doing 2 years because her Digree is Void now...that is not O.K. i dont live with her so my sisters and her are on stamps atm until she can move out of my grandmothers when shes done school, as well as my father! he went to highschool did to grade 11 and quit went to go back and ALL the schools were not teaching him anything it was more of a adult have coffee and donuts hangout time...this is not O.K. you dont know how bad this world is.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

We are in the worst economic times since the Great Depression. Maybe you should do some research what people went through in regards to food and housing because apparently you have no idea. In some parts of the US the TRUE unemployment rate is staggering. The difference at this time is that the country was not holding incredible debt. There is debate about raising the debt limit, oil is being bought by India in Rupees instead of dollars the US credit score has been lowered. My point is we are in a financial crisis that no one is sure what it means or where its going. Peoples heads apparently not wrapped around any of this. Instead of complaining about things like bringing home the troops, cutting off foreign aide, reducing the defense budget etc. People want to complain how people spend their food stamps. With food prices rocketing with no end in sight. The US money woes still undecided. How far do you think what they are recieving will stretch if they continue to recieve them at all. If you are still able to buy food consider yourself fortunate. Shortly you may find yourself in a bread line as well. I know if there is no bread we can all eat cake.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Also if the prices of things were reduced and all money was recalled, there would be more money its not that its actualy a loss of money its that the actual #s change...%s dont...most people in the money game only look at #s and they want big ones they dont think with enough science and history to know that even though the #s change you still make ___%!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

Yes there are food banks in America, and church groups handing out free food, the very places they also help people to get food stamps using their internet applications. So many more people off of the grid are getting assistance. Also realize they say one out of 7 people, so if a block of houses housed 7 people per house that would be 100% of the people on that block getting assistance. The numbers are greater than they sound.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
As it has been stated before,

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime.....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join