It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 7 in U.S. Receive Food Stamps.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

1 in 7 in U.S. Receive Food Stamps.

blogs.wsj.com

Growth in the food stamp program appeared to reach a plateau in February — with 14.3% of the population relying on the safety net program.

Click the image for a map of food stamp use by state.The number of food stamp recipients was essentially flat in February, the most recent month available, with 44.2 million Americans receiving benefits, according a new report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
A family of six in Illinois receives about $600/month in food stamps … that’s nearly as much as I spend for my family of six! I can’t tell you how many times I’m in line at a grocery store and see a woman (usually) with a couple kids and a shopping cart full of convenience foods with not a single fruit, vegetable, or unprepared meat to be seen.

I realize there are people who truly need the assistance but one in seven … really? I say cut it off after 12 month and give people no more than 12 months of eligibility every five years. Force them to buy fresh food only … no prepared foods … if they have to make it themselves it will probably be healthier. Not only are we paying for them to eat but we then have to pay for their Medicare for all their obesity related health issues.

blogs.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Arghghghgh...thank you for posting this.

I agree and feel the same - I know there ARE people out there who rely on this, but my girlfriend works in retail (Walgreens) and always sees the same - people coming in with foodstamps buying candy, steak, whatever - all sorts of non-necessity items, and no apparent thought that this is a problem.

I've worked with people who receive food stamps, and they see no problem with it, take no effort to either get rid of the foodstamps if they *don't* actually need them, or try to do anything to get into a situation where they don't need them.

We should help the poor and stuggling, granted, but I don't think this is the right way. I'm sick of being one of the people who does NOT receive any government assistance, and knowing that money I and many others could use to better our lives, pay off our debt, etc., is going to a bunch of idiots who don't need it and splurge to satisfy their wants and laziness - and laugh about it like it's something they deserve rightfully.

"Entitlement" my arse - what does it take to get these people off the federal teat and out of my paycheck?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I lost my job at budwieser last year, and my fiancée and I turned to the program for the extra needed help. It was our first time, and i was kind of impressed at what we had to actually go through to get them. several job meetings and what not. But we refuse to be the ones who waste them on junk and soda. We live by a strictly followed meal plan. We shop according to this and make sure our 2 yr old comes first and was set for the month before we took care of our selves. I am happy to report im off though now

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Key Facts
• 402,000 Ontarians a month were forced to turn to food banks in 2010, up sharply from 374,000 in 2009
• Since the recession hit in 2008, food bank use in Ontario has grown by 28 percent, an unprecedented increase
• In 2010, 3.1 percent of the Ontario population accessed food banks, making the province of Ontario the third most intensive user of food bank services, after
Newfoundland and Labrador and Manitoba
• In an effort to balance fixed incomes with rising costs of living, more Ontario seniors are turning to food banks to make it through the month – 12 percent of
the adults served were over 65 in 2010, up from 4 percent in 2009.
Seniors also make great use of meal programs offered by food banks

these are ontario results and these are the lowest standards of each of the provinces, this is rediculus i both countrys canada has a total of 1 in 85 in ontario 1 in 60 in quebec, 1 in 120 in NS,NFL+L, and PEI. 1 in 40 in Manatoba 1 in 40 in Sas, 1 in 35 in BC up north i couldnt find standings for but that is huge numbers of people without money to pay for food. *Example: www.abovetopsecret.com...*

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Its sad that so many there are in need.. But how many more there need help and are unable to get help ? Yet the u.s gives billions to israel to butcher palestinians.. Wastes trillions more on illegal / immoral wars around the world..
Something seriously wrong when the supposedly "greatest nation on earth" cant even take care of its own people... Truly sad to see happen..

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The people need food stamps because the economy is so good.

As far as I know, all of our elected politicians have been saying that inflation is not a problem...... Since Jimmy Carter was the POTUS.

My first new pickup truck (1984) cost me $7,200.
My second new pickup truck (1996) cost me $23,000.

They were different brands, but roughly equivalent vehicles.

I am not buying new vehicles anymore. The prices that I see now are too much.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Food stamps are a necessity, too many people rely on it just to get by. That being said of course there are people that take advantage and buy non necessities. What I don't understand is, if you try and by beer or duct tape or whatever it'll prevent you from doing so, so why not candy and non essential items as well? I also agree on caps in the amount of time you receive FS but on the same token I believe job assistance and preparedness is essential to weening off people that would otherwise not get by on stamps.

Either which way you cannot punish the majority (who needs are genuine) because of a minority that take advantage. Too many people are in need of help at this time, and in a nation where the separation of wealth is so obvious, it is our duty to make sure that those in need (which inlcude children and elderly) are taken care of on the bare essentials such as food.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

i cant say for USA but canadas food bank is ran by civilians donating food not the governement giving it to them free of charge...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What do you think is going to happen here in probably less than a month when the program hits a brick wall?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solsthime331
reply to post by butcherguy

i cant say for USA but canadas food bank is ran by civilians donating food not the governement giving it to them free of charge...
I am glad that you Canucks have the good sense to run a program that way.

I wish we only could get that kind of common sense in our government.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
$600 a month???

I say we save that money and put the parents in jail

and take custody of the five children

We need to save $$$, not spend $600 a month

edit on 4-5-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Knee-jerk reaction to cut it off without a solution or considering all the ramifications and consquences.

Cut it off and then what? Let them starve? Become a burden on other family members and drive them to the same place to add even more people? Trickle the lower consumption down to eliminating even more jobs and making the situation even worse?

I know we can't afford this, but we also can't afford not to help. How the hell do we REALLY FIX it?

Canada has the right idea, and we do do this here too, but Canada is not in the dire straits we are in here in the U.S. and it's been reported that donations and supplies are low and cannot keep up with the demand.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I don't find it terribly suprising to be honest with you, in fact with so many low level jobs being shipped overseas its kinda mysterious that MORE PEOPLE don't need food stamps, welfare and unemployment benefits.

Then add all the illegals entering each year and you got a recipe for disaster! Lets stop playing "judge the democrats and minorities" and put the blame where it truely belongs. Our corporate goverment saying YES SIR loud and clear each time............

And yes ALL the social programs NEED REFORM...actually they needed reform A LONG TIME AGO so lazy and/or otherwise unqualified people would not have milked people who did work for an honest living. With a 14 trillion dollar defecit, wars left and right, banker bailouts...its only a matter of time before the entire economic system collapses and another one takes it place.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

ive said this on other posts, Money is not natural, Ownership, Greed, Trade, Barter; All are natural but a item to represent worth that if it wasnt stampted by someone HAS NO WORTH is not natural creating an item to trade for another item yes it the way we work but a curency was the worst way to do that, it would be better to have it like in ancient times *where do you think last names come from* if your name is Fisher, your ansestors might have been fishers and traded fish to the Bakers who baked and suplied the Fishers and the Smiths who build the stoves for the bakers and the hooks for the fishers things like this need to happen more than money trade! BARTER!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

This is very sad news indeed,I was shopping at the military base commissary the other day and noticed the vet and his wife in front of me using food stamps and I thought this is what they get?Is this what I'm going to be using after all these years of service?It definitely shouldn't be this way I know we earn a third of what we would be earning in the civilian world so that kind of says it all I guess that is how much our lives are worth.......what a shame

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

WOW A VET? thats rediculus that even some of the highest paying civilian jobs arn't even enough.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

I tend to agree. Produce and buy locally. Barter. Learn a skill. Change the mindset. Unfortunately many people will not go there until they are forced to. More and more are dong it and unfortunately too some who haven't yet been effected think it'll never happen to them or they've been there and survived so they have no sympathy. But we're awhile from a changed society. It'll take a catastrophic occurrence, either fast or slow, to tip the scale. Unfortunately this was a plan well-executed in phases over the past three decades to not only eliminate the middle class but to divide the country on every division line possible so that they would bicker away the time as all this happened.Plus all the wealth is stuck in the accounts of people and corporations who aren't using it.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

unfortunatly your right, But also look at how christianity started, word of mouth, Start saying "naw im trading with my cousin every month for his corn and i bring him some berries that i grow in my garden each year we trade off so i have my Vegis and he has his Fruits no need to waist lots off money!" and get your nieghbor to grow Cabbage and trade him your berries for cabbage and things like this start small in your comunitys and it will grow im sugjesting that each person dose that this summer and we come back and talk about how it went, Talk to nieghbors and set up a Vegi and Fruit trade center. House 1: carrots+blueberries House 2: Potatoes and Tomatoes ect. i know im going to.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
The people need food stamps because the economy is so good.

As far as I know, all of our elected politicians have been saying that inflation is not a problem...... Since Jimmy Carter was the POTUS.

My first new pickup truck (1984) cost me $7,200.
My second new pickup truck (1996) cost me $23,000.

They were different brands, but roughly equivalent vehicles.

I am not buying new vehicles anymore. The prices that I see now are too much.

You should ask your grand-parents how much did it cost to buy a loaf of bread and a stick of gum back in the 40s and 50s AND THEN COMPARE those prices to today's prices. Shock and awe is an understatement?

YEP
And guess why we have inflation...banks introduce money through the federal reserve each time there is a recession to maximise profits during such slow periods. When its a booming economy they don't need to borrow from the big private bank.

Its a pyramid scheme. Those that invest first make the most and those that invest last lose everything without making a red cent in interest. They don't teach this in school. Its "a classified secret" for the bank mafia that allows them full control over governments. No wonder it makes no difference what you vote for if someone else ALREADY OWNS "your government".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join