It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Huskies slaughtered in Canada because tour group over estimated demand

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

If you want to make a difference, even if it is small ask people to support or adopt animals in the pound.

True true

Sorry for my misinterpretation of your 1st post, things like this make me see red and I can can tend to over react.

I always get my animals from the pound or adopt strays, we found Snowy (my avatar) and his brother living in an alley near a restaurant close to my place, he had 2 other brothers and we found homes for them as well.

I sympathise with pounds who have to put animals down, I assume most people there would be animal lovers also. I know a friend of mine who did an internship with a well known pound in OZ and eveyday they had to put animals down due to the fact with so many coming in and not many leaving they just didnt have a choice. I believe her when she told me the vet whos job it was to actually insert the needle cried every time.

I do what I can, Over here in Malaysia there is a big stray animal problem and Ive helped to set up a farm for abandoned animals in a place called Penang that is going well and whenever I see a stray kitten or puppy I try to find a home for them but unfortunately more often than not it ends in disappointment, in those circumstances I feed them and try my best not to think about it as I walk away.

Im actually looking at setting up a desexing program for strays over here, it wont help the animals here now but will stop thhere being more in the future.

Its reassuring to see other people here care as much as me

Cheers guys

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

U2U me where to send donations and will do my best. You are a fantastic person and a beautiful soul.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by nahsik

I will correct you...dogs have owners,cats have staff.
My three cats have me and my husband very well trained.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

LOL true true

Dont you love it how cats will meow and whine at the door then when you open it they make you wait in the cold while they decide if there ready or not to come in

Luckily over here its never cold but can remember back home in Melbourne, cheeky little lovable sh!ts

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
These are some fantastic stories of heroic animals from People Magazine.
Scarlett the cat (saved her kittens from a burning building) is in this one.
There are 2 wonderful dogs. Tara and Tiree, who work together to save their owner from drowning.
Also a blind Lab who rescues a drowning girl, a pig, a bird, and even a cow that saves his owner by circling other cows to keep a stampeding bull from killing him. You gotta love these true stories if you have a heart at all.
www.people.com...

Hearing her master's cries, Tara raced over, only to crash through (the ice) herself.
As they thrashed about, Tiree appeared.
"All I could think was that she'd meet our same fate," says Gilchrist.
Instead the whining dog crouched on her belly and crawled to the hole.
As Gilchrist grabbed Tiree's collar, Tara scrambled atop his back to jump out of the hole.

Then she lay on her belly alongside Tiree so Gilchrist could grab her collar with his other hand.
While the 200-pound Gilchrist hung on, the dogs clawed backward until he was safe.

"They had every right to run ashore," says Gilchrist, who, back home, gave his dogs a hot bath.
"They risked their lives to save me."

edit on 4-5-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Pet stores gas/euthanize/stab/rape there animals when they can't sell them, it goes for any facility specialized for breeding animals. It's like any other farm. Some stories go as far as to suggest they use remains for feeding other animals.
This is why I could never buy an animal from these facilities, I'd just adopt if there was one, do nothing if there wasn't.... I have this stance regardless of how they threat there animals really. Of course, I understand if people try to charge adoptions of there litter, no lunch is free.
edit on 4/5/2011 by SassyCat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

The employee was acting out on orders to kill the
dogs.He even suffered from stress because of his actions.
The owners need to be behind bars.
www.animal-abusesite.info...

This website is about abuses and such at animal shelters.
Please,spay and neuter your pets.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

By the time he had shot his 15th husky, the man said he noticed the other dogs were "experiencing anxiety and stress", the documents said.

"He described a guttural sound he had never heard before from the dogs and fear in their eyes."

news.ninemsn.com.au...

I bawled my eyes out when I read this

Dogs aren't 'just animals'. They are intelligent and understand a hell of a lot more than people generally give them credit for.

These poor dogs witnessed the others being killed while they waited for their turn to die, no wonder they were so stressed and scared - they knew they were going to die. What a cruel thing to put them through. How terrified they must have been. I can't bear it

What kind of person recognises fear in the eyes of the creature he is about to kill, and senses it's distress, then goes right on ahead with killing it? What a cold, callous, inhuman monster.

No-one forced him to do it, he should have told his boss to eff off.

If he'd have done the right thing and refused to kill them then he wouldn't be suffering so badly with his guilt.

Now he gotta find a way to live with himself.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Animals have no rights at all and until they do there is nothing we can do about this horror.

Animals have no rights because they can't vote.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
UGGG that's just sickening, I know my dog is a right royal pain in the arse on a good day but dang it no need to get violent, couldn't they have just found homes for the dogs, heck even farmed them out to other provinces? There is no need to kill animals because humans made a mistake and breeded to many of them, people just need to start being responsible for their actions.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Australiana

Thanks alot I really appreciate the offer

At this stage Im not taking or looking for donations from the general public, still approaching SMEs and a few big corps to get pledges only. So far have been promised 32,650 RM (about $10K OZ) by a few big boys and Ive told them Ill come to collect when I have 300K promised and all the legalities sorted out.

Got a Dato (malaysian equivalent of a knighthood) involved 2 months ago and his name has added alot of legitimacy so making things easier

Its really just a matter of finding time to get it all done, between work, social commitments, my sport and now ATS LOL finding time to do what needs to be done is hard. Hold onto your money for now but if you ever come to Malaysia could use your legs and voice

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Great I have a friend friend from Malaysia and her family still live there. Let me know if I can spread word to her family for anything. She keeps saying I should go over with her to Malaysia for a visit one day and that might turn out to be a working holiday once I see what you guys have done. You guys are great!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Australiana
reply to post by nahsik

I don't think the main problem here is that the dogs were "put down". The problem lies with the brutality of it all and the fact they were tied up together and each had to watch it - where all the while they were upset and scared as they knew they were next. I mean that is just SICK! The part that he had to chase Suzi (the mother of his dog) to kill her made me vomit in my mouth and not to mention how terrified Suzi was because she knew EXACTLY what was happening. It was a Husky Holocost.

Well said!
When I first read the article locally, it brought up even other issues. As a Veterinary Technician caring for and having to see and hear of so many "sled dogs" placed into rescues once they are no longer useful to these companies-which are growing in popularity in the region of the America's-NW(yes it spans beyond Olympic's sled dog racing.

Working dogs, that are very high energy and very sensitive are very hard to place in homes, esp., since they have only ever worked and have lived from pups to 1 and 2 yrs in kennels(never been in a house, some never bathed before,etc). Sad, as the same with Greyhound racing, that they are over bred and easy abused and destroyed.
So, in conclusion, yes "sled dogs" are hard place, a worker of the company should not have had to attempt to take action in the first place, but does that give an excuse to be slaughtered...
There's always other sources to turn to for help(if as in the story, the vet didn't want to put them down-always other DMVs...), after all part of why so many of the dogs are sent through shelters here, at least they are given a second chance and not thrown away.

Demand shut down of whistler outdoor adventures

Humane Society International and the SPCA Laurentides-Labelle partnered to rescue approximately 100 neglected sled dogs in the Upper Laurentians of Quebec. The owner was unable to care properly for his dogs and released them to the care of the SPCA LL....

Tragically, this situation is not unique, with cases of neglect of sled dogs regularly reported in Canada. HSI and the SPCA LL are calling upon the provincial and federal government to pass stronger animal protection laws to ensure the protection of all dogs. For sled dogs, sterilization and planning for the care of the dogs during the eight-month low season should be a priority.
from the HSUS
edit on 9-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Reading this article had me sick to my stomach and bawling my eyes out. They say this at the end of the article

The experts will be examining bone fragments, shell casings and knives and criminal charges will be laid if they find evidence that the animals were tortured or had experienced pain when killed

But this part of it proves that they were indeed tourtued and experienced pain

They were either shot or had their throats slashed, and those who were difficult to kill were "wrestled to the ground and stood on" before being shot in the head

In one case, according to documents from the local health and safety authority, the employee was attacked by an injured dog after running out of ammunition and had to use a knife to kill it.

By the time he had shot his 15th husky, the man said he noticed the other dogs were "experiencing anxiety and stress", the documents said

"He described a guttural sound he had never heard before from the dogs and fear in their eyes."
The documents also told of the man's failed attempt to shoot a husky called Suzie who was the mother of his own pet dog.

The man had to chase the dog through the yard because the horrific noise she made caused him to drop the leash. He then managed to kill Suzie, but not before accidently shooting another dog that was not due to be killed

The charges should be filed the man admitted to it.
edit on 9-5-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join