It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Nuclear Reactor goes on automatic shutdown... reason unknown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Owners of Nine Mile Point Unit 1 probing Monday night's automatic shut down

The owners of the Nine Mile Point Unit 1 this morning are trying to figure out why the recently refueled nuclear reactor automatically shut down at 8:51 p.m. Monday.

The plant responded according to design and automatically shut down with all rods that control the nuclear reaction fully inserting into the reactor, Constellation Energy Nuclear Group said this morning.

"The plant is in a safe and stable condition," the company said in a news release.

The reactor restarted April 19 after being out of service for maintenance and refueling.

“We’re working to identify the cause of the shutdown and to complete any repairs that are necessary to return the unit to service safely and reliably,” said Jill Lyon, speaking for Constellation.

And again... ``Everything is safe``... like TMI was during a partial meltdown was occurring... probably not happening at that nuclear power plant, but you can never trust the government about much anything, especially nuclear reactors.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Seems like a few of the plants around the USA have been having probs since the Japanese Earthquake and Nuke Plant issues started up.

What did you mean by the "TMI"?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina
Seems like a few of the plants around the USA have been having probs since the Japanese Earthquake and Nuke Plant issues started up.

What did you mean by the "TMI"?

TMI : Three Mile Island nuclear power plant. They had a little partial meltdown and were about an hour away from total meltdown... while saying everything was safe.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The reactor shut down, it didnt scram.

Secondly the article says they were running at 47% capacity while repairs were in progress.. Its entirely possible its a maintenance issue.

Lets allow them time to figure it out bvefore we gone down the road of fearmongoring.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Great find Vitchilo,
Something is not quite right is it?

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Its entirely possible its a maintenance issue.

Its entirely possible its a STUXNET issue also.
Georgia shutdown too,

PEACE,
RK
edit on 4-5-2011 by Rigel Kent because: to add Georgia

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Would they have radiation alarms that may be triggered? E.g background radiation increases during repairs, not calibrated, then plant made critical for operation then threshold alarms are active and now triggered thanks to fukushima..?
edit on 4/5/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I would say that there may be a malfunction on the reactor somewhere, but overall to me the precautionary auto shutdown worked. Seems like the safety feature worked, so it does not seem bad to me. Where the Japanese plant did not.
edit on 5/4/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
I would say that there may be a malfunction on the reactor somewhere, but overall to me the precautionary auto shutdown worked. Seems like the safety feature worked, so it does not seem bad to me. Where the Japanese plant did not.
edit on 5/4/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

I do not think it works quite like that mate,
If there is a system fault anywhere, the PLC will throw up an audio and visual alarm. if nothing is done then further alarms will activate at intervals.
After the first alarm, the operators will try to isolate the fault if possible and diagnose the problem. They may activate back up or support systems if necessary.
The goal is to keep the reactor online at all costs and he who shuts it down will have some serious, even career affecting questions to answer. It is the same in the Power Gen Industry the world over.
For a reactor to be shut in, there needs to be a serious chain of faults.
shutting a reactor in is not as simple as flicking a switch and is absolutely the last resort for a NPS and their operators.

PEACE,
RK

top topics

join