It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did player clatter sexism ref on purpose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
sexism-storm soccer official sian massey was caught in a new row yesterday - amid claims a player deliberately knocked her to the ground.
tv viewers saw cardiff city's kevin mcnaughton, 28, slam into the assistant as she ran the line during mondays home defeat by middlesborough.
he hurtled into her while sprinting to the touchline to keep the ball in play, then ran off with no apology.
sian 25 - unwittingly at the centre of the sexism storm that cost sky sports hosts andy gray and richard keys their jobs in january - collected her flag and carried on.
hundreds of fans claimed online that the charge was deliberate - including cardiff city supporters.
city plan to take no action. a club spokesman said "kevin didnt do it on purpose-he was trying to get the ball"

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
It looks to me as if it was just momentum that caused McNaughton to collide with her. He should have said ''sorry'', though.

She should really have taken evasive action and taken a couple of steps back when she saw the players heading towards her, but then again, it all happened in a split-second.

I wonder what Andy Gray would have to say about this ?

edit on 4-5-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Having reviewed it a few more times, I have to say that it does look worse than just ''momentum'', as he practically shoulder-charges her.

Also, bear in mind that his team were getting stuffed in a game which blew their chance of automatic promotion, so he probably wasn't in the best of moods at the time.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

to be honest, it looks like he did it on purpose to me.. he seems to sidestep towards her after he arrives at the line.

edit to add.. i never saw the game, but maybe she made a bad decision during the match..

edit on 4/5/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

If he hadn't just switched direction and she wasn't directly where the ball went, I would think it was deliberate. The motion does look that way. But I'm pretty sure he didn't even know she was there until he hit her, he was just so focused on the ball. And the way he moves during looks odd, but the way he moves after, his hands and arms, look very much to me like someone who has just run into someone accidentally.

Good thread, on account of me like game with go ball.
I approve of things I like.
edit on 4-5-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button makes me happy

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Don't forget, though, that he's kept the ball in play and is attempting to run down the line, right where she is standing. That is the natural course he would have taken, regardless of whether there was someone standing there or not.

It could be a bit of both. Maybe he barges her out of frustration as she's accidentally obstructing his path. Either way, an apology from him would have been the polite thing to do, but we are talking about professional footballers here.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Can someone explain the sexism thing?

Football is something entirely different in America and, basically, no one gives a damn so we didnt hear of this supposed scandal

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

Basically she is the first female official, and for obvious reasons there was alot of attention on her..
Then a story came out about 2 presenters from the main football show In the uk, made sexist comments about her, then it came out that they had also made sexist comments about other woman.. They both got fired..
If you google Richard keys, Andy gray and sian Massey I'm sure you will get hundreds of articles explaining what was said and giving the full story..

I also heard another theory behind this, and it's got something to do with Andy gray suing the news of the world, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch who also owns sky from which the 2 guys presented a show on..
Murdoch publications subsequently ran damming stories and effectively damaged Andy gray's reputation beyond repair..

top topics

join