It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seal Team 6: inside the Osama bin Laden assassination squad

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Seal Team 6 does not exist.

you do have a point there.
SEAL Team 6 was used during the cold war
to make the russians think we had 6 teams
when we only had 2 at that time.
As far as how many teams we have now
is anybody's guess.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by boondock-saint

Gee...no...I thought those were real men

lmao

just had to laugh at that one

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Ok Im not saying that they did bring an M60 but I think it would be very good for this operation if 1 was brought by one of the 2 dozen involved because although planned you have to be prepared for any situation. And an M60 would give you alot more options... Those pics are posted with the links I provided, but Ill post some Seal Pics....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by 5StarOracle

Ok Im not saying that they did bring an M60 but I think it would be very good for this operation if 1 was brought by one of the 2 dozen involved

it is very likely that maybe an M-60 was used from the helo.
As they are standard side mounted weapons
for helos. However, taking one inside the compound
would have been ill-advised. Getting stuck in a doorway
because ur weapon is too big just makes u a sitting
duck in a firefight. Not even mentioning it disrupts and blocks
the flow of everyone behind you in the column which is a
hindrance to the flow of clearing room by room.

edit on 5/4/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
HEROS?? Bunch of idiots if you ask me, going to kill the most important person in the past 20 years and expecting to be alive after?

In all secrecy, they’ll be murdered one way or another. It’s just matter of time.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

hahahaahhahaha That's funny... You think that this world is a Tom Clancy book don't you? The best part of it, is you really believe what you have typed... lmfao...

Go for the lowest hanging fruit my friend.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by amkia

Really and just who might you be? Do you really think your in the shadows? They see in the dark and thier bosses like looking into people who go about talking like you just did.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I am not saying the SEALs have never used an M-60
or an M-16. I'm just saying that a slung M-60's use in the
assault in Abottabad would have been ill-advised
due to the close combat scenario.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Well Thats not how I would picture an M60 being used for this mission nor did I say that, But If the choppers were downed and imagine those living nearby were also in on OBL hiding out, or the Pakistan military involved in a bad way. An M60 would become a big asset in a hurry, and you are the one saying they would never use one, I disagree...

Ok I see you changed your mind abit, I know thats tough for you to do...

edit on 4-5-2011 by 5StarOracle because: add

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Anyone else not like the use of the word "assassinate" in regards to what happened to OBL?

IMO, his death does not qualify, since the word is usually reserved for heads of state and not vermin like OBL. If someone kills the head of the mafia or other criminal organization, no one says they were assassinated. Same for OBL.

edit on 5/4/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by 5StarOracle

the argument is really irrelevant since OBL
has been dead since 2001.

thank goodness for the ISI and Pak military
for going in and taking pics. Now we have
comparison video and pics to compare
whatever evidence the US releases to
the MSM
No covering it up like they
did on 9/11.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Couple of points:

If anyone thinks they are going to find pics online of the SMU commonly called "Seal Team 6", you're wrong.

Second thing is "Seal Team 6" is not operationally under the SEALs; it is a unit recruited from all the SEAL teams. A SEAL can't apply to go in for 6, 6 recruits SEALs and retrains them their way.

If you want a measure of how elite these folks are, I've heard that around 50% of the SEALs recruited don't cut it.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Couple of points:
If anyone thinks they are going to find pics online of the SMU commonly called "Seal Team 6", you're wrong.
Second thing is "Seal Team 6" is not operationally under the SEALs; it is a unit recruited from all the SEAL teams. A SEAL can't apply to go in for 6, 6 recruits SEALs and retrains them their way.
If you want a measure of how elite these folks are, I've heard that around 50% of the SEALs recruited don't cut it.

now that I WOULD believe

thanks for the info
star

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Regarding the M60, its design in part comes from the WWII German FG42, which was designed and used by paratroopers. The M60 has a buttstock and a large pistol grip for a reason, so that it can be fired from the shoulder or hip while one is moving, either moving forward, or as defensive fire while retreating. Even so, it is not very effective when fired from the the shoulder or hip, as it is only accurate at very close range unless fired from a bipod, tripod or pintel mount.

There may have been an M60 inside the compound for the Geronimo operation, but it would have been outside of the house itself, to provide defensive fire if there were any attacks launched against them from outside the compound.... and apparently there was no need for it to be fired.

I have my doubts that an M60 would have been on the ground there anyway, and the choppers probably had miniguns mounted instead of an M60.

No one mentioned the M249, and I am fairly sure that is in the teams inventory too. I don't think there are many weapons that they don't have available to them at short notice.

edit on 4-5-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

This guy is right. An M60 is not the weapon of choice in close quarters DA operations, it's too big, heavy and bulky and the only advantage it offers is better suppressing fire.
Since suppressing fire in such a tight area is not a priority (Speed is), an M-60 would probably not have been used.
My guess is that smaller assault rifles like the M4 and SMG's like the P90 and MP5 were used because of the many advantages that these weapons provide, particularly speed, accuracy and stealth, which are crucial in such operations.

Furthermore, for those who don't know this, there is a difference between "regular" SEALs and DEVGRU which was formerly named Seal Team 6 or ST6.
Put simply, SEALS are super-marines Special Forces and DEVGRU is the best that the SEALS have to offer.
Much like 1st SFOD-D (Also known as "Delta Force"), DEVGRU/ST6 is part of the "Tier One" Special Forces, which is, if I may put it this way, "The Special Forces of Special Forces". It doesn't really get much more elite than this.

Osama never stood a snowballs chance in hell against these guys, no matter how many bodyguards he may have had.

IT--
edit on 4-5-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. People on ATS post about seeing UFO's daily and no one believes them, Members always ask for evidence. So why exactly should we believe the government? Is word of mouth proof?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Anyone else not like the use of the word "assassinate" in regards to what happened to OBL?

I agree, assassinate means "to murder (a person, esp a public or political figure), usually by a surprise attack" Murder requires the killing to be unlawful (otherwise it's a killing, not murder)... So unless you think the killing wasn't lawful, it can't be an assassination.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Very misleading as you will never know the insides of the squad or how they operate. This is way above top secret Wink Wink nod nod. Kind of misleading like you had some top secret info.

Just saying

Better to say.

They did it, Seal team 6 thanks Joe biden for letting the cat out of the bag.

Opens mouth and inserts foot.

How about outing a covert op you donkey.

Should not even of told uncle Joe as we all know he has a big mouth.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
lmao

this article is about SEAL team 6
but the image they show is NOT a SEAL team.

Those are NOT Navy Personnel.

1) Those are US Army Uniforms with Army unit patches.

2) That soldier has an M-60 strapped. SEALS do not use M-60's.

3) the other soldier has an M-16 30 round banana clip in his hand. SEALs do not use
M-16's either.

You are right, SEAL use a sterlie uniform with no insignia or patches. You can clearly see the circular patch on the right shoulder of the closest solider.

The M16 was phased out several years ago for the M4 carbine. they look the same and the M16 is a generic name much like Xerox. At the end of the day they are very close in design

Your M-60 theory is unfortunately incorrect. Our military has not used the 60 for a long time as a field carried weapon for our soliders. What you are looking at,is a SAW M249 light infranty assault weapon(5.56 NATO) that replaced the 60, years ago and the SEALS certainly do carry them.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

Closer to the M60 replacement than the M249 would be the M240:

M240E4/M240B The M240B was the standard infantry medium machine gun of the U.S. Army and is currently standard in the U.S. Marine Corps. It is also in service with the U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard. It comes configured for ground combat with a buttstock and bipod, though it is also mounted aboard ships and small boats. It is almost always referred to as an "M240 Bravo" or even just "240" verbally, but always written as M240B.

Mainly because it fires the same caliber ammo as the M60, more effective against trucks and lightly armored targets than the 5.56.

new topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join