It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany discusses politician's reactions on OBL's death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
In a yesterday's press statement Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, said she is "glad that Bin Laden's killing could be accomplished".

There is so much talk right now in Germany whether a politician (and furthermore especially a politician belonging to the Christian Democratic Union) should say something like this.

I had an argument this morning with a co worker who criticized Merkel's statement (ok, that's her opinion and I respect that) AND she condemned EVERYBODY else with such an opinion and that's where our argument started from as I told her, that I do think justice has been done to the thousands of innocent people and (US) soldiers during the attacks on 911 and after that but she really told me that "it's not fair to kill someone on foreign land" and "he deserved a trial"... I replied to her if anybody asked the innocent people during the attacks if they really want to die (and I've been to NY in 2009 to Ground Zero and experienced such a grief I've never felt before so I know what I was talking about, from an emotional standpoint)?

I think if he wasn't killed he would've ended dead anyway after a trial either way...

I do think a politician should choose his/ her words wise and may not tell something like Angela Merkel publicly but on the other hand it shows his/ her emotions towards it and in the end we are all humans.

Of course OBL's death and statements like Merkel's will eventually lead to more anger and terroristic attacks but I also understand people's reactions and relief.

What's your opinion on this argument?
edit on 4/5/11 by Dalbeck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dalbeck
What's your opinion on this argument?

They killed OBL in an extrajudicial manner, and I did not speak out because I wasnt a terrorist...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

experienced such a grief I've never felt before so I know what I was talking about, from an emotional standpoint

Yeah, thanks God someone took the responsibility for the cruel event. Lets go and kill him.

We don't give a f*ck about the rule of law and human rights. Welcome to the free world the pinnacle of civilization.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

It was murder. For it to be justice, there must be due process. Calling this "justice" is a travesty to the sacrifices of all those men and women who have died fighting for liberty and justice.

What we did was an act of war against Pakistan (by conducting military ops in their country without their approval) and murder of a private citizen not of our country.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalbeck

I think Osama got what was coming to him, and received that punishment in lines with Sharia law -

An eye for an eye.

I think there was ample justification to end his existance without a trial.

@ bigfurrycitizen -
Just like he murdered 3k civilians.
Pakistan was harbouring Bin Laden. I still have seen no evidence that they were in the dark. The compound had to be built, the moeny came from somewhere, it wsas near a Pakistan military base and his location was not in the tribal fronteir.

He bbrought this upon himself.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
we cannot pick and choose when we will observe sharia law as relevant. if we are to throw a fit, nationally, about a judge alowing whatever binding arbitration was agreed upon contractually for two muslim brothers, then our mlitary options need to also represent our values in addition to the values of the nation we are operating within.

regardless, the legal definition of us conducting unapproved ops in Pakistan is "war". It is an act of war, per the constitution.

Osama may have gotten what was coming to him. But i prefer justice. I ask people to expect more of themselves than satisfying bloodlust. After all, we is a former US ally, doing exactly what the US trained him to do. Only back then we called it "freedom fighter", not "terrorist".

Perhaps, using your logic, the US got what was coming to it, too? The prodigal son came home to roost (if i can mix metaphors badly). Not that i celebrate that in any form. But if he did 9.11 he was only doing what the US trained him to do, and encouraged him to do. It was a monster of our own making.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Pakistan was harbouring Bin Laden. I still have seen no evidence that they were in the dark. The compound had to be built, the moeny came from somewhere, it wsas near a Pakistan military base and his location was not in the tribal fronteir.

Do you have ANY proof or is this just your opinion?
I don't think it would be that hard to hide one person..
Especially if they stayed indoors..

new topics

top topics

join