It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 Warning Signs Of A Possible 9.2-9.6 New Madrid Earthquake Cluster Sequence In May

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog
reply to post by eeks4

No eeks, I was replying to Redcloaks initial post, not you

ok thank you....

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This 8.2 of 1811 went far and wide. I always mistakenly thought I lived on or near the newMadrid fault line, but I unlazied myself and did a little research, and it lies South in and from Illinois. I am very far up North. But....OMG, a 9, I wouldn't be safe.

en.wikipedia.org...

This event shook windows and furniture in Washington, D.C., rang bells in Richmond, Virginia, sloshed well water and shook houses in Charleston, South Carolina, and knocked plaster off of houses in Columbia, South Carolina. In Jefferson, Indiana, furniture moved and in Lebanon, Ohio, residents fled their homes

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I do believe that NM could experience a big one 'soon' but find your arguments poor at best. How about a little 'science', maybe like this

There is a long approx east west failed rift from east Texas thru Oklahoma in to Arkansas and possibly beyond. This intersects of comes damn close to the Reelfoot rift which underlies NM. So what would activate these old rifts. Allow me to suggest 'post glacial rebound' en.wikipedia.org...

The north central US was under miles of ice during the last ice age. With it gone the land is now rising, and the land south of the glaciers is 'sinking'. Not a great amount but this has been going on for thousands of years.

From the above link

The combination of horizontal and vertical motion changes the tilt of the surface. That is, locations farther north rise faster. This effect is seen in lakes, where land rises at the northern end and sinks at the southern end. The Great Lakes of North America lie approximately on the 'pivot' line between rising and sinking land. Lake Superior was formerly part of a much larger lake together with Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, but post-glacial rebound raised land dividing the three lakes about 2100 years ago.[9] Today, southern shorelines of the lakes continue to experience rising water levels while northern shorelines see falling levels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This places stress on the earth's crust and the old rifts are weak spots in the crust which will react to the stress. Look at it like a saltine cracker with the 'seam' east/west. Lie it flat, push down just north of the seam and lift the far northern end. SNAP! Yes, Reelfoot runs mostly north south but it is still a weak spot subject to reacting to stress.

Given the thickness of the earth's crust, when bending due to stress, the bottom will split open, allowing magma to enter/rise, and/or the top will compress.

And, recent technology allows science to detect magma plumes. So, IMO, they know where it is prone to happen but the when and magnitude are not an exact science..

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Here is a link of the Navy future US map, interesting youtube video also,
supporting some of OP's statements.

rickmick.com...

Thanks for sharing your well thought out prediction with us

I just found an update to this. New Madrid, Mayan Calendar, Changing The Face Of The United States 2012? rickmick.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just felt and incredibly highpitched soundwave smack my whole body.

This was like dog whistle high..... I think may is being very conservative.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
OP, are you still there?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Bump and a question. Everyone is considering fracking the cause of all the small quakes in OK. If there is a rift in eastern OK could these small quakes be caused by changes in the rift?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Could you give me a reason why TPTB would want to split the country in half? I have been trying to think of something that sounds plausible, and keep coming up empty.
Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join