It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Geronimo" Was The Code Name For the Operation to Capture Bin Laden Dead or Alive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Interesting new details released in the article below including the code name for the capture of Bin Laden.

Misc. items from the article:

How the President Tracked The End Of Bin Laden
Simon Mann, Washington
May 4, 2011

The 20 or so Navy SEALs - the elite commandos trained for sea, air and land assaults - descended on bin Laden's three-storey compound in Abbottabad, about 50 kilometres north of the capital, Islamabad.

It was shortly after 1am local time. The SEALs are the super elite - men in their 20s and early 30s, super fit, highly intelligent, clear thinkers and aggressive. Most are family men. They had trained on replicas of bin Laden's compound that had been built in the US.

There was momentary horror at the White House when one of their Black Hawk helicopters failed.

And the administration's security team would hold its breath as a fierce 40-minute firefight ensued. But then came the first sign that the top-secret mission to get bin Laden had paid off, in the form of a coded message sent back to Washington from the SEALs. It read simply: ''Geronimo-E KIA''.

Geronimo was the code name for the operation to capture bin Laden dead or alive: the attached letters stood for ''enemy killed in action''.

Even then, the tight group stayed relatively mute. They wanted to confirm that their crack team had left Pakistan air space safely. And they wanted proof that the world's most wanted man had finally been ''brought to justice''.

The SEALs measured the corpse, whose height matched bin Laden's 193 centimetres, and transmitted photographs to CIA headquarters just outside Washington, where face-recognition technology suggested a 90-95 per cent match. Bin Laden and his family lived on the second and third floors, and they were cleared last, with bin Laden killed in the last five or 10 minutes of the siege.

Read more: www.smh.com.au...

edit on 5/4/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

where does the DNA analysis and his wife positively identifying the body fit into this story??

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Alleged theft of skull
Geronimo's grave at Fort Sill, Oklahoma in 2005.

Six members of the Yale secret society of Skull and Bones, including Prescott Bush, served as Army volunteers at Fort Sill during World War I. It has been claimed by various parties that they stole Geronimo's skull, some bones, and other items, including Geronimo's prized silver bridle, from the Apache Indian Prisoner of War Cemetery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Alexandra Robbins, author of a book on Skull and Bones, says this is one of the more plausible items said to be in the organization's Tomb.[16]

In 1986, former San Carlos Apache Chairman Ned Anderson received an anonymous letter with a photograph and a copy of a log book claiming that Skull & Bones held the skull. He met with Skull & Bones officials about the rumor; the group's attorney, Endicott P. Davidson, denied that the group held the skull, and said that the 1918 ledger saying otherwise was a hoax.[17] The group offered Anderson a glass case containing what appeared to be the skull of a child, but Anderson refused it.[18] In 2006, Marc Wortman discovered a 1918 letter from Skull & Bones member Winter Mead to F. Trubee Davison that claimed the theft:[19]

The skull of the worthy Geronimo the Terrible, exhumed from its tomb at Fort Sill by your club... is now safe inside the tomb and bone together with his well worn femurs, bit and saddle horn.[19]

The second "tomb" references the building of Yale University's Skull and Bones society.

en.wikipedia.org...

some fuel for that other crazy thread about william drinking blood in osama skull
weird coincidence because i am not buying the idea at all

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Osama was no Geronimo...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

Here's an article discussing that subject which was published May 3rd:

Geronimo: A century after his death, mysteriously tied to Bin Laden, the CIA and Skull and Bones
May 3, 2011
2:17 pm

Geronimo was an Apache leader in the 19th century. More than 100 years after his death the Native American warrior's name is back in the news when it was revealed that "Geronimo" was the code name used for Osama Bin Laden while the U.S. special forces plotted to kill him.

To read more go to the source here:latimesblogs.latimes.com...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I was watching Rachale Maddow earlier and she played clips of all the contradicting reports. Osama used his wife as a shield and she was shot. Then she was somewhere else and killed. Then she was not killed. Geronimo was the name of the operation, no it was the codename for Osama, no it was the code that he was captured or killed. Seems like they are in too big a rush to report because in about 5 minutes I think I heard 20 different stories.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
And it appears that the use of the code name "Geronimo" has upset some Native Americans as reported here:

Codename: 'Geronimo' for Osama Bin Laden Mission Angers Some Native Americans
May 03, 2011 6:50 PM
ABC News’ Terry Moran reports:

As the country rejoices over the killing of Osama Bin Laden, many Native Americans have different reactions: shock, dismay, hurt.

That’s because the Navy SEALs used “Geronimo” as the codename for mission to capture or kill Bin Laden.

Read more here: blogs.abcnews.com...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

everybody remember this story.www.dailymotion.com... This is shaping up to be very strange indeed. It talks about how bushes grandfather stole Geronimo skull and its being used for rituals in the skull and bones club. Im guessing they now have a new skull to do rituals with

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by VicDiaz89
reply to post by manta78

where does the DNA analysis and his wife positively identifying the body fit into this story??

Supposedly the DNA analysis took place onboard the USS Carl Vinson, prior to burial at sea. I always thought DNA analysis took about 72 hrs or so. But they conducted the raid, killed OBL, ID'd him visually, ID'd thru DNA onboard the Carl Vinson, then buried him at sea, all in less than a 12 hr period.

As for his wife, supposedly she was there in the room and they asked her to ID him.

Very "impressive" and "efficient", all in a nice neat little package.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I was advised today by another member of a correction I needed to make in this thread to be more accurate, so here's the update:

The Seals code name for Bin Laden himself was "Geronimo", but the code name for the overall operation/mission was operation "Neptune's Spear".

Code Name
There were conflicting reports in the media regarding what the official mission code name was. Originally reported as "Operation Geronimo" it was subsequently reported as "Operation Neptune['s] Spear"[60][115]; with "Geronimo" as the code name for bin Laden himself.[116]

Neptune's spear is the trident, which appears on U.S. Navy Special Warfare insignia, with the three prongs of the trident representing the combined sea, air and land operational capability of SEALs.

Geronimo references the Native American leader of the Chiricahua Apache who defied the U.S. government and eluded capture. Unlike bin Laden, Geronimo was never killed by U.S. military forces. Channel 4 News said "According to some analyses today, the U.S. military chose the code name because bin Laden, like Geronimo, had evaded capture for years. If they were trying to avoid mythmaking, it seems they chose the wrong code name."[117] Once bin Laden was killed, one of the commanders reported "Geronimo E-KIA", meaning that the mission had ended with the "Enemy Killed In Action". [118]

Native Americans objected to the use of the name Geronimo. "It's how deeply embedded the 'Indian as enemy' is in the collective mind of America," said Suzan Shown Harjo, president of the Washington, D.C.-based Morning Star Institute, a Native American advocacy group. "There is little doubt [the] use of a leader like Geronimo to refer to bin Laden is ill-advised," wrote Keith Harper, an attorney and member of the Cherokee Nation, in an email with a reporter for the The Washington Post.[119]

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Since you were kind enough to visit my thread I thought to drop in and give you a S&F
My only comment is they picked a lousy codename... Couldn't they have used Martha Stewart instead... A name most equate with "Scary" already

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I feel mixed about this because of the history of the Geronimo and our people.He was a great warrior and if it was out of respect and honor I can see that but if it wasn't then that hurts.To relate Geronimo and Osama in any way can be seen as a dishonor.The fact that his grave was robbed and the theories behind it make it even more controversial. The link that they are hopefully trying to make is that Geronimo fought terrorists same as what the seals were doing and not Geronimo was a terrorist and Osama also.It can be construed differently.Geronimo has ancestors in the tribe today great grandchildren etc. What do you think these ancestors are to think?Out of respect let these people live in peace and leave us out of it.
Operation Dick(cheney) n Bush would do
edit on 6-5-2011 by A por uvas because: op

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
Seems like they are in too big a rush to report because in about 5 minutes I think I heard 20 different stories.

EXACTLY!!! The media is unquestioningly reporting everything the second anyone says it, and then blaming sources when the story changes.

If the media exercised a little restraint and fact-checking, instead of feeding the 24 hour media frenzy, this wouldnt be an issue...

top topics

join