It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Political Compass Rates US 2004 Candidates

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The following site has a great test to see where you fall on the political spectrum.

www.politicalcompass.org...

It's a great way to kill some time.

Here's how they rated the US presidential candidates:




-koji K.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by koji_K]




posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
They left out Mike Badinark


Its kinda funny they would have a Libertarian side but leave out the Libertarian candidate



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
They left out Mike Badinark


Its kinda funny they would have a Libertarian side but leave out the Libertarian candidate


just a guess.. maybe Badinark decided to run after they made this chart? i don't know much about him.

-koji K.



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
koji, you posted this link in another thread, i responded there concerning the chart, if you would refer to that posting if you're interested. sorry, here's the link to that thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-7-2004 by astroblade]



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
koji, you posted this link in another thread, i responded there concerning the chart, if you would refer to that posting if you're interested. sorry, here's the link to that thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-7-2004 by astroblade]


thanks. yeah, the other thread made me remember this site. i thought i'd give this one it's own thread though since i think people would find it interesting outside the bush/giuliani context. replied to ya in the other thread.

-koji K.



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I just have to ask, but which John Kerry did you use to rate his position on the political compass?
*Zing*



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
I just have to ask, but which John Kerry did you use to rate his position on the political compass?
*Zing*


i know, it surprised me also. i quoted the same snippet in an answer to astroblade on the thread mentioned above, but since it's come up here, i'll paste it here too:

this is from the sites FAQ:

You've got liberals on the right. Don't you know they're left ?

This response is exclusively American. Elsewhere neo-liberalism is understood in standard political science terminology - deriving from mid 19th Century Manchester Liberalism, which campaigned for free trade on behalf of the capitalist classes of manufacturers and industrialists. In other words, laissez-faire or economic libertarianism.

In the United States, 'liberals' are understood to believe in leftish economic programmes such as welfare and publicly funded medical care, while also holding liberal social views on matters such as law and order, peace, sexuality, women's rights etc. The two don't necessarily go together.

Our Compass rightly separates them. Otherwise, how would you label someone like the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan who, on the one hand, pleased the left by supporting strong economic safety nets for the underprivileged, but angered social liberals with his support for the Vietnam War, the Cold War and other key conservative causes ?

-koji K.



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i do think it's perhaps a bit off, hahaha, but hey i gotta say it is very interesting.



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just took the test:

Economic Left/Right: -8.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.74

Yikes!

That was fun and I expected to be in the bottom left quadrant but not THAT far.


Edit: What even scarier is that I have ALREADY read NINE of the books on the Libertarian-Left reading list that they provided!

[edit on 7/30/2004 by Gools]



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Just took the test:

Economic Left/Right: -8.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.74

Yikes!

That was fun and I expected to be in the bottom left quadrant but not THAT far.


Edit: What even scarier is that I have ALREADY read NINE of the books on the Libertarian-Left reading list that they provided!

[edit on 7/30/2004 by Gools]


wow! i took the test and was slightly in the bottom left quadrant. i tried to save my results but i just checked now and the page didnt save correctly, so i cant give exact figures. grrrr.


-koji K.



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Here are my scores.

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

So I am a libertarian leftist, or a leftist libertarian. Now I understand what Chomsky is talking about when he says he is a libertarian socialist.

Here is a link to my graph. Could someone please tell me if they can link to it properly.

The Political Compass



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by donguillermo
Here are my scores.

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

So I am a libertarian leftist, or a leftist libertarian. Now I understand what Chomsky is talking about when he says he is a libertarian socialist.

Here is a link to my graph. Could someone please tell me if they can link to it properly.

The Political Compass


I can see it fine (although it may be a temporary thing.)

It would be really interesting to post the results of ATS members. Once we get a bunch of scores up I could make a graph in Excel with all of them on it. I'll retake the exam myself soon and post.

EDIT: My scores are:

Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.38

www.digitalronin.f2s.com...

-koji K.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by koji_K]

[edit on 30-7-2004 by koji_K]



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
In perusing the website, I see they include the following individuals on the libertarian left:

Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
The Dalai Lama

The libertarian left reading list includes:

Michael Moore
Noam Chomsky

I like the company I am keeping.



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by donguillermo
In perusing the website, I see they include the following individuals on the libertarian left:

Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
The Dalai Lama

The libertarian left reading list includes:

Michael Moore
Noam Chomsky

I like the company I am keeping.


I was happy to find JK Galbreith there too.


Oddly, I find myself closest to Al Sharpton...

Have you checked out the quiz? It's very interesting: www.digitalronin.f2s.com...

-koji K.

[edit on 30-7-2004 by koji_K]



posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
That's a great quiz!
Very well thought out, graphing and all.

Let's see... I am:

Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.15

So, I'm 1/2 Authoritarian Right and 1/2 Libertarian Right, right on the line between the two.


I'm closest to Gerhard Schroder and Paul Martin, two guys I know nothing about.



posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
I'm closest to Gerhard Schroder and Paul Martin, two guys I know nothing about.


Paul Martin = Prime Minister of Canada
Gerhard Schroder = Chancelor (president?) of Germany

I, like DonGuillermo also like the company I keep.


I'm a big fan of Chomsky myself and as I said I have read nine of the books on that list. I don't know JK Galbreith though. What's his/her deal?



posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
I'm closest to Gerhard Schroder and Paul Martin, two guys I know nothing about.


Paul Martin = Prime Minister of Canada
Gerhard Schroder = Chancelor (president?) of Germany

I, like DonGuillermo also like the company I keep.


I'm a big fan of Chomsky myself and as I said I have read nine of the books on that list. I don't know JK Galbreith though. What's his/her deal?


Galbreith was an economic scholar and politician (was the US ambassador to India for a while I think). He's written a few books, two of which are classics.. "The Affluent Society" and "The Great Crash". I've read the latter and found it very informative and well-written.

cepa.newschool.edu...

-koji K.



posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Economic Left/Right: 1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74


So I guess, in relative terms, I really am as right-wing as donguillermo says I am.


Must be all that Ayn Rand I read as a kid.


At least neither of us seem much interested in a pair of jackboots, so we can agree on that.


Oh what fun to brand ourselves. It would be interesting to take the test again in a few months. I can already feel myself drifting toward anarchy.


Edit: A r not az gud a spellr az i thot i wuz.



[edit on 7/31/2004 by Majic]



posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by donguillermo
Here are my scores.

Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.15

So I am a libertarian leftist, or a leftist libertarian. Now I understand what Chomsky is talking about when he says he is a libertarian socialist.

Here is a link to my graph. Could someone please tell me if they can link to it properly.

The Political Compass


Libertarian socialism is another term for anarchism, or at least the major strain in anarchist thought, akin to "anarcho-communism." Chomsky considers himself an anarchist, more specifically a libertarian socialist (I think I'm paraphrasing him, there).

www.geocities.com...

I consider myself a libertarian socialist:
Economic Left/Right: -9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.44



posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Galbreith was an economic scholar and politician (was the US ambassador to India for a while I think). He's written a few books, two of which are classics.. "The Affluent Society" and "The Great Crash". I've read the latter and found it very informative and well-written.

cepa.newschool.edu...


Thanks for the info. Koji_k.
More to add to my long (and getting longer) reading list!



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join