It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Australian media is saying about the OBL killing ... may surprise you!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

I don't think gemini is serious though, I think he/she's just one of those posters that try to get a rise out of people online. If hope so anyway.

In all seriousness, thank you for serving alongside our soldiers. Hopefully, once the dust settles, my fellow Americans will take some time to reflect on how they've behaved exactly how those we're fighting would behave. We've lost our way as a country, and allowed our desire for revenge to come before the values that are supposed to seperate us from them.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Just trying to lighten things up a bit.

I don't think gemini is serious though, I think he/she's just one of those posters that try to get a rise out of people online. If hope so anyway.

In all seriousness, thank you for serving alongside our soldiers. Hopefully, once the dust settles, my fellow Americans will take some time to reflect on how they've behaved exactly how those we're fighting would behave. We've lost our way as a country, and allowed our desire for revenge to come before the values that are supposed to seperate us from them.

Thanks for your thanks - it's appreciated.

I think the western world has lost its way - and it's saddening.

However, each time we question these reactions, we keep them in check to a certain degree. Hopefully we can stem, to some extent, the trickle so it doesn't become the tide.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

I think the western world has lost its way - and it's saddening.

One could argue its the same path we've always been on; war. deceit, conquest...

same story.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Food for thought:

Due to the complexities of international law, many of the world's navies have been opting to set Somali pirates adrift without fuel or navigational equipment after capture. This all but assures death for the pirates when caught deep in international waters.

Documented cases include the Russian, Dutch and Danish fleets. It is assumed that undocumented cases are prevalent, so it is not a giant leap to think the navies of most other countries have been acting in the same manner.

Keeping this in mind:

-do you really think your country would have handled the matter of OBL differently?
-what is the difference between piracy and terrorism? pirates have been summarily judged and executed since mankind figured out how to float across a pond on a log.
-did your grandparents celebrate the end of world war 2? when news of hitler's death spread? when the japanese surrendered after two cities were leveled by nuclear weapons?
-by what expedient do fundamentalist religious or political movements gain power? votes? appeals to humanity? violence? fear?
-does trial and imprisonment effectively dissuade terrorism?

i have lived in many different regions within the usa, the nyc and dc areas among them. even within the confines of this country, the emotional toll varies. in the nyc and dc areas, people were traumatized in a direct way that people in other areas were not. on each anniversary of september 11, the people of the affected areas go about their business enveloped in a heavy black cloud. tears are shed. in other parts of the country, people sometimes forget what day it even is until they turn on the news.

if you have ever experienced senseless tragedy, you can appreciate the vast emotional divide that can spring.up between you and others who have not shared your experience. if you are a soldier, i expect you know exactly what i am speaking about.

before anyone claims to be able to look down on anyone else regarding matters of death, loss, punishment and revenge, and how they are emotionally expressed, i advise them to take a moment to imagine being in the shoes of those they claim to judge.

link   
To be honest as far as I've seen.. People are more worried about paying their bills , putting food on the table (if they even can) and paying their mortgage (postponing foreclosure) than worrying about OBL's death.. We're worried that the ceiling is going to fall on top of us crushing us. People are starting to wonder if there will be food on the table tomorrow in many cases... Heck so many more than every before do not have it today.

What you see in the Media is not the whole story.. You'd have to live it to understand what times are coming to..

Sure we are happy the guy is gone but really too little too late.... I'd even stretch to say we are furious he was not captured and put on trial..

link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightShift
Food for thought:

Due to the complexities of international law, many of the world's navies have been opting to set Somali pirates adrift without fuel or navigational equipment after capture. This all but assures death for the pirates when caught deep in international waters.

Documented cases include the Russian, Dutch and Danish fleets. It is assumed that undocumented cases are prevalent, so it is not a giant leap to think the navies of most other countries have been acting in the same manner.

Keeping this in mind:

-do you really think your country would have handled the matter of OBL differently?
-what is the difference between piracy and terrorism? pirates have been summarily judged and executed since mankind figured out how to float across a pond on a log.
-did your grandparents celebrate the end of world war 2? when news of hitler's death spread? when the japanese surrendered after two cities were leveled by nuclear weapons?
-by what expedient do fundamentalist religious or political movements gain power? votes? appeals to humanity? violence? fear?
-does trial and imprisonment effectively dissuade terrorism?

i have lived in many different regions within the usa, the nyc and dc areas among them. even within the confines of this country, the emotional toll varies. in the nyc and dc areas, people were traumatized in a direct way that people in other areas were not. on each anniversary of september 11, the people of the affected areas go about their business enveloped in a heavy black cloud. tears are shed. in other parts of the country, people sometimes forget what day it even is until they turn on the news.

if you have ever experienced senseless tragedy, you can appreciate the vast emotional divide that can spring.up between you and others who have not shared your experience. if you are a soldier, i expect you know exactly what i am speaking about.

before anyone claims to be able to look down on anyone else regarding matters of death, loss, punishment and revenge, and how they are emotionally expressed, i advise them to take a moment to imagine being in the shoes of those they claim to judge.

As I have stated multiple times, I have been on the ground, so based on your argument feel I am fully qualified to express my views.

I do not think that we can base the validity of our current actions based on our forefathers actions (ie summary execution of pirates back in the day).

Why are the terrorists doing what they do should be the fundamental question. What do they want? The US out of their country.

What do the majority of Americans want? The US out of the stan and iraq.

Instead of addressing these questions, you feel it valid to justify murder because "well, we've always done it".

???

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

You have to click on 'member's under his 'avatar' zone. at the bottom of the drop down is "ALERT". Click it, and you get a screen that allows you to plead your case. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the T andC to find some appropriate violations.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Mod Note: Kindly refrain from removing staff edits.

edit on 5/5/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

Immortal I admire the way you continue to post [troll] a thread. And I too wished I was the alpha and omega, and that my words are the words of all humanity, etc etc...

BUT all I can assume is that the words of all humanity will resonate with all of humanity. Those words will cut through the differences and will bring a sense of trust in parts of unity. Truth cannot be argued with, and truth resonates. When people know something to be true, it resonates on a deeper level.

Truth has no side, or agenda, it is truth. When true words are spoken by any human that reflect the words of humanity, it unites us, it does not inflame or segregate. I have only seen truth shared a handful of times, through pieces of art, music, words of wise men. As of yet, I am still looking for these truths on ATS, with each member, including myself.

So in advance I thank you for sharing your truth with us, and for reflecting back to me aspects of myself which I do not wish to see, but your truth doesn't resonate within the aspects of my being, and thus it cannot be the truth or word representative of humanity. I wish you well on your journey, may your discoveries be great, the wisdom you gain greater, and the depth of your humanity be the greatest of them all.

Namaste

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The topic of the thread is clearly not each other. Highly recommend sticking to the topic from this point forward.

Thank you.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

ATTENTION...

Stick to the issue at hand, in this case:
What the Australian media is saying about the OBL killing

...and refrain from personally attacking one another. Adherence to this simple request is expected. Those of you who continue to post in this fashion will quickly find their posting privileges suspended.

Consider this fair warning.
edit on 5/5/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Summary "execution" of pirates is happening now. Your navy has been participating as part of the wider antipiracy task force in the Indian Ocean. It is more likely than not that your navy has taken the same kinds of actions as other fleets. Why is blood on your hands cleaner than it is on ours, especially if we are.talking citizen to citizen?

Please answer my question regarding celebration and World War 2. Did the people of Australia celebrate the surrender of the Japanese?

Islamic fundamentalist terrorism long precedes any American occupational war. Saudi based terrorism seeks to undermine American support of the Saudi royal family in order overthrow the Saudi Monarchy. Pakistani and Afghani fundamentalist movements have always been bred, funded and incited by Iranian and Pakistani government, going all the way back to 1979. Look up the birth of the Taliban, the meaning of the word itself, and the attack on the American embassy in Pakistan after Pakistani media reported that American and Israeli forces attacked a mosque in Mecca after the Iranian revolution.

I neither advocate nor condemn the assasination of OBL and the reaction of the crowds in nyc or dc. I did not celebrate; the death of OBL doesn't bring my buddies back. But to each his own, as grief is an individual burden. I do, however, think it is a mistake to think in absolutes when discussing the matters you brought up.

If you are a soldier, you have already committed to the acceptance that where peace and law fails, there is only violence. I too understand this unfortunate fact of life. But if you accept your right to kill when provoked, how can you stand and question my same right or that of my country?

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join