posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 08:27 AM
I feel sadness today about many people's attitudes. Don't get me wrong. I always uphold and respect people's absolute right to their opinions and
points of view, and I am not suggesting that they should not have then. I'm just being honest about how they make me fell. Sad.
These are all things I've actually seen, heard, and read over the last two weeks, without exaggeration. (And no, I'm not trying to make any one of
these synonymous with the others or suggest that if one holds one view, they hold the others. Just want to make that clear.)
- Are you poor? It's your fault. You're lazy. If only you would try, you wouldn't be poor.
- Did you lose everything - maybe even your life - due to a hurricane? You were too stupid to leave.
- Don't wear socially acceptable clothing? You deserve to be shunned. You should know better.
- Dying from a health problem? It's your fault. You're weak and lack willpower and dedication.
- Did you get raped? You shouldn't have dressed the way you did.
- Are you starving/homeless because your benefits ran out? Good. At least you're not sucking up MY tax dollars anymore.
- Are you ugly? Well you should know better than to expect anyone to be nice to you. Get a face lift and a nose job.
- Can't afford (insert good/product/service/need)? You must be poor. which is your fault, and makes you an invalid person who doesn't deserve it in
the first place.
- Suffer from a health or mental health problem that has resisted treatment? Too bad. The good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one.
Your death or suffering isn't my concern.
- You hold THAT opinion? Well you must be (insert derogatory ad hominem attack here.)
- You hold THAT philosophical position? (Repeat above.)
Etc. etc. etc.
All I, at the end of the day, desire is to love, and if at all possible be loved by, my fellow human beings inhabiting this planet with me. But lately
it seems like that simple concept is almost a rebellious act. An act of defiance. Openly talking about compassion is like coming out in favor of
murdering children or something. (Rhetorically speaking.) People look at you like you have lobsters crawling out of your ears. You're naive. You're
weak. You don't count. You're just plain wrongheaded and stupid.
It makes me very sad. I will never call people who hold such views stupid, bad people, invalid, or suggest that they have no right to their views. But
it can and does make me sad, and I just wanted to express that.